Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #1  
Formerly know as Fauxtini

S/C/G: 369.2/ticker/235

Height: 6'1

Default Alternatives to splenda

I eat as naturally and organically as I can.. BUT i just CANT get away from Splenda! Im not a huge fan of honey ( Eat it in my yogurt and green tea), Maple syrup is only good in a few things. Nothing tastes as good in my coffee as splenda! Any suggestions?

I just bought coconut sugar to try... it's delicious, but I don't know how it will mix in my coffee!
mountain mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #2  
Ailsa

S/C/G: 189/ticker/140

Height: 5'7

I like xylitol, made from hardwood, in my tea and coffee. It's not thatttt low calorie at about 10 cal per big spoonful, but I only use one. Honestly I try to sweeten things with fruit like yogurt and cottage cheese, put a tiny bit of stevia in it if it's really bland.

Have you thought about just using a sweetened but low cal creamer? There is also some really yummy sodelicious coconut creamer you can put in your coffee that is pretty low cal and sweetens it just enough.
AilsaPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #3  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Splenda has a sweetener that is supposed to be all natural called nectresse... Someone gave me some to try and I've been using it in my coffee... and to be honest I can't tell the difference between it and splenda... I haven't done any research on it yet, so I hope that I don't find out that it's been linked to cancer to something like that...

I know people have their "issues" with sugar, but I still prefer sugar in the raw in my coffee... I'm sorry but nothing tastes as good to me...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #4  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

I use coconut palm sugar(tastes good in tea and coffee-but not in baked goods inless the baked good is a chocolate based treat)

I like xylitol for my main sweetner.. i use it for baking, tea, coffee, for everything..it tastes great.. just watch for the laxative effect if you have too much at once..oh..its also good for making sugar free candy. It has no bitter aftertaste like splenda
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #5  

thanks for the help guys! the coconut based creamer might be good since i use coconut milk in my coffee anyway! and i have the palm sugar.. just havn't tried it yet! just got it in last night! and if that doesn't work the nectrese is interesting. If it tastes like splenda.. well.... thats what i'm goin for! hehe
Will let you know how it goes!
Old 08-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 6'2

I use organic honey or organic sugar. I've never tried or even heard of coconut palm sugar. I'll be checking that out very soon! If you're on a strict diet meal plan I would stick to organic honey (after a few days you will like it)

Last edited by MasonEnder; 08-29-2012 at 11:22 AM.
MasonEnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #7  
Jonah

S/C/G: 440/Ticker/220

Height: 5" 11

I am surprised that no one mentioned stevia.

It comes in many forms, powdered, liquid or regular plant form and has been a staple in my diet. It does not taste great on its own, but mixed in with a tea, can make the perfect substitute.

no calorie, and I cannot taste the difference in my drinks.

Give it a try!
jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 184/161.9/160

Height: 5' 8"

I highly recommend a product called Just Like Sugar. I learned about it from a local nutritionist. It has NO carbs, NO calories, NO aftertaste, it's all natural, and it does taste just like sugar! I use it on my cereal, in coffee, and anywhere else I use sugar. It can also be used in baking. I kid you not, it is a great sugar replacement. It is sold on Amazon, and it's a bit pricey, and then S & H is more. It lasts awhile for me because I don't use sugar on may things, mainly my coffee. They may sell it elsewhere on-line, or in health food stores. You've got to try it!
fredlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 184/161.9/160

Height: 5' 8"

And it's all natural.......
fredlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #10  

I cannot stand stevia! I tried for a long time! i know over time I will get used to the taste of things, like honey and stevia.... but man... i just can't get used to it!

planning on making coffee with the palm sugar in the aM! Here's hoping!

I try to stay as close to 'living naked' as i can, and this is the info I found at her website!

http://www.eatnakednow.com/cooknaked...weeteners-101/

Last edited by mountain mama; 08-29-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #11  

Ugh, stevia. It makes my tongue feel cold and weird...very strange stuff! Not a fan.

Only because I don't see it mentioned in the thread, have you tried agave nectar? It's no splenda, but I think it might taste better in coffee than honey.
HelenaHandbasket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #12  
Not settling this time

S/C/G: HW/CW/GW 278/149/130

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonah View Post
I am surprised that no one mentioned stevia.

It comes in many forms, powdered, liquid or regular plant form and has been a staple in my diet. It does not taste great on its own, but mixed in with a tea, can make the perfect substitute.

no calorie, and I cannot taste the difference in my drinks.

Give it a try!
Truvia comes from the stevia leaf and I like it much better than Splenda.
Prim2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #13  

helena: love agave and had used it for years. Then i read how it's just as processed as regular sugar.

I tried the coconut palm sugar and it's not bad! Better than the other alternatives so far!! just wish itw as calorie free. At leats its unrefined and pretty yummy!
Old 09-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #14  
Health and Happiness

S/C/G: Restart May 2012: 206/161/fit

Height: 5'5"

I love NuNaturals brand liquid stevia. I think a lot of people don't like stevia because it is very strong. It only takes a teeny tiny amount to do the job, so if you put in too much it will make whatever it is taste terrible. A drop or two, however, is awesome.

I also just use fruit to sweeten a lot of things.
GardenBurglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #15  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Has anyone tried Monk Fruit in the Raw? It's made by the same company that makes Sugar in the Raw which I like... And I've tried Nectresse which has monk fruit as one of its ingredients...

I always wonder just how "all natural" any of these sweeteners truly are though...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote