Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #1  
Golden Goose

S/C/G: 333/tracker/150

Height: 5'10

Default Too much water?

I cut out soda a long time ago and have been drinking water every single day, by the gallon, so I know i'm drinking enough of that. Do you ever feel like water just isn't satisfying though? I can go a few weeks on nothing but water, but then I just NEED something else to drink. People that say you should cut out everything but water... how the heck do you do it?
Slush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #2  
STREET DOG

S/C/G: 231/230/145

Height: 5'8"

I figure a lot of people around here will recommend the 0-cal flavor packets. I've never used those, since they gained immense popularity around the same time I came to Japan.

Personally, I allow myself to drink other liquids–I avoid juice and soda as much as I can, but milk and coffee are fair game–but if I want to keep it plain and healthy I'll drink cold barley tea (super common here), cold green tea or cold oolong tea. Still basically like drinking water, but with enough flavor to spice it up.
Kahokkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/166/140

Height: 5'7"

I drink iced coffee and iced tea with no sugar or sweetener.
ultrapeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #4  

Height: 5'1

I allow myself to have a small glass of juice (apple, orange or cranberry) for lunch a couple of times a week. It's only a small glass but it is satisfying for me because I wouldn't have it as much and as big as I would used to have. I would sometimes have a cup of tea during the day also.
Dreamer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #5  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

You can actually drink too much water... just like most things too much of something isn't necessarily a good thing (well, except for money...) there is actually something called water intoxication... that being said I pretty much stick exclusively to water but I mix it up with different sparkling and various mineral waters with slices of fresh fruit like lemons, limes, oranges, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, and even cucumber (I know it sounded odd to me at first too, but it's actually really refreshing... especially in summer) Enjoy!
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #6  
Started IP 6/27/12

S/C/G: 240/184/130

Height: 5'3

Have you ever tried mio it is a water additive that flavored the water and it is quite good and easy
jessicaolsonx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I am not sure why "people" say you should cut out everything but water. I have seen that advice, too.

"People" also say that you are more likely to be sucessful with your weight loss program if you incorportate things that you like into your diet. I would go with that advice. I think quitting soda was a good idea. Is it the soda you miss or things like coffee, tea, wine, milk? Have some and account for it. Coffee and tea should be free unless you add milk and sugar.

I like to pick and choose among the things that "people" say. Sometimes ideas are great for one person, and not so great for another.

This might be TMI, but I try to drink enough water to not be thirsty and to keep my urine dilute. I live in a very hot climate [especially this year] so hydratrion is doubly important.

"We, the people" are loosing weight and getting fit! Keep up the good work.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #8  
Gonna do this!

S/C/G: 272/270/175

Height: 5'9"

I drink 64 ounces of water everyday, plus 1-2 cups of skim milk or almond milk. I don't think there's anything wrong with drinking something sweet like 100% juices every now and then. Maybe just limit it to a cup a day?

I made the decision to stop drinking soft drinks 2 years ago. I think within those two years I've only had 2 cans, and even then I'd only finish half of a can before wanting to vomit. I think being off soda for a long time made me hate it, and thinking about how it's mainly just syrup put me off even more. If I want something real sweet, but don't want to eat any fruits, I just grab a fruit bar and eat it up. Then I'm good to go.

I say, drink what you like, but in moderation.

Last edited by DixieFIT; 08-13-2012 at 11:26 AM.
DixieFIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #9  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I drink coffee, milk, tea, beer, wine, liquor, diet soda sometimes...

There's no rule saying you can only drink water. On the contrary, the benefits of tea are touted by "people" in every corner of the globe.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 299/Ticker/150

Height: 5'3"

I have 1 diet soft drink maybe once or twice a week. I find it breaks up the boring water I also use Mio on occasion so it feels like I am drinking juice. I know aspartame is not the best for you, but I figure in moderation, it's better than regular soft drinks and juices with added sugar. I also drink 1-2 8oz glasses of skim milk a day. I don't drink coffee because I get heart palpitations and my heart races but I do miss it a lot!

My water intake is 8-10 8oz glasses a day, more when I am working out.
Dragonfly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 221/201/150

I am usually one of those who also only drinks water - so I'm with you there. When I get tired of plain water, I either buy a different kind than I'm used to (I can taste differences, lol) or I put a piece of fruit like pineapple in my water to flavor it. It makes it a little different while still being healthy.
stepharoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #12  
Not settling this time

S/C/G: HW/CW/GW 278/149/130

Height: 5'3

Water is good for you but I would be so dissatisfied if that was all I could drink! I also drink iced tea (diet), coffee, wine (on occassion), grapefruit, orange, and cranberry juice, club soda, diet soda (very limited), Crystal Light lemonade and fruit punch, skim and whole milk, almond milk, coconut milk. I also like flavored waters like Sobe LifeWater
Prim2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #13  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

When I went from 300 to 240 I was drinking diet soda like a fiend. I've cut back but diet soda doesn't stop fat loss dispite what some people would like you to believe.

Calories matter so if what you're drinking doesn't have calories ... it won't affect your fat loss.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #14  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
When I went from 300 to 240 I was drinking diet soda like a fiend. I've cut back but diet soda doesn't stop fat loss dispite what some people would like you to believe.

Calories matter so if what you're drinking doesn't have calories ... it won't affect your fat loss.
Yeah I drank it during weight loss too. Didn't effect it. I still drink it now.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #15  
ion
go go go!

Height: 5'2"

i've been making pitchers of iced tea (peach, green, and others) every day and i sweeten it with stevia. it's addictive, and with no calories! try it

Last edited by ion; 08-13-2012 at 10:25 PM.
ion is offline   Reply With Quote