Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 153/136/125

Height: 5'3

Default Obstacle=Tobacco :(

Hello everyone! I've been working out for 2 weeks now and seeing great results I took on a new class today that required many different exercises I had never done and I was completely winded afterwards! I felt great, all except for awful chest/lung pain. I had set a "quit smoking" goal to be met by October but I know that I need to do it ASAP because it's been a nuisance/depressingly addictive coping mechanism for me for 8 years, since I was 15 years old. And now I feel like it's going to be a major set-back in my fitness if I don't give it up soon. My counselor told me that she was afraid I would go into a shock if I just quit cold turkey because I have depended on it for so long and my life-style is very busy. I've read up on so many ideas and educated myself deeply in the negative health factors. Still, I continue to smoke. I want to quit so badly and people who have never been addicted ask why I don't just stop. Well, it's a journey like anything else in life and I need to overcome the anxiety I have over the thought of quitting because I know I'll feel so much better after I have completely shunned cigarettes out of my life. Ugh! Thanks to anyone who reads my rant and any encouragement or stories are definetly welcome!
JoJoBeanz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 286/247/150

Height: 5-4

Have you tried the patch? That's what helped me quit. The patch provides the nicotime at a lower dose... the drawback is you still want to puff on the cig... you get used to doing it.
drixnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #3  

Thanks for your comment I have not tried the patch I've found that I have more of an issue with the hand-to-mouth and breathing in/out action itself. Just that act is comforting for some reason. I hate cigarettes, they smell awful, I smell awful, my teeth are awful and I just plain out feel awful that I struggle so hard with something I know is poison! :'(
Old 08-19-2012, 07:36 AM   #4  

hey,

I know what it's like, I gave up the cigs about 15yrs ago now, and it's a very tough nut to crack (pity I can't give up the food tho').

Personally, I found it very hard just cutting down, or having one or two a day. It would constantly fuel the addiction, and I'd never stay off them for very long. In fact I'd be back on them with a vengeance.

So in the end I went cold turkey, while it was so tough initially. I found it a lot easier than trying to ween myself off them. I was prepared to put on some weight too, which I did, but I took that off after I was not so addicted to the cigs.

The weight came back, but the cigs didn't. I hope you manage to stay off them!
Kovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Most grocery stores sell an electronic cigarette, which helped me. The one sold at walmart ("mystic") costs about $15 to start and a little less than $3 per "pack" (about the same nicotine as in a pack of average cigarettes). Should help your lungs clear up a bit- it did for me.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

I used chantix and quit rather easily after almost 40 years of smoking. It was a miracle. My insurance covered it. Most states also have tobacco cessation departments that will help you with products.

In addition, try to stop the "habit smoking" to help yourself prepare:

Stop smoking in the car
Brush your teeth after meals and wait at least 30 minutes before you smoke
Dont smoke in your house.
Don't smoke with other pleasures (while reading, drinking coffee, etc) make smoking a "chore" that you have to do, not something that is associated with other pleasurable activities.
Use gum or small straws to satisfy the oral thing...

Good luck!
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Yeah, right, why don't you just quit? I want to smack people who have never smoked who say that. What do they know?

I have been smoke-free this time since 1994. It took four major "quittings" before it stuck.

Each time I quit, I did it cold turkey, so I have no experience with the various aids available. Each time I quit, I added to the days or years that I didn't smoke, which is good.

When you are mentally and emotionally ready to quit, you will quit. In the meantime, don't beat yourself up. Berating yourself only makes you feel bad and smoke more.

Educate yourself about how to quit, the benefits of quitting etc. You already know all the bad stuff - look at the positive - easier breathing, fresher breath etc. Do not read or dwell on the horror stories. You will be afraid, and will smoke more and then feel bad about yourself.

There is a lady who posts on here whose screen name is Kaplods. She has lost over 100 lbs and she says that she has done it by being good to herself rather than punitive about what she eats and thinks about herself [forgive me, Kaplods, if I have hugely abbreviated your philosophy]. Anyway, when I read your post I thought about how when I quit smoking I tried to have a similar attitude. Be very positive about every day you don't smoke.

Everyone, including me, has an opinion about quitting smoking. Ultimately, it is up to you to figure out what works best for you, and follow your plan just like we talk about for loosing weight.

There is nothing to be afraid of. Certainly, for me, quitting smoking is much easier than changing my life-style with regard to diet and exercise. With smoking you just quit, and that's it.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #8  

Thank you everyone for your posts and encouragement I only had 2 cigarettes today because I ran out and am also broke now. I've fallen off the wagon this weekend with my eating habits and felt bad about it at first but someone gave me the advice that I don't need to beat myself up, it's easier to work off the calories than it is to live with this addiction. I've quit before as well, during pregnancy. But always started back after about a month post-partum. I think the easiest way for me personally will be cold-turkey, don't have much of a choice since I have no money at the moment and would rather not ask my family for cigarettes anymore (they're ALL smokers). Blessing in disguise that I live on my own, away from them. I don't smoke in my home either so I know that will help But the habits and routine of every single cigarette are going to be hard to forget and shrug off. I've vowed to work out tomorrow morning to start my week off fresh and take my lack of nicotine frustrations out. Ahhhh
Old 08-20-2012, 12:12 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 286/247/150

Height: 5-4

I think weight loss is the same as smoking... you need to keep at it even if you fail one day you need to forgive yourself and get right back to trying to make yourself healthy the next day.

Over the years when I was smoking I would try to quit and then in a few days I would slip and then I would give up... just like when I dieted... I would fail for one day and give up.

When I finally did quit I didn't give up when I slipped and I wouldn't let my husband give up either (we quit together) This time around I'm doing the same thing with my diet... even if I cave and get an ice cream or a piece of cake ... I'm not quitting ... I will lose this weight.

Think about your situation the same way... don't beat yourself up.... but don't give up either.
drixnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #10  

Thanks, drixnot and congratulations on your guys' success in quitting! I broke down this morning and asked my parents for cigarettes, drove to their apt and smoked one with my mom. During that time, I came up with an idea to maybe help me slow down and encourage my daily exercises as well. I've decided to do 10 burpee exercises for every 1 cigarette smoked. Today, I stuck to it and did 110 burpees over the course of the day! 11 cigarettes are about half of what I was smoking on a regular day so I am proud of myself :} Hoping that this method will kick my butt!!
Old 08-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #11  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

the hardest thing about quitting is giving up on the routine that your body and mind expect. Quitting smoking can actually induce feeling sof depression and mourning (like your best friend just died)... for me the thought of having to sit through rush hour traffic without a smoke was TORTURE. I was terrified. I didnt know how to go about my day without my little "best friend".....
I can say honestly that the electronic cigarettes were a LIFE saver. It wasnt the nicotine.. it was being able to satisfy that hand to mouth, oral fixation. In my car, outside at "smoke break" times (although i DID just go for walks instead-- not a good idea to hang out around smokers when you are quitting!) I honestly really only used them for a couple days, then just always had one on hand, just in case. it provided a sense of security, and really helped take away the terror of not having one to look forward too, if any of that made sense? You can even get ones without nicotine in them..
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:51 AM   #12  

**Deleted**

Last edited by bipolarpunkgrl; 11-03-2014 at 08:33 PM. Reason: deleted
bipolarpunkgrl is offline   Reply With Quote