Old 08-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #1  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

Default August Atkins Chat Thread

Happy August all! It's a bittersweet month because we'll be saying a fond farewell to summer but, my favorite time of year is Autumn around here on my little island paradise. Atkins will be hard for me though, because of all the berry picking. Usually we make jams and jellies but this year I'll just have to freeze it all and eat it on moderation.

A few of us are back to induction levels for the next few weeks and anyone is, of course as always, welcome to join in. I really should just stay on super-induction till after Christmas, lol, all these holidays coming up scare me!
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #2  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

S/C/G: 350/ticker/200

Height: 5'6"

I like the term "super induction". LOL! I hadnt even thought of the holidays coming up. Oye! The good news is...there is always PLENTY of meat options and veggie options.

My niece's Sweet 16 is next week and guess who was asked to make the cake??? Yup...ME! So for 2 days I'll be surrounded by cake and icing! Lucky me!

As far as super-induction goes....I think I'm going to be on Induction until I reach my 199 goal. It's not that far off but I think it'll take a few months. After that I'll work my way up that carb ladder.
Simona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #3  
Born to lose!

S/C/G: 160/150/125

Height: 5 foot 1 inch

If you're a loner like me, and you don't go to many houses through the holidays, you can avoid all the bad foods. My biggest weakness was passing the pumpkin roll while in the checkout at Kroger!
jamie26301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #4  
I'm a khaleesi!!

Oh how I wish I was a loner enough to avoid parties but I have a big family and we all live within a block of eachother...its like a merry-go-round of parties from the beginning of October through mid January with holidays and birthdays.

Simona, if you ever read Suicide by Sugar you will never want to eat icing or cake again, basically, it really get the point home that sugar is poison. I read it some last weekend and actually threw the sugar in my baking cupboard away. The only one that ever ate it was my son when he eats corn flakes but I've stopped buying cereal since we have so much bacon and eggs in the house.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #5  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

S/C/G: 350/ticker/200

Height: 5'6"

I'll see if they have it on Kindle or at iBooks. I'd be interested in it.

Sugar is one of those things that I never keep in my house. I never have, even long before low carbing. It has no nutritional value whatsoever so there's really no point in consuming it. Never mind that it's likely the most addictive substance on the planet!

With the cake and icing...the smell of it gets to me. Im not a sweets person but the smell of it just sets off cravings for junk. I'm hoping that since I'll be on track for at least a week before I have to make the cake that I'll be fine and wont want to eat every bag of chips in the city!
Simona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #6  
I'm a khaleesi!!

I have the Kindle version, so I know you'll find it.

My biggest trigger is also the smell of baked goods...oh...and pizza. I deleted my account on pinterest because all the people I followed posted baked goods and foods all dang day long. Lol! I was there for pictures of shoes, I swear!

Tonight after work I'm going to go to the one ghetto store we have on the island and see if they have Kale...and if so... I shall make kale chips. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #7  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Pumpkin Recipe for Jamie...

I love pumpkin too, Jamie. Here's a recipe from Linda's Low Carb site - it's delicious.

JODY'S PUMPKIN BAKE
8 ounces cream cheese, softened

5 eggs
1/2 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
15 ounce can pumpkin
1 1/2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla

Put the cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and beat well. Pour into a 6x8" greased glass baking dish. Bake at 350º about 40 minutes or until the center feels firm and a knife inserted in the center comes out relatively clean. Cool, then chill before serving.
Makes 6 servings
Do not freeze
With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 228 Calories; 18g Fat; 9g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 220 Calories; 18g Fat; 9g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #8  
Born to lose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyfanny View Post
I love pumpkin too, Jamie. Here's a recipe from Linda's Low Carb site - it's delicious.

