Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 06:30 AM   #1  

Default Time for Serious Fun #24

TIME FOR SERIOUS FUN #22

We are a thread dedicated to making losing weight a pleasant experience. We laugh, cry and talk together. We have challenges, points for staying on program, drinking our water, and exercising. We have a daily topic to join in. Our only focus is to help us realize that dieting and all that goes with it need not be unpleasant, but can be fun. Come join the fun here at Time for Serious Fun! Everyone is Welcome!

TOPICS:

Monday: Mission Monday New mission each week
Tuesday: Target Tuesday We target something to work on
Wednesday: Wednesday's Woes Our day to complain about anything and everything
Thursday: Time for Us Thursday The day set aside to pamper us!
Friday: Fabulous lbs Down Friday We get to crow about loss or ask for help
Saturday: Sunny Thoughts Saturday We share stories and jokes to help us smile
Sunday: Silly Poll Sunday A new poll to give your thoughts to every week

POINTS VALUES:

STAYING ON PROGRAM IS 2 POINTS
DRINKING YOUR WATER IS 1 POINT
EXERCISING IS 1 POINT

CURRENT CHALLENGE IS UNTIL DECEMBER 31ST. TO LOSE 30 LBS BY THEN.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:32 AM   #2  

FRIDAY: Fabulous LBS Down Friday! If you want to crow about your weight loss, we are here to cheer you on!

Ok, ladies, new thread! Hope you all are going to have a great Friday! I am going to really work hard to get back on track permanently!

I GOT A: for points. thank heaven for exercise!

Talk later in the AM

Faye
Old 09-05-2003, 07:32 AM   #3  

Ok, I'm totally dejected this morning
I got on the scale for the first time in 2 weeks and I've actually GAINED 2 pounds! How???? I mean I've been with you gals for about 6 weeks now and I've been more serious about losing the weight once and for all than I ever have been. What gives????
I should be down about 10 pounds by now, instead I'm down 3....not fair not fair. I know there's the whole "muscle weighs more than fat" thing and I have been lifting. BUT I weigh soooo much, I've GOT to be burning SOME fat! I've GOT to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm doing great with the exercise, but maybe I need to add another cardio session later in the day. My knees can't take an hour of exercise at a time, unless it's dancing.

I guess I'm going to have to take Ritu's advice and start a food diary. I've been resisting that for so long, but I must be consuming way more than I thought. Like, I just did my entry for breakfast and was pretty surprised to find out that I've already had over 400 calories. I switched from cream to milk in my coffee, but I'm still drinking 110 calories JUST IN MILK~! I've been focusing on preparing low fat/high quality meals.......but it seems I'm going to have to try to lower the calories as well. At least for a while. I think that if I stay under 2000 calories, I should be all set. All the calorie calculators say I can have like 2700 to maintain, but I really think that's too high.

I'm totally dedicated to this journey......thank God for you gals! I was so tired yesterday that I almost skipped my workout and I didn't even start drinking my water until after dinner. But just thinking about my morning post made me get off the couch. I actually got all 4 points in by the skin of my teeth!

Well, gotta get the kids to school then come home and workout. Upper body lifts today. I skipped the lifting yesterday cuz I was soo tired. I think I feel better today.

Later,
Julie
Old 09-05-2003, 08:11 AM   #4  

Julie:YOU GET A: for points. You absolutely need to start a food diary. Don't worry right now about how many points each thing is or cal and fat, just keep track of what you eat and how much for a week. DO NOT CHANGE your eating from what it has been to "make your diary better looking" so to speak or you won't be able to figure out the problem. After a week, look it over and you will be able to see if you are taking in too much protein or carbs or whatever. I AM NOT a proponent of low carb diets as such, but some people are carb sensitive I think so you may be one of those. Whatever it is, you will be able to see it if you keep a diary for a week. You should be taking in 30% fat, 60% carbs and 10% protein to lose 2 lbs a week. I trimmed mine to 25% fat, 60% carbs and 15% protein since I am exercising so much. We are here for you so DON'T YOU DARE LET THIS GET YOU DOWN! We will help you get things turned around for you!

Faye
Old 09-05-2003, 08:20 AM   #5  

Hello all!

Nothing newto report here. I'm sorry you are feeling so down Julie but really 3 lbs in 2 weeks isn't the end of the world. I know you would like it ot be faster but at least the scale is going the right way!

Ritu--I love all food and would like a recipe but I don't want to be a bother. Thaknks for the effort though. Sounds like you are doing a great job on the diet!

You all are a bunch of inspirational people!

Debbie--Lee
Old 09-05-2003, 08:59 AM   #6  

Thanks Faye, you're the greatest!
I'm actually not too terribly "down" about all this....just frustrated, and determined to figure out what's wrong. I think you're probably right on about my being carb sensitive. Last year about this time, before dh got laid off, I was losing weight like crazy (well, 2 pounds a week, which is crazy for me). I wasn't exercising nearly as much as I am now, but I cut out All sugar and All starch. I didn't eat bread, pasta, or potatoes, but kept eating lots of fruits and veggies and meat. Right now, I've switched the whole family to whole grain breads and pastas....which is healthier for the kids, and I hope they will get used to the taste so they eat healthy as adults. But, I think I just can't eat the stuff....or at least should only eat it in the morning.

I've just got to see some results ASAP or I'm gonna go crazy........so, I am going to keep a food diary, but cut out the starches completely. (I've pretty much kicked the sugar thing, thanks to Splenda) Maybe that will help my energy level, too. I seem to recall having tons of energy last fall when I was doing so well.

Today is a shopping day, so I'm going to make a plan (for a change). The only thing I worry about is my kids....they definitely need the carbs with their activity levels. So, I'm just going to have to be strong and not eat the pasta and rice stuff (but keep buying the whole wheat for their sakes......man, that stuff is expensive!)

Ok, I feel better.........I can't tell you all how much it helps having you here, at my fingertips, any time of day! My kids keep asking "how come you're always on that fat website?"

Have a beautiful day everyone! Gonna go workout now.
Julie
Old 09-05-2003, 09:19 AM   #7  

Good Morning My little Chickadees!!

pts for yesterday: 1 pt for water, 2 pts for program, and 0 for exercise...I know I know bad girl!! but I was up and out of bed today by 6:00a and walking away the pounds by 6:15! got my 2 miles in....

just finished chatting with a friend named Joy, she will be joining us, posting shortly I think, She is wonderful! I found her several months ago on the Discovery Health Network Channel site, and we have been corresponding, but now I am so thrilled she ahs decided to post here with us...I know you all will make her feel so welcome!! I have been telling her what phenomenal support we get here and unconditional love, I am more grateful than anyone of you will ever know!!

Mirabelly, I know what you mean about posting here, my sister kids me all the time, "there you go again talking to those fat chicks". she Im's me sometimes and says "you got time for your family or are you talking to those fatchicks again?" but, seriously though she is very supportive and proud of me for doing this.

well my chickies sees ya later!!
Old 09-05-2003, 10:05 AM   #8  

hello again!

Faye, would you please move Joy's post over here..I thought we were still on # 23 when I told her about us...thanks!!! she is the last one on 23....I appreciate it...

Old 09-05-2003, 10:10 AM   #9  

THIS IS THE POST FROM OUR NEWEST MEMBER:

Hello,my name is Joy Lee,and I currently live in Sylvester,Georgia. I am 46 years young and I weigh 258 lbs at this time..I have been working out and watching what eat ,keeping it low fat and healthy as possible..I started out at 329 lbs,which was my highest weight ever...I have lost down to where I am now in about 8 months..mainly by the exercise and healthy eating..I do a lot of walking and strength training ,sometimes adding an exercise video..I am very active,as I have 5 children ,ages 27 to 7 years old,and a 2 year old grandchild{ girl}...I have 2 boys and 3 girls,2 of which are still at home...we do a lot of family activities,sports,family hikes and theme parks,so I really stay on the go and stay very busy. I have a goal weight of 180,which I hope to be there by summer of 2004 . I am looking for all the support I can get,and be able to give all that I can...pkdreamer [Pam] has been a tremendous support and she reccomended this board,so here I am..I really look forward to meeting all of you together we will achieve our goals...so here goes.....Joy

Old 09-05-2003, 10:17 AM   #10  

Pam: YOU GET A: for points! You don't ALWAYS have to be perfect girlfriend!

I want to get out in the pool but the air temp is only 63 right now. I would freeze my boobs right off, which.....may not be too bad as long as the whole boob doesn't go. Jack is a boob man and it would crush him! I have done 30 minutes on the glider so far and only had a large spicy virgin bloody mary for breakfast!

