Old 08-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #1  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

Default Body image and (Irish) dancing

Hello 100lb'ers!

Irish dancing is a bit like my new craze. I'm starting ceilih classes in a couple of weeks (and if I get knackered, well, I'll just take a short break and then keep on going I guess ).

Anyhows I found this thread on an Irish dance forum and thought that some of the comments there might be encouraging to you. Happy reading!

Last edited by salsa chip; 08-28-2012 at 01:59 PM.
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #2  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Good for you for trying it! I'm fascinated, but also hopelessly uncoordinated and very busty, so I haven't gotten up the nerve to try it myself.

You go, girl!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #3  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

What a supportive group on that dance forum! And, how much fun Irish Dancing must be. I took ballet and tap dance classe as a child, and a few years back, when I had previously lost weight, I took up tap again as an adult. (until my teacher quit teaching) I LOVED IT! I might've looked ridiculous, but it was so much fun, and it was great exercise. I've been thinking about taking classes again this fall. You've given me a renewed desire to just go for it! Best of luck to you!
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 263/188/160

Height: 5' 7"

Those were great posts to read.

I like to ice skate, and have done so at 150 lbs and 230 lbs. I often feel huge next to some of the competitive skaters (and had someone make a snarky comment once). But it is good to know there are those who welcome you, no matter your proportions or size.
Strawberry Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #5  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

I know right?

I remember when I first lost weight - at first I felt just horriffic being at the gym with all these super fit and lean people, and then something happened, I started enjoying myself, and it didn't bother me (especially as I noticed my body was, lo! actually obeying the laws of physics and changing and losing pounds) so much any more.

But now I find it hard to get me to the gym, so I'm taking up a few different types of dance (also offered by my gym, handy ) as I think I'll enjoy that then just going and working out alone.

Prepared to look like a dying whale at class. Also prepared not to give a flying stuffing I'm not sure what anyone's reaction is going to be, but I'm gettin ready to throw them a withering look and steadfastly ignore it.

PS I'm also signed up for a short course on Regency dancing (think Jane Austen novels, or rather, the films and tv series ). It might be sedate, but it's still movement! The one time I tried it before I was puffed out
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #6  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Regency is a lot of fun!

I do a lot of folk dancing (Morris, English Country, Contra, etc). I love it but it is hilarious how many people "expect" dancers to be thin.

Let me rant a little about the contra community.

For those of you who don't know, contra is a very flirty form of folk dance. It's like square dancing (ick) in that it is called (there is a caller who gives directions to the dancers on the floor) but way faster and more athletic. It's done in long lines and the social etiquette is that you don't really dance with the person you came with. You dance with whoever, as many people as possible. It is very common (as part of the dance) that you will "travel" down the line and dance with other people before returning to your partner (for that dance). It is fast and a LOT of fun. Also, when you get good at contra, you fill up your dance card because advanced people like to spend most of the evening with other advanced people because there are more "flourishes" that you can do.

Anyway, I can't tell you how many times I have NOT been asked to dance at a contra because I'm fat. People just assume that I can't dance. And I'm an advanced dancer! What usually happens is this. Some guy feels sorry for me and asks me to dance (it is all social etiquette that you dance at least once with a beginner or stranger). He is shocked that I can dance. Then, during the "traveling" down the line I dance with other people who are shocked that I can dance. And then suddenly my dance card is full because WHOA they figured out I can dance. SO annoying.

My Cute Boyfriend, who is WAY more outta shape than me, doesn't have this problem because there are usually more women then me (and yes, I usually ask a woman to dance with me if no one has asked me!).

Anyway, I totally get this. Swing dance clothes are the exact same way. So irritating.

Here's a clip if you want to see more. You'll notice it's a 13 minute video! That's typical for one dance. And in the beginning you'll notice is mellow and slow and it progressively gets faster. Although in this one, it's a little silly because they're doing some weird robot song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t71Ui...eature=related
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #7  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Oh and I found this link too! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr5tZ6jeYXs
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote