Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 158/158/125

Height: 5'4

Default Does anyone have a FitBit?

I saw one blogger do a short review about Fitbit.. It really looks like an awesome little device. Does anyone have it? & if so, what do you like/don't like about it? I'm on the edge of getting one.

Info: http://www.fitbit.com/product
sensualappeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 280/192.5/130

My husband and I both have fitbits. Since getting one, I have lost 35 pounds. They are discreet and give you such valuable information. I would recommend them to anyone!! If you have specific questions, let me know! I am happy to share.
meltitaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/160/150

Height: 5' 9"

I have a fitbit and I absolutely love it.
I also bought the aria, the scale by the same company.
So I'm basically tracking myself 24/7

I've found the little sleep tracker wristband thing that comes along with it useful. Before you go to bed you stick the fitbit in the wristband. It tracks your slight movements I think, and records how long you were in bed versus when you were restless. Since lack of sleep makes people eat more, it was helpful to motivate me to get my "quality sleep" up to 8 hours by getting to bed earlier. You can also plug it in to a sleep debt site which will take your fitbit sleep data and give you guidelines about how to pay down the sleep debt you've accumulated.

The aria is great too. I wake up in the morning, step on the scale, and it automatically transmits my weight and body fat % (body fat apparently found via a harmless current) using my wireless to the my fitbit stats. Couldn't be easier. So cool to see my chart of weight/bmi/bodyfat going down on their site.

Then I just clip the fitbit on my pant waistband (agree with meltitaway it's very discreet) and it keeps track of my steps and stairs climbed during the day. The best part is the motivation to keep moving. For instance, today I made sure to walk enough to reach my minimum goal of 10k steps, and then I noticed when I looked at my stats that I would reach a badge/milestone if I reached 70 floors climbed and I was almost there. So I stopped on my way home at the park and walked up some stairs a few times. Yeah, it's sort of silly motivation (they send you a cute email when you reach a goal or achievement, and your stats on their site show your past glories ), but it works to keep you going, if you're already somewhat motivated.

There's lots of other cool features, but those are the highlights for me.

If there was one downside for me it would be that the fitbit needs to sync with this little usb plugin thingy in order to update your daily stats to their website. It's not a big deal, when I come home and turn the computer on it automatically syncs up since my fitbit is in the 15 ft. range of the device. But it would be nice if there was some way I could see my stats update in realtime on the ipad or iphone without being near my computer. You can of course read your steps, stairs climbed, calories burned, etc.. on the small display on the fitbit itself.
ddovii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

Oh, yes, I am addicted to it you might say.

I am also extremely goal oriented, so each day I strive to get 10,000 steps as a challenge. Most days I get it, so I give it a big thumbs up.
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:55 AM   #5  

I want a Fit Bit too!! The fitbit website is free...you have to pay for the BodyBugg website. Let me know if you get one Judi...I was thinking of asking for one for my b-day in April!!
vjykmr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 227/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9''

I love my fitbit! It is an essential part of my weight loss plan. I count calories so it is very handy. I put in what I eat on the website and then can see the calorie deficit everyday of in vs out.
The one gripe I have is that the display is hard to read outside in the sun. Since my workouts are mainly inside it is okay for me.
angie7896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #7  
Workin for a New ankle

S/C/G: 256.8/ticker/155

Height: 5'7.5"

Do you think this product would be accurate if you have a limp? I have one and have always wondered if a pedometer would work... This seems so much cooler
Puffyamiyumifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 183/160/150

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffyamiyumifan View Post
Do you think this product would be accurate if you have a limp? I have one and have always wondered if a pedometer would work... This seems so much cooler
Puffyamiyumifan, I'm not sure if your concern is stride length or step count, I'm assuming both. The stride should be fine because you can customize it. Just measure yourself and input it, if your stride is unique. Otherwise it uses a measurement based on your height and gender.

The count of steps might be a problem, but I doubt it. Make sure wherever you purchase it from allows returns if it fails to count your steps. It's well worth the cost, but it's not cheap compared to a standard pedometer.

I tried a quick test where I pretended I had a limp, and it counted my steps perfectly, however when I limp I noticed there's still plenty of cyclical up and down and forward movement for the fitbit to record. If that's not the case for you it may not.

Quote:
The Fitbit Tracker uses a three-dimensional accelerometer, similar to that in the Wii Remote, to sense user movement
(wikipedia)
ddovii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I have a bodybugg, which is fairly similar and the exact same price. I love it! I always feel so accomplished when I beat my "calories burned" goal, and find myself doing things like taking the stairs and parking farther away to meet it. I'm also generally more excited and willing to exercise now that I can see my progress.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #10  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Does the bodybugg do the sleep tracking thing too?
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/154.7/130

Height: 5'3"

I have a bodybugg as well and I love it! There isn't a specific section of the bodybugg program that tracks your sleep, however it does show your calories burned and a graph, so you can see if you were restless, woke up and went to the bathroom, etc. I find it interesting to look back at my night, the next morning and then I know how well I slept. It also shows how many calories you're burning per minute all of the time, so you can see when you were at your deepest sleep because you're burning less calories.
wiredkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #12  
Back to being healthy

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8'

I have a fitbit. It is nice to know how far you walk and the stairs you walk. You can try and beat your score each day.
Lishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #13  
Kandie Apple Sundae

S/C/G: 225/180/150

Height: 5 foot 2

I have a fitbit and I love it! I find it pretty accurate. It was this of the Bodybugg, but I got the fitbit since the website is free. I have had mine for about a year and have no trouble with it.

At night I clip mine onto my shirt, push the button to record and go to bed. Next morning my sleep is recorded on the computer as I put my shoes on in the morning and I am out the door.
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote