WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2001, 11:03 AM   #1  

Talking

Greetings all! This morning was my first trip to the grocery store with my Pointsfinder, and what an experience it was!

I made some interesting snack discoveries and thought I'd share them with the group.
(FYI - I'm in Canada, but these things should be available everywhere)

1 - Quaker Crispie Mini ricecakes. The cheddar cheese flavor worked out to be 1 pt for 8 crackers

2- Ritz mini crackers (regular - i.e. not low fat or low salt - didn't see those in mini). It worked out to be 4 pts for a whopping 43 mini crackers!

3 - Snackwells Potato Thins (sour cream flavour). It was 2 pts for 15 crackers

4 - Rold Gold Pretzels (straight ones). Worked out to be 2 pts for 48 pretzels!!!

I was so surprised when I got there and started figuring out that I could still have all the things I liked - so long as I measured out the portions correctly!

Christine
Old 04-22-2001, 07:25 PM   #2  
Fudgesicle Freak!!

Hi Christine, I am in Ontario also, here are some of my favourite "safe" treats:

Rice Krispie Squares, Peanut Butter Chocolate and the new Caramel Chocolate, 2 pts each

Good Humour Fat Free Fudgesicles, 1pt each,

Snackwells Bite Size Chocolate Chip Cookies, 13 for
3 pts

Sara Lee Free and Light Carrot Cake(with a cream chees frosting!!) 1/10 of cake for 2pts

I also top alot of things with Light Cool Whip, 1 pt for 1/4cup

Hope you enjoy them
Stephanie
Old 04-22-2001, 08:02 PM   #3  

Default Thanks!

I went to my first meeting yesterday and the first thing the leader did was hold up a package from a brownie mix called No Pudge Brownies - I've seen tons of people raving about them, and when I found out they were available at Loblaws, I knew that the only way I'd be able to stick with this decision was to find snack foods and fast foods that I would still be able to enjoy.

I know enough about myself to know that I can't give up all those 'unhealthy' things and subsist only on fruits and veggies. In the right portions I know that I can fit in just about anything and I think that's going to help me make it. Whenever I find more goodies, I will be sure to pass the info along!

Christine
Old 04-23-2001, 03:03 PM   #4  
Teacher Lady

One of my favorite sweet treats are the Sara Lee Cheesecake bites. Each one is only 2 points and they really satisfy the craving.
Old 04-23-2001, 04:16 PM   #5  

I've wondered how many points those little SL cheesecakes had in them. They are incredible!
Old 04-23-2001, 10:43 PM   #6  

Default I've got a nice snack

At the low low cost of .5 pts: Dole No Sugar Added Fruit Bars. 25 calories each, 0 fat = .5 pts! The tropicana ones are also .5 pts, but the Dole ones are much more tastey!

Have 2 if you're REALLY hankering for something sweet!

-Misu
Old 04-25-2001, 05:40 PM   #7  
Always find the good!

I'm a salty snacker. Chips in particular.

Wow Doritos are only 1 pt for a serving.

Love WW!
Old 04-29-2001, 06:03 PM   #8  

Default yummy snacks

You'll love this one. It is three points but counts as two calcium products.

Toast a low fat (calcium fortified) blueberry eggo. Dip in a fat free blueberry yogurt. Yummy!!!!!
Old 05-01-2001, 06:55 AM   #9  

Default Need info on FRUIT BARS ~~~ have info on SOY CRISP to share

Misu-

Can you tell were you find the fruit bars in the grocery store? What does the package look like? I take it they are basically dried fruit- is that it? I really hope so- I can't have anything with artificial sweetners or corn based sweetners either so I am petty limited. I bought some fruit bars a while back but I got them at the outlet store of a chain of grocery stores here in the Midwest. What is the price of the bars? Are they like 'fruit leather'?- I remember that from camping with Girl Scouts as a kid- I always loved it though it takes a lot to prepare it and dehydrate it.

Thanks so much...I love finding out about new snacks to try- so many I would never even know they existed until I read about them here.

One snack I use are Soy Crisp- they are basically rice cakes made primarily with soy. Since so many of the rice cakes have corn/corn syrup/carmel food coloring in them they are off limits to me with my allergies- I am also suppose to limit my rice intake as it shows up as a sensativity to me also though I can use it in moderation without any ill affects. The soy crisp have varrying nutritional info depending on the manufacture.

Glenny's Apple Cinnamon has 77 cal, 1 gram fat, 1.5 gr fiber, 5 gr protien for a little over a 1/2 ounce serving (14 crisp)- they typically run about $1 per package with 2 serving per bag- not bad in comparison to some of the protien bars- you could eat an entire bag for 3 points and have a good serving of protien to boot. The apple cinnimon also are very low sodium- I don't have any of the other flavors from them right now to check the sodium in the Lightly Salted or Onion & Garlic.

The other brand I buy- GeniSoy- has a serving size of 1 ounce (25 crisp), 100 calories, 2 gr fat, 2 grams fiber, 7 grams protien- they are a little higher in sodium but I am looking at the creamy ranch flavor and lighlty salted ones so that could be part of it- both are about 300mg sodium or 11-14% of daily recomended value. They come in a 3.5 ounce bag, 3.5 servings per bag for $2-2.50 per bag- it figures out to 2 points per serving with the entire bag being 6-7 points (though I don't think I could eat that much as the protien level is very filling to me). I can't remember if they come in any other flavors or not- I know this brand does not have an apple cinnamon one- believe me, I have begged.

I buy both of them at health food stores though I have occasionally seen them at grocery stores in the health food section. I think they make a great 'salty & crunchy' snack with a good boost of protien. They are actually pretty balanced with the carbs/fat/protien- I truely believe in eating accross the carb/fat/protein with everything in moderation- with just having found out I only have one functioning kidney I am lucky I never went on the Atkins diet craze- that would have been very detrimental to my kidney and overall health. As far as other ingrediants- they are pretty basic with soy flour, rice peices, a littl oil, sugar cane syrup, and seasonings- all of which I recognize and can pronounce I also love the sweatness of the apple cinnamon- I keep an unopened bag in my car as they hold up to heat/cold and getting smushed (I just get smaller peices then-lol)- they make a great on the run snack or even a light meal substitute with a glass of water or two.

Christine
Old 05-01-2001, 09:32 PM   #10  

Default No Pudge for One!!

Just wanted to share this. If you are like me and are afraid to make the whole package of no pudge because you know you can't stay away from the leftovers, try this. Take 2 tablespoons of the no pudge mix and mix it with 1 tablespoon of fat free yogurt in a small custard dish or teacup, whatever. Put it in the microwave for exactly 1 minute and you have one yummy 2 pt brownie whenever you want with no leftovers.

Brenda
Old 05-01-2001, 09:46 PM   #11  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Brenda..

that is a brillant idea!

the only reason reason I've never bought them is because I was afraid to eat the whole package.
(happened to me with a bag of licorce last week )

Dana
www.digitalsara.com
Old 05-02-2001, 02:58 PM   #12  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Punky,
What a great idea! I agree that it doesn't do me any good to make a LF SF dessert if I have lots of it left over.
I'm pretty suseptible to eating things like that.
Thanks!
Old 05-08-2001, 07:32 AM   #13  

Brenda,

I just wanted you to know what a lifesaver you are. I bought the brownie mix and it is wonderful making just one serving.
MY only question is how did you figure this out? Can I apply this to other mixes where you just add fluid?
Old 05-09-2001, 08:38 PM   #14  

Default Leader thought it was great!

Punky,

Just wanted to let you know that I shared your little tip with my leader at my meeting last week and she thought it was great! She read it out to everyone - and they all agreed!

Thanks!

Christine
Old 05-12-2001, 09:22 PM   #15  

I'm with everyone else . i love the no pudge brownies , but quit making them . I couldn't stop at one or two . Thanks alot ! Kathy
Closed Thread