View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #2

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I do have to eat gluten-free and low-grain so some of my reccomendations would ordinarily include some gluten-free and grain free cookbooks (like the Primal Blueprint Cookbook and Paleo Comfort Foods).

I'm also not vegetarian, but some of my favorite cookbooks happen to be vegetarian cookbooks, though I often {gasp of horror at the sacrelige) add meat (for example throwing in a smoked pork hock with the skin removed to a pot of vegetarian or even vegan lentil soup).

I'm also partial to slow-cooker recipes (because I'm a lazy cook)
The Everyday Low-Carb Slow Cooker Cookbook: Over 120 Delicious Low-Carb Recipes That Cook Themselves by Kitty Broihier and Kimberly Mayone

I collect cookbooks, but still can't really help you well, because there are just too many variables in what makes a good cookbook. It depends on whether you like ethnic recipes and/or spicy food (LOVE THEM), and how open you are to looking for less available ingredients.

The best advice I would give is to browse the cookbook section of your library. Don't rule out cuisines you don't need (for example some vegetarian and gluten-free cookbooks have recipes so amazing that you don't have to be gluten-free or vegetarian to enjoy them). Also the library is usually free, so you can try before you buy. And many libraries will have the currently most popular cookbooks.

I love the Weight Watchers cookbooks, because they focus on commonly available foods. I especially love the WW books published prior to 1997 especially in the 80's and 90's (because they include nutritional values for the foods as well as exchange plan information, and I love exchange plans).

I have so many favorites, it's hard to pick one, but right now I'm loving the paleo cookbooks (especially those that have lots of low-carb veggie recipes.

Although I recently borrowed the Todd Wilbur Top Secret Recipe books (every one my library had, all his books except the beverage one).

Most of these aren't diet-friendly, but I found many that could be easily adapted, and two of his books are diet-oriented: Low-Fat Top Secret Recipes, and Top Secret Recipes Lite!

I love the "for dummies" and "Everyday" series of cook books.

And I love encyclopedial style cookbooks like, Vegetables, Revised: The Most Authoritative Guide to Buying, Preparing, and Cooking, with More than 300 Recipes
My Etsy shop (currently closed for the summer)
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote