Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-03-2012, 12:59 AM   #1  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Default Spaghetti Squash

Someone in the weight loss support thread mentioned using spaghetti squash and it struck a question: does spaghetti squash actually taste like spaghetti (as in pasta, lol)? I'm not usually a fan of squash but I see spaghetti squash used as a side/pasta replacement a lot and I just wonder what it tastes like! Squash has always been one of those things that I try to like but it never works out. I want it to work, dangit!
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:06 AM   #2  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Each type of squash tastes very different from the next (Acorn, spaghetti, butternut ect...)

My favorite is turning butternut squash into french fries. However, I don't mind spaghetti squash. It doesn't taste like spaghetti and if you go in thinking that it will, you will hate it. However, if you go in realizing it will have a different flavor but still leave you with the feeling that you just ate a nice yummy bowl of pasta, then it might just work for you. I would give it a shot if I were you!
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:01 AM   #3  

Absolutry do try it I like it and am now trying to grow it as havn't seen it for sale for a long time Once you get the method of stringing it with a fork you are right. The sauce is what you taste anyway and the texture is just like spaghetti Go for it
luvs_violets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #4  

I enjoy spaghetti squash. We make it at least once a week in my house. It doesn't taste like spaghetti, but I love the texture and how versatile it is.
TheLauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

It doesn't taste like spaghetti. It gets it's name from the way it looks like spaghetti when you scoop it out of the rind.

I like spaghetti squash, but Plain old' yellow squash is my face. I love butternut squash too. Roasted butternut squash with a tiny bit of cinnamon and brown sugar tastes like sweet potatoes but not quite as heavy.

I wish I knew how to cook squash better.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #6  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I agree... It's definitely NOT spaghetti... but I definitely think it makes a nice alternative to pasta on occasion... for instance, I've always loved Shrimp and Linguini, so here is a variation on that theme...

Roasted Shrimp with Spaghetti Squash

1 medium spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise
salt and freshly ground pepper
3/4 cup water

1lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1tbsp olive oil, plus 1tsp
1tbsp fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
2tbsp coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley

Preheat oven to 375F. Season squash with salt and pepper. Place cut side down, in a 9"x13" baking dish. Add water and bake until tender when pierced with a sharp pairing knife, about 45 minutes. Let cool.

Meanwhile, on a rimmed baking sheet, toss shrimp with 1tsp oil, season with salt and pepper, Roast until cooked through, about 10 minutes

Scoop out seeds from squash and discard. With a fork, scrape flesh into a large bowl. Add shrimp and any cooking juices, lemon juice, and remaining olive oil; toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper, top with parsley, and serve with lemon wedges.

And of course you could easily adapt this basic idea, by using garlic if you like, or substituting pan seared scallops or roasted chicken or even a vegetarian "meat" alternative for the shrimp... and feel free to speed things up by using pre-cooked shrimp and adjust for it accordingly... It's totally up to you...

Enjoy...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 245/241/140

Height: 5' 3"

I just had some spaghetti squash a couple days ago. It has a very bland taste, so be sure to season it with something. I used a bit of pizza sauce on mine and it was very good.
They ARE very expensive, so I saved the seeds out of mine to plant next spring.
Of course that means cutting it in half and scooping out the seeds before baking it. some people bake the squash whole then cut it in half and scoop out the seeds. The texture is stringy, sort of like spaghetti. Good luck, ..... Carbie
A carbie is offline   Reply With Quote