2 cups Rutabaga
+2 Eggs + 2 Egg Whites
1/2 packet Knox Gelatin <--adds 12 calories, all from 3g protein (collagen)
2-4 tbsp Sweetener (Splenda/Stevia/WF Pancake Syrup/etc)
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
Optional: 1/2 cup unsweetened Almond Milk <--adds 15 calories, 1g fat/.5g carb/.5g protein
1. Wrap Rutabaga in aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 375 degrees ~1.5 hours.
2. In mixing bowl, add Egg Whites only
and sprinkle in Gelatin, allow to dissolve ~1 minute.
3. In blender/food processor, add cooked, peeled Rutabaga and optional Almond Milk (or water) - puree until VERY smooth ~2 minutes - allow to cool slightly.
4. In mixing bowl - add Rutabaga puree, Sweetener, Pumpkin Pie Spice, Vanilla, and Eggs to the Egg Whites & Gelatin - mix ingredients thoroughly. Taste and adjust Sweetener accordingly.
5. Pour mixture into ramekin and bake at 350 degrees for ~45 minutes, until custard is set (doesn't 'jiggle in the middle' when you shake it).
6. Remove from oven, allow to cool - additional chilling will help it set, in the fridge/freezer ~30 minutes.
*This was awesome - it turned into a great custard, dessert.
+The new Phase 1 Sheet dated 6/12/2012 now lists 4 Eggs + 2 Egg Whites as an appropriate 8oz protein replacement, so adjust accordingly: http://www.idealtogo.com/Library/Fase%201%20-%20ITG.pdf *This counts as your daily protein + 2c veggies
*Several methods to cook rutabaga, choose your favorite/most convenient: slow cooker, peeled/cubed/baked in the oven, peeled/cubed/boiled until tender, etc. Baking in the oven wrapped in foil ~1.5 hours @ 350 degrees or in the slow cooker will result in 'sweeter' rutabaga.
*Make sure your rutabaga puree is cooled slightly before adding to Eggs to prevent 'pre-cooking' (turning out egg chunks)