View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
Rana

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

BBB, I have always thought I had a slower metabolism than others, and recently, studies in women with PCOS and IR have noted that this is the case, in fact.

I know you don't have PCOS, but I think I remember you saying that you are trying to deal with prediabetes, I think, and if it applies to women with PCOS, maybe it applies to women with pre-diabetes too.

I posted the links over at the PCOS board.

The study basically indicated that there is a slower metabolism at play, which affects weight loss and weight maintenance.

I have been tracking my BMR with exercise calories (Estimated) and consumption of calories, and according to that data, I should have lost about 1.5 - 2 lbs more than I have in the last 6 weeks. It's not a big amount when you break down into those six weeks, but it is slower than someone who is "normal" so to speak. (In my case, I'm just glad that I'm losing weight, period the end, even if it's not as fast as others!)

You may have to play around with the macros (if I eat 150 grams of carbs or less, I lose weight, anything higher and I maintain, regardless of calories). You may have to just let your body get used to being back on plan, rather than on vacation. And you may be able to maintain at slightly higher calories (1700, for example), rather than 1500 for the rest of your life.

But it may just come to the point that you have to accept that you have to eat less. You came to accept you're not going to be taller, this may be one of those things you have to accept too.

However, before you give up, I also think you should try heavy weightlifting. You won't look like Arnold Schwarzenegger, if you do have prediabetes it will help with that, and if you are lifting really heavy, then your muscles will help you burn more calories.

I have been doing a more intense version of Pilates for this reason and I'm thinking of adding real weights like dumbbells into my routine too.