PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #1  
Battling pcos daily

S/C/G: 235/195/135

Height: 5'5"

Default So demotivated and frustrated

Hi all!! How is everyone doing? I'm feeling very down lately about my weight issues.... I've posted before about my lack of weight loss and I'm still struggling immensely. Starting in April, I began working out 5-6 days a week doing elliptical, interval training, rowing, swimming, stair master, weights/strength training, and walking. Also eating a high protein, low carb diet..., had to cut out soy due to a severe intolerance wreaking havoc on my stomach. I eat about 1000-1200 cal a day.

I have seen an endo recently. She ordered testing for tsh, t4, cortisol, creatanin, progesterone... All came back normal. Although tsh was high normal at 3.6 when 4 is the upper limit. In any case, no endocrine disorders to speak of, other than pcos with ir.

I have troubles with regular bowel movements. Only have maybe 3 a week. If that. Have tried literally everything for this from prescribed meds to herbal remedies to laxatives OTC... Nothing works!!

Has anyone experienced this level of issues with losing weight? I have added some supplements to my diet that are said to help thyroid function/metabolism... Nothing. I saw a nutritionist... Not helpful. In 2008 I had Lapland, had got to 145, but only by starving basically... The dr said maybe it really messed up my metabolism? But seriously... How can I be exercising this much and eating pretty darn healthy and still not lose weight? I don't get it!! Its maddening.

I just needed to vent. Thanks for reading my long rant.
Clmiller0782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 357/ticker/157

Height: 5'6"

A high protein diet can sometimes lead to constipation. Have you tried adding fiber? Make sure to get 20-30mg/day.

Also, for the amount of exercise you're doing, you may not be eating enough calories. It could be stalling your metabolism. 1200 should be the minimum. Try increasing your calories to 1400/day and see if that helps.
saltatoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #3  
Battling pcos daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltatoria View Post
A high protein diet can sometimes lead to constipation. Have you tried adding fiber? Make sure to get 20-30mg/day.

Also, for the amount of exercise you're doing, you may not be eating enough calories. It could be stalling your metabolism. 1200 should be the minimum. Try increasing your calories to 1400/day and see if that helps.

Thanks for the reply! I do eat a lot of fiber -- lots of dark greens, fruit with skins, plus fiber supplement. I have a feeling you may be right about the calories. My best friend suggested the same thing so I think I'll give it a try!! Thanks again
Old 08-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #4  
Fit before 30! 12/6/2013

S/C/G: 200ish/ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

Yes try upping calories!!
MrsH2132012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #5  
Battling pcos daily

Definitely will raise calories
Old 09-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 140.5/135/115

Height: 5'3

I was the same. It took me 4 years to lose 25 lbs. Now, for the first time in my life, I am losing slowly but consistently. I have PCOS and insulin sensitivity problems. I am not sure if all people with PCOS have insulin issues but seems like a good portion does. Because of that, I am eating low gi foods. It is similar to the slow carb diet except I am not taking an off day. I eat black beans every day which is really filling and is known to help with constipation.
beariebearie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #7  
cancerfree!

S/C/G: 295/145

Height: 64"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clmiller0782 View Post
Hi all!! How is everyone doing? I'm feeling very down lately about my weight issues.... I've posted before about my lack of weight loss and I'm still struggling immensely. Starting in April, I began working out 5-6 days a week doing elliptical, interval training, rowing, swimming, stair master, weights/strength training, and walking. Also eating a high protein, low carb diet..., had to cut out soy due to a severe intolerance wreaking havoc on my stomach. I eat about 1000-1200 cal a day.

I have seen an endo recently. She ordered testing for tsh, t4, cortisol, creatanin, progesterone... All came back normal. Although tsh was high normal at 3.6 when 4 is the upper limit. In any case, no endocrine disorders to speak of, other than pcos with ir.

I have troubles with regular bowel movements. Only have maybe 3 a week. If that. Have tried literally everything for this from prescribed meds to herbal remedies to laxatives OTC... Nothing works!!

Has anyone experienced this level of issues with losing weight? I have added some supplements to my diet that are said to help thyroid function/metabolism... Nothing. I saw a nutritionist... Not helpful. In 2008 I had Lapland, had got to 145, but only by starving basically... The dr said maybe it really messed up my metabolism? But seriously... How can I be exercising this much and eating pretty darn healthy and still not lose weight? I don't get it!! Its maddening.

I just needed to vent. Thanks for reading my long rant.
My doctor always suggests watermelon to remove water and "waste". About 2 big slices of watermelon works for me and "there I go!" Good luck!
5yearscancerfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #8  

Height: 5'9"

I do not have pcos, but when I was exercising really intensely and on low calories, I had a six week period where I lost nothing. And I was hungry, and felt depleted and weak. Since I upped my calories by a few hundred and backed off just a bit from exercising so frequently (I still work out hard), I am losing. And right when I did the increase, I lost about eight pounds in less than 2 weeks. I am now within about 10 lbs of my (first) goal, so it is slower now, but I think the right amount of calories makes a difference. You may have to experiment a bit, and be patient, as I understand it can be harder when you have insulin resistance. But remember that the only way to fail is to give up....
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #9  
Battling pcos daily

I think another part of my problem is that I place myself under sooooo much stress to lose weight that it may be increasing my cortisol levels? Maybe if I just don't put so much pressure on myself it will start to come off. I hope so!! I'm tired of my pants being tight :-( its depressing