View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #94
LizRR
IP: 2/28/12-9/1/12

S/C/G: 214/165 (post-partum)/145

Height: 5'6"/39yo

Default Ice Cream vs. Sorbet vs. Sherbet vs. Granita

A quick tutorial on my favorite subject.

Granitas, Sorbets, & Sherbets are great ways to get in your pureed veggies - note that if you make a Sherbet you are adding in a few '0/0/0' extras of Egg Whites & Gelatin.

Ice Cream is a good way to get in your IP packet in the creamiest way possible. You can also add in veggies to make this a full IP meal and also add in Egg White & Gelatin additions to assist with the creamy texture.

Granita - Syrup base plus pureed base. No creaminess, similar texture to shaved ice. Can be made without an ice cream machine.

A basic Granita can be made with a syrup base made from 1 cup Water, Lemon or Lime juice, Sweetener, and any infusions you prefer (Basil, Mint, Vanilla, Lemon/Lime Zest etc). The pureed base can be Cucumber, Lettuce, Zucchini, Rhubarb, etc.

The basic way to make a Granita is to freeze it on shallow baking pans and scrape off the ice crystals with a fork for the classic 'Shaved Ice' texture.

Sorbet - Similar to granita, but whipped, which breaks up the ice crystals and makes the texture lighter than granita, made in an ice cream machine.

Sorbet is made the same as a basic Granita- a syrup base made from 1 cup Water, Lemon or Lime juice, Sweetener, and any preferred infusions (Basil, Mint, Vanilla, Lemon/Lime Zest etc). The same pureed base can be Cucumber, Lettuce, Zucchini, Rhubarb, etc.

The difference is that a Sorbet is 'whipped together', breaking up the ice crystals. You can make it without an ice cream machine by putting the mixture in the freezer & breaking up/vigorously mixing your sorbet every 30-45 minutes.

Sherbet - Similar to Sorbet, with a small amount of creamy additions to a syrup base, made in an ice cream machine.

Sherbet is made by adding additions to the Sorbet/Granita base, typically 1-2 Egg Whites and 1-2 tsp Gelatin to the syrup base made from 1 cup Water, Lemon or Lime juice, Sweetener, and any preferred infusions (Basil, Mint, Vanilla, Lemon/Lime Zest etc). The same pureed base can be Cucumber, Lettuce, Rhubarb, etc.

The additions add a 'creaminess' and remove the texture one more layer away from 'ice crystal'. Gelatin absorbs some of the free water in the ice cream mix and helps prevent the formation of large crystals. Eggs & Egg Whites are typical additions in traditional ice cream for the custard base.

Like a Sorbet, Sherbet is 'whipped together', breaking up the ice crystals. You can also make it without an ice cream machine by putting the mixture in the freezer & breaking up/vigorously mixing every 30-45 minutes.

Ice Cream - Instead of syrup base, 'creamy' base, made in an ice cream machine.

For IP - the 'creamy' base will be a Pudding, Drink Mix, or RTD, prepared with the appropriate amount of water that you would usually make it with. Additions of Egg Whites and Gelatin can also be made to help make the consistency creamier (see notes above for Sherbet). Also a pureed base can be added to round out "your meal" (Cucumber, Zucchini, Lettuce, Rhubarb, etc).

Notes:
*I have found pureed Cucumber to be an excellent base for 'Sherbet'/'Ice Cream'. I think the flesh just purees up to assist with a 'creamy' base. I would imagine Zucchini would be the same.
*I used Iceberg Lettuce and it came out good, seemed to be a better 'Granita'/'Sorbet' base - I am guessing since it liquefies down more in the blender this is why (no 'flesh' like with Cucumber or Zucchini). I imagine any of the leafy greens would be similar (Spinach, etc).
*Highly recommend the fresh Lemon/Lime juice! And making the syrup with the zest really kicks up the flavor!

Started Ideal Protein - Phase 1: 2/28/2012, Phase 4: 9/1/2012
#1:-9lb,-1.19%; # 7:-3lb,-0.55%; *13:-5lb,-0.76%; #18:-2lb,-0.87%; Start Phase2! Start Phase 3!
#2:-6lb,-1.01%; # 8:-3lb,-0.60%; #14:-2lb,-0.48%; #19:-3lb,-0.53%; #1:-0,-0.00%; #1:+1.4lb,+0.82%
*4:-6lb,-0.95%; # 9:-4lb,-0.69%; #15:-.4lb,-0.1%; *21:-3lb,-1.40%; #2:-0,-1.10%; #2:-1.0lb,-0.33%
#5:-5lb,-0.79%; #10:-2lb,-0.50%; #16:-4lb,-0.98%; #22:-5lb,-1.41%
#6:-3lb,-0.57%; #11:-4lb,-0.76%; #17:-2lb,-3.70%; *on travel WI#3,12,20

Last edited by LizRR : 08-27-2012 at 04:04 PM.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote