Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-06-2012, 11:37 PM   #1  

Default Greek Yogurt vs Regular

Crazy sorry if this has already been addressed and I missed it, but I didn't really find what I was looking for when I searched. Alright, so I really hate yogurt. The thing is, I understand how beneficial eating it can be and I really want to like it. I've tried tons of flavors, but unfortunately I just can't get around the taste. That being said, I've never tried Greek style yogurt before. The only kind of information I can fin on it is a compare/contrast of the nutrition labels and the fact that the texture is a lot more thick and creamy than regular, but no one talks about taste! So here's my question: is the taste difference between Greek style yogurt and regular enough that it's worth trying, or is it just the texture?
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:01 AM   #2  
Laura

Location: The beautiful Pacific Northwest! Tacoma, Washington

S/C/G: 330/268/150

Height: 5'7"

Lightbulb

i don't think the taste is much different, mostly thickness and texture. I like it less thick but get the greek yogurt because its so high in protein. It's thicker than I care for and does have just a bit more yogurty taste. If u don't like yogurt u prolly won't like greek yog any better but its worth a shot!
Chubbygirl253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If you hate the taste, I agree that you probably won't like greek yogurt any better.

You might like homemade yogurt with a short incubation time, but making your own yogurt is a lot of work to go through only to possible determine that you don't like it any better.

I'm not a big fan of plain yogurt, but do like it sweetened. I like greek yogurt better, but it's more of a texture thing than a taste difference. I LOVE my homemade yogurt and my first batch only incubated 5 hours, it was the best darned yogurt I'd ever tasted (though it was a bit thin). I've been continuing to experiment, and the shorter the incubation time, the mellower the yogurt (and the runnier). Finding the perfect balance between flavor and thickness has taken me several batches.

Except for my own yogurt, I can't stand unsweetened yogurt, but with my own, I use little if any sweetener. It's that yummy (to me), but it does still have a "yogurt" flavor, just a more mild one.

If you can't stomach the flavor of yogurt, you might consider other fermented probiotic foods (like live cultured sauerkraut - though that's harder and harder to find. Not all bagged sauerkraut is life-culture sauerkraut, but you won't find live-culture sauerkraut in cans or jars).

Or you could use a probiotic supplemnt (usually in capsule form).

I have to say though, as a person diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), that regularly eating yogurt dramatically improved my symptoms.

Last edited by kaplods; 08-07-2012 at 12:46 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #4  

Alright, thanks ladies! I think I'll pick up a small one just to try, hopefully the texture difference might be enough to make it a little easier to handle. If not, I'll definitely look into the supplement - didn't even know that was an option!
Old 08-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #5  
Kandie Apple Sundae

S/C/G: 225/180/150

Height: 5 foot 2

The Chonabi Greek Yogurt with Granola is amazing.
The Yo Plait Yogurt with Oreo cookie crumbles is freaking amazing
The Danamials with the chocolate graham crackers is also delish!

I don't really like yogurt either, but these three are the most delish and I will happily eat them no problem!
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #6  

I have never liked regular yogurt, but I do eat greek yogurt 4 to 5 times a week. I do have to put one splenda in it. My favorite food is ice cream and the greek yogurt is a subsitute for ice cream for me.
lewden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I prefer Oikas brand to Chobani although I have both in my refrigerator, that is just my preference, I do not like plain yogurt at all.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #8  

Ksquared - You know, considering all of the flavors I've tried, I've for some reason never bothered with the kind that has the stuff you add in. I think I'm going to give that a shot as well just to see.

lewden - See, that's what I was thinking, that it might be more like ice cream. I don't have a problem with frozen yogurt (Sadly, freezing yoplait doesn't cut it for me. Funny story, the chocolate whipped kind tastes like strawberry when frozen, my sister and her friend thought so too. So bizarre.) So I was hoping the texture might do the trick, we'll see I guess. Have you ever tried freezing it?

bargoo - So you don't like regular, but you like Greek? Ahhh there is hope! haha

Last edited by thinkfit; 08-07-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

missjean, I think yogurt might be an acquired taste when I first tried it years ago, I tried plain favor and hated it, too tart. The dog didn't even like it. It was a while before I dared tried the yogurt with fruit and to my surprise liked it . You might try Dannon Lite and Fit or Activia. It has only been a few months since I started eating the Greek Yogurt and I do like it but not the plain, too tart again. You have many flavors to choose from with both Chobani and Oikos it is richer and thicker also more expensive and more calories than either Activia or Dannon Lite and Fit. Yoplait also has some good ones.

Last edited by bargoo; 08-07-2012 at 01:33 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #10  
Viking Barbarian

S/C/G: 298/226/120

Height: 5'8"

To me: greek yogurt is bitter and too think and just gross. I demo food at Sam's Club so I've tried it many times...I can barely swallow the stuff.
But most people claim that the fruit ones are great, (I tried it and didn't like it either, but maybe I'm weird) check out Chobani or Okios. The first one is our best seller though, so everyone can't be wrong.

Edit: just scanned through the replies to find almost everyone mentioned those brands lol
Go for the Chobani with fruit though, I think Starbucks or somewhere similar sells them by the cup so you don't have to buy a whole case if you hate it. Just keep an eye out...or even take a trip to a hospital food court! lol the last 2 hospitals I was at had them haha

Last edited by TheVikingNinja; 08-07-2012 at 01:54 PM.
TheVikingNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #11  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i like to eat plain greek yogurt with some splenda and eat cherries with it, or mix in some granola...i like that it has alot of protein and also doesn't have the sweeteners in it that other flavored yogurts have
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #12  
Kandie Apple Sundae

S/C/G: 225/180/150

Height: 5 foot 2

I didn't like the plain yogurt.. but the yogurt with stuff to add to it.. like granola made it tolerable until I developed a taste for it.
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #13  

You guys are awesome! I'm going shopping tomorrow morning. Since you can buy single servings I think I'm going to get a few of the different kinds mentioned above and give 'em a shot. I've also got splenda, so I'll make sure to try adding that if I don't like it. I'll let you guys know how it goes! Thanks again
Old 08-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I love Greek yogurt. It pretty much tastes and resembles sour cream because it's so thick and tart. I use the fat free plain as a substitute for sour cream most of the time.

My four year old daughter eats it with a little bit of honey and sometimes fruit mixed in.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #15  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

If you don't mind the sugar, Stonyfield has a chocolate Greek yogurt that is like dessert to me. I really like Chobani, especially their honey and vanilla flavors. They also have a vanilla chocolate chip, but I haven't tried it yet.

Kaplods, aren't you the one who mixes sugar free pudding mix into plain Greek yogurt to make a cheesecakey-like dessert? That probably tones down the yogurt flavor a bit, right?
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote