Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 357/see ticker/235

Height: 5' 10"

Default What The $#%

I have lost quite a bit of weight and the scale just keeps goes lower but I am hitting my head against the wall over what is happening to my body that I can't understand.

I have lost a lot of weight and I decided to recheck my measurements on fitday and I have only lost about 6 inches total for all of the different places you measure. 2 inches on hips, 2 inches on waist and 2 on my thigh. All the rest are the same or higher!

I went from a tight size 28 to a super tight 24. Only 2 sizes! Really only 1 1/2 sizes.

My fat is not solid. I am jiggly all over. Why am I not losing inches?

I am happy and feeling great but I am very frustrated...
Sally Pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

You are losing inches and pretty well from my experience, and it takes a lot more weight loss to equal inches and sizes lot at the higher size ranges.

It took me more than 60 lbs before I lost even one clothing size (and my clothes weren't even fitting that much looser, maybe a smidge in the upper arm).

I've lost 105 lbs and really have only lost about 2 sizes (a little more in tops, a little less in bottoms).

To me, it sounds like your inches lost and your height/weight/size ratio are pretty average (they jive with what I know about my own size/weight ratios from weight loss in the past).

I don't get into 24's until I weigh about 240 - 250 lbs, so I'm a little envious (though because I'm several inches shorter than you are, it makes sense that I have to lose more to fit into the sizes).

I'm wearing about a size 28 in most clothing now.

I always wished I had a more hourglass shape, and I'm only getting MORE pear-shaped because I'm losing it all up top first.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll look more proportional when I get closer to my goal weight (which I haven't decided on yet, though I have a couple intermediary goals set, my first being 250 lbs). If I keep losing every where buy my hips, I'm going to look pretty ridiculous though.

I think we tend to ALL believe that we're doing far less well than everyone else seems to be doing, but only because we never get to see what everyone else is doing, and when we DO see someone doing better than we are, we REMEMBER it a whole lot better than when we see someone doing worse.

We tend to have blinders on about what everyone else is doing (both because we're not really watching for those behind us, but also because we're all taught not to share our experience with weight loss unless it's brag-worthy and the standards are set impossibly high. Unless we're in the top 1% we're taught to believe we're failing).

As I've said many times before, weight loss is like a big city marathon... We assume we're in last place or close to it, when we see 1,000 people in front of us, completely unaware of the 25,000 people behind us envying our success.

You're doing fabulously, don't ever doubt it. Even if you never lose another pound, you've still accomplished something that 95% of size 28 women ever accomplish. So just hang in there and remember how astonishing your current success is.

I feel sad that so many of us (most of us really) have no idea when we're "in the lead." We think we're failing even when we're in the top 5%.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

kaplods put it so well that I second everything she said. When I first started losing weight I was very interested in what sizes other women my height and weight on 3fc were wearing. Invariably, everyone wore a smaller size than I did. Even now, I'm sure most women at my size on 3fc wear a smaller size than I do - I currently wear a 12 and can only fit into the most stretchy of 10s. If the sizes run S,M,L,XL I wear a L. Most people at my weight and height seem to be wearing single digit sizes and mediums. This could be because I have a higher body fat percentage than someone who regularly lifts weights or works out more than I do. It could be because I naturally have a larger bust and midsection/hips than most. Whatever the case, I went from a size 16W to a size 12 after 60lbs lost. That's not all that much of a change. I didn't even go down from a size 16 until I had lost well over 30 lbs.

The point is, everyone is different. The only person you can compare your progress to is you at your high weight. If you are losing pounds and inches, that's progress! If I continued to compare my progress to other dieters, I would have been discouraged and given up a long time ago. You are doing great!

Also, I keep hearing about the "paper towel effect." Although I've yet to experience it, apparently the smaller you get and the closer you get to goal weight, the more each pound counts toward your appearance. Some people claim that the last 10-20 lbs they lost made a bigger difference in their appearance than the first 50. So, you may see more of a drastic change as you get closer to your goal. That's what I'm hoping for, at least!

Good luck and congratulations on your success!

Last edited by guacamole; 08-17-2012 at 12:29 PM.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/161/127 (started 03/2012)

Height: 5'1"

I'm sorry you're disappointed, but really these wise women have some great advice. I'm on the other end of the spectrum being short every 5-10 pounds *can* be a size loss. Fortunately I work at home so I can get away with wearing clothes longer, but I also have read for us shorties the last "5-10" takes the longest. It's just what it is and I'm still going to keep on going regardless, any loss to me is a loss and as long as I'm NOT gaining I'm moving forward. You are too! You will win the race if you keep going.

ETA: I worked from home, I recently stopped working.

Last edited by SerenityDiva; 08-17-2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Ugh lifestyle
SerenityDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #5  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Fat density decreases in an area before the area shrinks.

Sounds like you're doing great. Just try to be patient. (Easier said than done)
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 257/257/157

Height: 5'7"

At 30lbs lost, I've gone down a size, MAYBE a size and a half if I'm being generous. I've checked my measurements and have lost inches, but not a lot. It can be very discouraging. Though I have noticed a significant difference in the way my clothes fit, so I'm not really too sure what's going on there...
Anyway, as the previous posters said, for those of us who started out bigger (my starting weight was 252), it takes more pounds to lose sizes compared to someone starting out at say, 200lbs or less.
You are doing so great though, don't let it get you down. You are getting healthier, and in time the clothing sizes will reflect that.
PinkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #7  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I know from experience how discouraging it is, but hang in there!

I was somewhere beyond a 26/28 at my highest weight, which was very close to yours. If I remember correctly, I was at a 26/28 after losing the first 40-50 pounds. I was down about 75 pounds before I was in a 22/24, and remained there until I'd dropped over 100. I've lost close to 120 now and range between an 18 and 22, depending on the fit of the brand. From here on each pound is going to make more of a difference when in the past, it wasn't even noticeable.

The thing is that the bigger your are, the less difference each pound makes. Think taking a pound of butter and spreading it evenly over someone's body; it won't stick out on a heavier person as much as it would a thin person. A 25 pound difference most likely won't even be noticeable on someone pushing 300, but it'll be very noticeable on someone half the weight.

Once again, hang in there! You'll soon reach a point where you will notice the positive changes in your body.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #8  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

I'll just agree with everything everyone else said. I sometimes see people who weigh more than I do talk about wearing a size 6 and wonder what's wrong with me (besides being on the short side). But then I remind myself of how much better I feel and look, and try to stop comparing myself to others.

I definitely think there is a "paper towel" effect. I didn't have to buy new clothes for the first 50 pounds or so, but the stuff I bought in April (about 15 pounds ago) is baggy now.

You've done a fantastic job so far. Be proud of yourself!
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #9  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Also, consider that the larger clothes have much more of an ease between sizes than smaller clothes. A size 26 and 24 may have three to five inches difference in their hip circumference, for example, but a size 8 and a size 10 have 1-2 inches difference. So it takes more inches lost (or gained!) to change sizes in the larger end of the spectrum than the smaller, that's just how the clothes are designed.

You're doing well, don't get discouraged!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #10  
KakeJ

S/C/G: 295/195/175

Height: 5'91/2"

Sometimes it is an absolute Drag. My frustration comes from being on vacation and my husband, who loves summer cookouts is making all the usual summer fare on the grill. He eats and eats and I watch and pick and not only doesn't he gain ,but actually loses weight to the point of practically falling out of his pants. All the while I have been stuck in a holding pattern at around 220lbs for about 2 months. I know he is more active in summer, he is watersking, playing ball, and generally outdoors and moving, but so am I . Okay not to his level but, I thought that my weightloss would accelerate to where I maybe would have lost at least half of the 25 lbs. to my goal by mid September. But I can't get out of the 220's.
In the meantime and I've been noticing Hubby shirtless while out watersking and I can see his ribs as well as feel them. I asked him how be losing weight with all the eating he has been doing lately. He said "I'm not losing weight, I weigh 195lbs. as i always did." I said wanna bet? tugging on his too baggy shorts. On the way to weigh, I told him my guess was 180lbs. and in my head I imagined throwing his skinny butt through the bedroom window if I was right. I was getting jealous and angry at him for being able to do what I have spent a year or more doing, losing weight. Except he doesn't even try, certainly doesn't need to , and doesn't even notice that he has. And here I am struggling to at the moment. "What's the bet? he asked. To myself I said You make it out of the room alive. But to him, "I treat you to a new fishing rod at Cabela's and if I'm right we go to Broadway Play to be announced." Agreed!
I was apprehensive when he got on the scale. I mean , if he was right ( of course he won't be ) I lose, but if I'm right, even if win I lose. I just can't stand that he can lose weight and eat allday. The # was 185lbs. Closer to my guess than his. He said "I guess you win. you were closer, just tell me what were going to see and I'll get the tickets."
and he kissed me on the forehead. I resisted the strong urge to send him through the bedroom window. Instead I pouted and shoved him hard enough to send him nearly over the bed and walked out saying " I told you! You're getting too skinny!" But I was really mad at myself for not seeing any progress. I let my frustrartion manifest into jealousy and took it out on him for moving my goal line 10 lbs. further, and so it felt like I had gained 10lbs. He can't help it if he has the metabolism of a hummingbird. He tells me that I look as good as I did when we first dated, which is funny because I weigh the same now as then. But I want to weigh less than that, even less than he does if possible. SIGH ! I thank all who post here . We can all use some encouragement from time to time, and see that we all experience some frustrations. But let's keep the goal in mind and not let emotions take too much away from what we are tring to do. Okay, so I've vented. This is a good place for that isn't it?

kakeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #11  
Not settling this time

S/C/G: HW/CW/GW 278/149/130

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Also, consider that the larger clothes have much more of an ease between sizes than smaller clothes. A size 26 and 24 may have three to five inches difference in their hip circumference, for example, but a size 8 and a size 10 have 1-2 inches difference. So it takes more inches lost (or gained!) to change sizes in the larger end of the spectrum than the smaller, that's just how the clothes are designed.

You're doing well, don't get discouraged!
I was going to say something similar. Everyone has made excellent points. I experienced similar frustration as you when I first started losing weight (I wore the same clothes for the first 50 pounds) but I noticed that the inches did eventually "give" sometimes with no weight loss. Once I got a bit smaller, I begin to get to the next lower size after losing 6-8 pounds. Just give your body time.
Prim2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #12  
Getting smaller everyday

S/C/G: HW: 393/IP: 347/CW: 198/GW:175

Height: 5'6

I know exactly how you're feeling. It literally took me 50 pounds to get to 28, it'll take about 25 more to get to a 26...I'm almost there, but they won't button, and then I won't get to a 24 until I'm around 280. I want to see a size 20 so bad, because I can't remember the last time I was in them! Just a size 20, but I have so much more work to do. *sigh*

Don't give up! You're doing great and it'll come off eventually.
watchoutforthatcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 357/see ticker/235

Height: 5' 10"

Thank you all for the encouragement. I know it is all just a number and my boyfriend told me how much easier it was for him to put his arms around me. But I just can't see it even after 80 lbs. Good thing is that I have not had to buy any new clothes since I am still wearing most of mine.

I will just hang in there and see how things fit when I hit the 250 and 235 mark and then take it from there. I have never been under 235 in my adult life and am anxious to see where it takes me from there.
Sally Pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #14  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Pineapple View Post
Thank you all for the encouragement. I know it is all just a number and my boyfriend told me how much easier it was for him to put his arms around me. But I just can't see it even after 80 lbs. Good thing is that I have not had to buy any new clothes since I am still wearing most of mine.

I will just hang in there and see how things fit when I hit the 250 and 235 mark and then take it from there. I have never been under 235 in my adult life and am anxious to see where it takes me from there.
Take pictures if you haven't been. THEY do not lie and are more 'real' than 2" or 3" that are abstract. Truly... pictures are worth a LOT. You will notice different areas at different times getting thinner or stronger or flatter, etc. I have taken pictures every 20 pounds. The change was HUGE between each. Even though I didn't "feel" it and the inches weren't falling off me. I have them running along the side of my blog to show.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #15  
Stubborn.

S/C/G: 197/See ticker/135

Height: 5'6''

I'm sure that it'll become more visible in time...80 lbs is a lot! Try not to fixate on it for now, as hard as it may be. If your boyfriend's making comments, there's a good chance that it's already visible...it's just that we're all our own harshest critics. When I look at myself in the mirror, is the first thing that I spot the fact that my natural waist is down 13 cm from when I started? No, it's that I still have my gut if my eyes pan down a few inches.

For now, keep up the good work and enjoy not needing new pants every 2 weeks...No doubt that will come eventually, but it gets expensive @_@
Hotaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote