Old 08-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160:(/see ticker/125

Height: 5'4

Default Avocados...

I use MFP to keep track or my carbs and calories. I am very confused about avocados. I keep reading that people say they are high in carbs and it will ruin your diet. I just read in the LC forum that 1 tablespoon of guac has 15g of carbs... what???

MFP says that 1/2 of avocado (which weights around 50g) has 4.3g of carbs BUT 3.3g of fiber... So, am I using the wrong numbers? Or people are just confused about the carbs??
CIELOARGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:06 PM   #2  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

There is approximately 2.2 carbs in a whole avocado (the dark green slinned ones).. not sure how guac would be that high unless it had a lot of additives.
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:15 PM   #3  
Pending Email Confirmation

thnks for the info tiff- i love avos and my heart skipped a beat when i thot they were bad for me.
newjourney2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #4  

When I put one avocado into MFP it said 17 carbs and 13 fiber; MFP bothers me a bit because when you punch in a food no matter how specific you are it gives you a list of foods all entered by different members with different name variations and different serving size availability. As to guacamole when I make it at home I use chopped peppers, chopped onions or scallions, sometimes chopped tomatoes, always lemon or lime juice, and usually sour cream. So if your guac was anything like mine it would account for a couple extra carbs, but not that many, the foods in MFP that do NOT have an asterisk next to them are the ones put in by the app everything else is other members all of whom have different recipes for homemade stuff and different ideas about what matters.

Here is a link from the California Avocado Commission on nutritional info:
http://www.avocado.org/nutrition/

I like their info a whole lot more than MFP, but they are biased.
sheski is offline   Reply With Quote