View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
kaplods

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I do have to eat gluten-free and low-grain so some of my reccomendations would ordinarily include some gluten-free and grain free cookbooks (like the Primal Blueprint Cookbook and Paleo Comfort Foods).

I'm also not vegetarian, but some of my favorite cookbooks happen to be vegetarian cookbooks, though I often {gasp of horror at the sacrelige) add meat (for example throwing in a smoked pork hock with the skin removed to a pot of vegetarian or even vegan lentil soup).

I'm also partial to slow-cooker recipes (because I'm a lazy cook)
The Everyday Low-Carb Slow Cooker Cookbook: Over 120 Delicious Low-Carb Recipes That Cook Themselves by Kitty Broihier and Kimberly Mayone

I collect cookbooks, but still can't really help you well, because there are just too many variables in what makes a good cookbook. It depends on whether you like ethnic recipes and/or spicy food (LOVE THEM), and how open you are to looking for less available ingredients.

The best advice I would give is to browse the cookbook section of your library. Don't rule out cuisines you don't need (for example some vegetarian and gluten-free cookbooks have recipes so amazing that you don't have to be gluten-free or vegetarian to enjoy them). Also the library is usually free, so you can try before you buy. And many libraries will have the currently most popular cookbooks.

I love the Weight Watchers cookbooks, because they focus on commonly available foods. I especially love the WW books published prior to 1997 especially in the 80's and 90's (because they include nutritional values for the foods as well as exchange plan information, and I love exchange plans).

I have so many favorites, it's hard to pick one, but right now I'm loving the paleo cookbooks (especially those that have lots of low-carb veggie recipes.

Although I recently borrowed the Todd Wilbur Top Secret Recipe books (every one my library had, all his books except the beverage one).

Most of these aren't diet-friendly, but I found many that could be easily adapted, and two of his books are diet-oriented: Low-Fat Top Secret Recipes, and Top Secret Recipes Lite!

I love the "for dummies" and "Everyday" series of cook books.

And I love encyclopedial style cookbooks like, Vegetables, Revised: The Most Authoritative Guide to Buying, Preparing, and Cooking, with More than 300 Recipes

http://www.dreamstormdesigns.etsy.com
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote