Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #1  

Default My "uh-oh" moment this morning...

When I was much younger (pre-teens through early teens), I was a bit overweight. At that age, other children can be quite critical and I had a rough time fitting in and feeling accepted. The summer before entering high school I weighed in at 175 lbs (at about 5'8"). I developed some eating issues that summer (i.e. I simply did not eat) and lost quite a bit of weight before high school started in the fall and peopled noticed. I can pinpoint that summer as the start of my body and self confidence issues that still haunt me over 13 years later.

Several years ago, I was working retail where I was on my feet quite a bit, stocking shelves and walking miles back and forth each day. I felt fantastic and could see a difference in my body. I was lean, had definition and felt strong! I weighed about 123 lbs and was thin, but still had that athletic look. That all ended when I changed career paths and ended up with a desk job in 2007. It is now a struggle to maintain my weight and I am not really fit and probably not as healthy as I need to be. I do believe the term is "skinny fat". Any definition I had is gone, and I cannot even do 1 real push up.

This morning, I weighed myself for the first time in a while and the scale said 130 lbs. It feels like I am back at 175 and feel very flubby. I really want to get back to that place where I am comfortable in clothing without feeling like people are staring at my "muffin top". My problem is that I will do really great for 2 or 3 days, then fall off the wagon. Everyone on this forum seems so supportive and it is the kind of place I want to return to and see how everyone is doing and see how far I have come. Here's to motivation and taking it one day at a time!
gardner177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #2  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

At your height 130 lbs is really thin, maybe working out is the way to go instead of dieting per se... everyone can benefit from eating nutritious foods but it sounds like weight lifting might get you where you want to be.
I was 165 lbs at 5'8" in high school so I know how harsh people can be (and I really wasn't fat)... you have to learn to love yourself.
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #3  

Tiffany-

I never thought of myself as "fat" even at 175 lbs, however, other people did not seem to feel the same way. I eat quite healthy, never drink anything other than water (except for my morning coffee) and have not eaten fast food in almost 10 years, so my goal is to hold myself accountable for working out and specifically incorporating weight training as you had mentioned. I also think I am addicted to sugar because I get constant cravings for all things sweet and cannot stop myself once I start eating it. I did some research and found that it can be a real addiction, but if you can greatly limit your sugar for 2 weeks the cravings will start to dissipate. I am worried that a few lbs here and there will add up, and I know that once I get past a certain point it will be extremely difficult to get in shape again.

Also, NONE of my friends are into fitness at all. I think it will really help me to have people to talk to, share ideas with and get ideas from that all have the same goal in mind.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #4  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

Giving up sugar is a beautiful thing! I've been sugar-free since January, and I don't miss it. I still have the occasional artificially sweetened treat once in a while, but I can attest that the less sugar you eat, the less you want. It's the truth. It's not easy in the beginning, but if you can get through 2 weeks, you can do it. That might be just the thing you need to help you lose a few pounds and feel more comfortable.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #5  

Sugar is my mortal enemy. I cannot believe how hard it is to give it up and not give into the cravings. I quite smoking a few years ago with no problems. I no longer drink and do not miss it. But sugar is giving me a run for my money. Any tips on how to help me not to give in would be appreciated!
Old 08-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #6  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

You know, I think it's just gritting your teeth and going for it. Eventually, it WILL get better. You just have to get it out of your system... much like a drug or tobacco. I will say that sugarless gum helps a lot. I found the Extra dessert flavors to be especially good -- Apple Pie is my favorite. I do have artificially sweetened things.. splenda in my coffee, sugar free jello, Crystal Lite. I've also cut back on white carbs. I've read that white flour, rice, potatoes, etc... act just like sugar in the body. I'm no scientist, but in my experience, I think that's true. For as long as I can remember, whenever I had sugar or carbs, I always felt sleepy about 20 minutes later. It definitely affects me.

Also, once you give up sugar, on the off chance that you have it, you're really sensitive to the sweetness. I even use much less splenda in my coffee than I once did. It just seems like enough, now. And, fruit is heavenly! Who would've thought that an apple could be as sweet as candy!

Last edited by AwShucks; 08-23-2012 at 10:27 PM.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:43 AM   #7  
Just call me Dana

S/C/G: 185/177/135

Height: 5'7"

Hi Gardner - I agree totally about the addictive quality of sugar. The only time I don't crave it is when I don't eat it AT ALL.

Twice now, the Phase 1 of South Beach Diet has been a great sugar detox. As I start a new weight loss journey (my LAST, as God is my witness!), I'll likely do that again, even if I don't follow the entire plan. Believe it or not, once it's out of your system, sugar won't feel even mildly tempting.

You can do it!
FirstLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

At 130 and 5'8" you are skinny, but I understand what you mean by "skinny fat." I would suggest that you don't need to lose any weight- just tightening up your muscles will help you lose any spots you don't like and will give you a leaner, more athletic look. While cardio is good for you, what you would need most is strength training or even something like yoga/Pilates- something that would replace fat with muscle. I wouldn't suggest dieting in your situation- it probably won't help. The only cure for "skinny fat" is to get more athletic, otherwise all you get is "too skinny."

As for sugar, I know exactly what you mean. But there is hope- no matter how much you love it and crave it, the less you eat of it the less you will have sugar cravings. Sometimes, for me, that means even cutting out fruit for a while.

Last edited by kelly315; 08-24-2012 at 07:15 AM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #9  

Thank you everyone for your feedback! Your experiences give me confidence that I will be able to jump the sugar hurdle. I went out and bought several packs of sugar free gum and stashed them around the house and the office so I do not have any excues to grab a pop-tart when I feel the need for something sugary. Normally, I would purge the house of all things containing sugar. However, one of my hobbies happens to be a cake baker & decorator so there are many tempting items that I cannot throw out. This weekend will be a busy one though and a very good weekend to start ditching the sugar as there will not be a lot of bored down time.

Goal for myself: Yoga at least 3 times a week. It helps with my shoulder and back aches, gives me energy but relaxes me and I can feel it strenghting my muscles (especially my arms)- so I just need to get off the couch and do it!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 138/132.8/120

Height: 5'4"

Cinnamon pills are supposed to be a natural way to curb sugar cravings and keep your blood sugar level. I think they help me!
LovelyAndLosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 272.2/261.4/140

Height: 5' 4 3/4"

I have a huge sweet tooth and struggle with stopping once I start. For me, if I start I quickly end up on a downhill spiral. I know from experience it's best to avoid trigger foods like the plague. Although our journeys will be much different I understand how you are feeling. Good and luck reaching your goal!
Tande784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 432/392/180

Im just on my second week, but I pretty much kiked sugar (for me) on my change. I was never a big eater of healthy "solid" foods. Im very fat as you can see, but I always ate small meals of REALLY BAD STUFF and an extremely large amount of sugary drinks everyday. Coffee, Ice Coffee, Tea, Soda. Those ice coffee drinks u get at mcdonalds or starbucks which have as many calories as a meal should. Yep...that was my poison.

So, you mentioned you a baker...that was the kinda food I would eat. Cake, pastries, w/e sorta things like this. Once a day I would eat a real meal. Sometimes Id have a muffin or cake pastry thing in the morning then drink sugary drinks all day long without eating, then at night Id have one meal with my husband, but we ate out quite often about 3-4 x a week.

On my first day of my change, I tried some sugar substitutes. I even tried low fat or fat free cream for my coffee. By the third day of trying different things and finging none of that stuff was satisfying to me it just made me want the real stuff even more and I hate the taste and poison of artificial sweetners. Its a bit odd that someone with such poor eating habbits can be so concerned about artificial sweetners but Ive always heard that stuff was an exitotoxin I could never stand the taste of it anyways. By day three...I gave up any attempts at putting anything in my coffee or tea at all period and after the horrible 2 days of tasting sugar substitutes my coffee and tea actually tasted great to me! Thats only just two days. Now after two weeks, I dont even know how my "old sugary fatty coffee creamer laden" coffee would taste to me or if I would even be able to stomach it. It would proly give me a tummy ache.

I have not touched soda since the change. I hear there are a couple "natural" sodas on the market but they are kinda hard to find. Zevia I think is one made with stevia in it. My hubby makes his own beer so he has most of the equiptment like CO2 canisters and stuff that I am looking into making my own flavored soda waters. Looks like I may try that here in a bit. I do miss "soda" bubbly kinda drink with some foods. Last night I had 1/2 of a burger on a piece of light bread. I totally was craving a soda, but I just didnt wanna put that overly sugary taste in my mouth. My half burger was awesome though my meal was around 220 calories or so with the two capari tomatoes i sliced on the side. It was totally delicious and tasted way better to me than any Mcdonalds ever did.

I believe all this stuff is addictive. The refined sugar the msg the additives they put in our foods to make us feel hungry or crave more. Im on board with...just stop eating/drinking it and you wont want it as much. Ive seen it first hand.
v3r0n1k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 432/392/180

oh yes and on a side note...Im so glad I decided to do something about my weight because by now with my excessive weight and years of addiction...Im TOTALLY lucky that I am not the diabetes poster girl, I hope I never get it, but even skinny people and fat skinny or w/e can get diabetes from poor eating habbits, its definately something to consider if your a sugar addict like me.
v3r0n1k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #14  

v3r0n1k4-

I am with you on the artificial sweeteners! Part of my plan is to eat more "natural" and I certainly do not think most of the artificial sweeteners fit that bill. If you try out the at home soda maker, let me know what you think of it and post your favorite "recipes" because I too sometimes miss a nice cold soda (ginger ale is my weakness).