WELCOME TO JOY!

Here are some of our ladies personal info (the ones who are not included are on their own to introduce themselves! ) I am going to cut and paste your stats onto it, so that each time we have someone new, you don't have to type something out, I just paste everyone's together!

Hi, my name is Faye, I am almost 50, have been married 31 years to a wonderful and totally supportive man, have two grown children, Jack, who is 30 and getting married next fall, and Kelly, who is 26, married and has given me an adorable grandson, Thomas who is 3. I have a Yorkie named Fortune and a cat named Butterscotch. I am not working right now, but have been looking. I exercise at least an hour 7 days a week and my stats are at the bottom of my posts. I have a website: www.freewebs.com\trexnonny/ Please visit it and let me know what you think!

SN: Honeyrose29
I am a 32 yr old married mom of 5 kids ranging in age from 13.5 to 3. Four boys and a girl. My all-time heaviest weight was 232 and my goal is 130-135. I only have about 10-15 lbs left until I reach my goal but I am really struggling with them. I live in Ohio with my family and a house full of parrots . I do private rescue for unwanted birds and I enjoy and spend a great deal of time quilting which is an art passed to me from my grandmother and I think of her with every stitch . Thats my story!

Julie

35 year old, stay-at-home mom of 3 (9,8,and 4). I live in Maine with my husband and the kids. My highest weight ever was 265 (I was pregnant at the time). I started at 3FC at 241, am currently around 238, and my goal is to be in the low 160s. I am working toward a smaller goal of being under 200 pounds by the end of the year.

Carri ( Satine ) - Hi! I am a 29 year old female, married to my high school sweetheart for 9 1/2 years, no kids but one adorable little westie dog named Les. Have lived in Indiana all of my life. Started to gain my weight right after I was married, I got comfortable and lazy...anyhow have been doing a great job lately, focused and need to lose about 90 pounds for goal. Great to meet you!!!

Hi my name is Amanda. I am 30 years old and live in Sheffield, which is in the north of England, although I am hoping to move to Ireland soon. I have a long term partner, Nigel and a cat called Marley.I am a qualified social worker,currently unemployed. I am a Christian and a vegetarian. My hobbies are reading, especially thrillers, watching comedy on T.V and making cards. I also enjoy going to the gym, although I feel it is too early to call that a hobby!

I have just over 100lbs to lose, but seeing all the successes on these forums is a great inspiration and I know I will do it - and you can too!

Hope you can join us

I'm 37 and I have to kids 15 and 5. I've been married 19 years. I am about to start a janitorial business. I did that before and let it go, now the kids are bigger I'm going at it again. I weigh 170 and have weighed that since the first one was born. I would like to weigh 135 which is what I weighed before she was born. I live in Northa Carolina. I wonder are we close? I don't care if you post any of this. Thanks for everything--Debra Lee

43 years old-lived in the South all my life...and love it! I live with my partner Jane of 8 years. We have a booth at local antique mall, and we enjoy going on treasure hunts to find more....I enjoy reading, mostly books by Southern authors, but will read most anything except Science Fiction, or Harlequin Romances...I enjoy writing, cross-stitching, and other crafts. I love to cook....and now I love to exercise!!! (well I don't really love it....but I feel so much better, so I do it whether I want to or not, and it makes me feel great!) I am ever so thankful that I am able to do it now. I spend a lot of time with my mother, sister and my 2 beautiful neices, Nikki and Angie (21 and 19), they are the joys in my life. I currently work as a Switchboard Operator at an answering service where I have been for the last 2 1/2 yrs. Next fall I plan on returning to college (have to exercise this old mind too!) to obtain my Master's Degree in Counseling Psychology...I graduated from Athens State University....waaaaaaay back in 1985!! Well, ladies that's me in a nutshell!! I am loving life these days, and so very grateful to have found this forum and all of you wonderful gals!! Couldn't do this without you. Together we are a united force! Pam

single mommy of one lovey soon to be 7 yr old son going on 30. Lost over 40 lbs back in 2001 weight came back in 2002 when i discovered that I had endo. the pain meds and the lupron helped with that matter. restarted my weight loss on 2/6/3 date of hyst. sw 213 cw 177 goal 150. i am realistic in my goal i know with a large bone structure i will look awful if i go lower. i do ww bbut since june when i found out that richard was leaving i have just been aiming ot eat right, i am now able to get it back on tract and the workouts are in the process of getting to where they need to be but it is hard working 2 jobs and being a mommy to get it all in. Sandy/Gigglez

talk later girlies!
Faye

Old 09-05-2003, 10:36 AM   #11  

Wink

Thank all of you for your welcomes..I really look forward to getting to know all of you today so far I have worked out with Denise Austin and as soon as I leave here ,I am going for a walk..so all of you Ladies take care and have a wonderful day..will check in later .....Joy
Old 09-05-2003, 02:02 PM   #12  

Hi!

I'm afraid I get no points today. It's been raining all day, so I couldn't walk. I was very hungry in the evening so I had 3 sandwiches instead of 1, I did drink my water though. I went to the diet counsellor today and I have lost 400 gms. in 3 days. The problem is I lose in grams and put on in kilos!

Julie, the journal is not so complicated. I just keep it in my purse. It takes 2.5 seconds to note down something everytime you eat it. As regards the calories, don't get hassled by writing the exact values, an approximate value will do.Just go to google, search for calorie charts and you'll be able to find loads.Once you've noted down the ones you commonly consume, it becomes easier as you get a fairly good idea for the next time.
E.G. Yesterday I was on proteins, so I noted whatever I'd been eating, then I went on the net in the evening, roughly calculated what I'd consumed throughout the day, they added upto 800 cal. I found out that an egg has 75 cal. ONE Tblsp. of oil has 120 - and so I figured I could have a 3 egg omelette. But now for the next time I won't have to do this elaborate exercise cos I know the value of an omelette. I'm dreading to see what 3 sandwiches work out to- will find out soon. The thing is to start noting down your food. Then do your calorie calculation whenever convenient, after a few days you will have an approximate idea of how much you're eating. Keep the journal with you while cooking.

All you ladies are so active.I feel like such a fuddy duddy with my walking. But actually I hurt my back in the gym during one of my many weight loss attempts, 5 years ago - it's never been the same again.

Welcome Joy, what a lovely name! You've done absolutely the right thing to join this forum. Everybody's terrific.

The weather here is simply gorgeous. I adore the rain, and today was amazing. It was pouring heavily AND the sun was out. Absolutely stupendous.

Both my kids are out tonight so I'm going to settle down with a new book by John Grisham. Has anyone read it?

Might post again later.

Ritu
Old 09-05-2003, 02:45 PM   #13  
I Can and I Will

hello ladies! I got points for my h2o yesterday and points for exercise. Kinda went off program in that i usually dont eat after i hav had dinner... but hubby got home late so i sat with him at the table and picked a bit... Today is gorgeous here ... sunny , pleasant and teh sky is sooooooo blue. I am going outside to be
with my youngest... he just got a new pair of roller blades... and hes determined to master them today...lol I think I will take him for a wlak...
have a wonderful day ladies! U derserve it!

Sandyb
Old 09-05-2003, 02:52 PM   #14  

Yippee I just calculated my calories and I have consumed only 1300

Faye I get 2 for the programme and 1 for water, 0 for exercise.

So now I can relax with my book. I was so scared I was going to regain the 400 gms.I'm thinking of starting yoga after my son returns to college. Fortunately my daughter studies in Delhi so she still lives at home.

Good night folks

Ritu
Old 09-05-2003, 04:55 PM   #15  
2006 - Panda Remix

Hello Ladies and a very warm welcome to Joy - I love this thread, I post on a few but this is definately my favourite!

Yesterday I got 2 ponts for food, 1 point for water and 1 for exercise - I went to the gym, hurrah!

Ritu - Please don't think you are an old lady for choosing walking as your exercise! Walking is great and if you've had an injury then you don't want to put too much stress on your back. I go on the treadmill at the gym, but can't run on it, I just walk fast! Keep it up!

I am sitting here now enjoying a glass of white wine ( i rarely drink alcohol), having just had a gorgeous meal cooked by my partner to celebrate our anniversary. The meal was not particularly low fat ( fresh pasta in a napolitina, red wine and parmesan sauce with fresh parmesan cheese and reduced fat garlic bread), but I had planned for this meal so do not feel that I lost control or anything! I'm telling you now because my points will be very low tomorrow - but it was worth it!

It's my weigh day tomorrow so I'll let you know ( trust me to have a big meal the night before weigh day!)

Take care

Amanda xx
Closed Thread