JODY'S PUMPKIN BAKE
8 ounces cream cheese, softened

5 eggs
1/2 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
15 ounce can pumpkin
1 1/2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla

Put the cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and beat well. Pour into a 6x8" greased glass baking dish. Bake at 350º about 40 minutes or until the center feels firm and a knife inserted in the center comes out relatively clean. Cool, then chill before serving.
Makes 6 servings
Do not freeze
With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 228 Calories; 18g Fat; 9g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 220 Calories; 18g Fat; 9g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

OH MY GOSH, OH MY GOSH! Haha, is this like pumpkin roll? I so have to try this this year!
Old 08-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #9  
Born to lose!

I made beefy mushroom soup the other day, and it turned out ok. The broth was very fluid because I couldn't find pumpkin sauce to put with it.

I also made the bacon cheddar quiche. It was delish! I just hope it's as good chilled as it was fresh out of the oven!
Old 08-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #10  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
Happy August all! It's a bittersweet month because we'll be saying a fond farewell to summer but, my favorite time of year is Autumn around here on my little island paradise. Atkins will be hard for me though, because of all the berry picking. Usually we make jams and jellies but this year I'll just have to freeze it all and eat it on moderation.

A few of us are back to induction levels for the next few weeks and anyone is, of course as always, welcome to join in. I really should just stay on super-induction till after Christmas, lol, all these holidays coming up scare me!
Where do you live? Island living sounds lovely. I saw a recipe for freezer jelly/jam (I think by Alton Brown) maybe that would help? I agree with staying on super-induction till after Christmas! The holidays will be trying - here is an idea, maybe we can all research Atkins friendly alternative recipes for out holiday favorites and make a "cookbook" to go from.
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #11  
Changing for the better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simona View Post
I like the term "super induction". LOL! I hadnt even thought of the holidays coming up. Oye! The good news is...there is always PLENTY of meat options and veggie options.

My niece's Sweet 16 is next week and guess who was asked to make the cake??? Yup...ME! So for 2 days I'll be surrounded by cake and icing! Lucky me!

As far as super-induction goes....I think I'm going to be on Induction until I reach my 199 goal. It's not that far off but I think it'll take a few months. After that I'll work my way up that carb ladder.

Oh, I do not envy the cake situation! I am usually the baker but that won't be happening unless it is Atkins friendly lol. I just realized that we're really close to the same weight and have similar goals (I may have seen it in our re-induction thread just don't remember). I want to do induction till I hit 197 (no longer obese). Let's do it
Old 08-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #12  
Changing for the better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
I have the Kindle version, so I know you'll find it.

My biggest trigger is also the smell of baked goods...oh...and pizza. I deleted my account on pinterest because all the people I followed posted baked goods and foods all dang day long. Lol! I was there for pictures of shoes, I swear!

Tonight after work I'm going to go to the one ghetto store we have on the island and see if they have Kale...and if so... I shall make kale chips. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

I am with you on the smells of baked goods and pizza! LOL @ Pinterest comment-I am one of those constant food posters (though recently I look up more exercises since low carb isn't popular on there). I hope you can find your kale! If not, I did see a post for "spinach chips" similar to kale.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #13  
Changing for the better

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyfanny View Post

JODY'S PUMPKIN BAKE
[/I]

I bought the ingredients for this last week since I love pumpkin too! I'll let y'all know how it turns out this weekend!
Old 08-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #14  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Feeling mischievous today:

Now that I'm so conscious of carb content, I find myself counting up everyone else's carbs. I don't say anything obnoxious, but I sure think it when I see people coming out of the Carb Cave [our kitchenette ] at work with one of those Panera 1 pound bagels.

Gotta be a WORLD of carbs in one of those babies!!!!!

Is that naughty and self-righteous or what!

spanky
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #15  
Born to lose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky View Post
Feeling mischievous today:

Now that I'm so conscious of carb content, I find myself counting up everyone else's carbs. I don't say anything obnoxious, but I sure think it when I see people coming out of the Carb Cave [our kitchenette ] at work with one of those Panera 1 pound bagels.

Gotta be a WORLD of carbs in one of those babies!!!!!

Is that naughty and self-righteous or what!

spanky
LOL. I'm sure you've struggled at one time or another.