Old 07-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #1  
Back to being healthy

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8'

Default Newbie question about water

I started to try and loose this weight on Friday 7/27. I read that drinking 2 glasses of water (16oz/500cc) before meals helps curb your hunger. I have found this to be true so far (3 days). I have also been trying to drink a LOT OF WATER (4-6L a day). I have found I am not hungry if I drink my water or flavored water(crystal light). Is this normal? I am eating less than 1500 calories a day and thought I would be hungry. The only draw back is that I have to pee all the time. LOL. I have found I am thirsty where before I never really noticed that.

Any feedback is welcomed and appreciated.
Lishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Sounds like you're right on track! Water is an excellent way to deal with hunger, especially since thirst can often manifest as hunger. Yes, the curbed appetite is normal and an excellent thing, and many new calorie counters find that the first week or two of counting also comes with a curbed appetite, so it might be a bit of both.

Your body should also get used to accepting more water and with time you shouldn't have to use the bathroom quiet so often.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #3  
Back to being healthy

Thanks for the response. I made myself lunch before drinking my 2 glasses of water today . After I ended up cutting it in half and was satisfied. Now I have lunch for tomorrow in the fridge.

I wonder when my body will get an equilibrium? Soon I hope.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #4  
Back to being healthy

I am glad to know this is normal. It is strange to not feel hungry. I was getting a little before dinner but drank my water before serving myself and that was it. I hope I can keep this motivation up for the year its going to take me to rid myself of this extra weight.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lishar View Post
I am glad to know this is normal. It is strange to not feel hungry. I was getting a little before dinner but drank my water before serving myself and that was it. I hope I can keep this motivation up for the year its going to take me to rid myself of this extra weight.
It's funny, but often it's the foods we eat that make us more hungry than we really should be. Fat and sugar leave (e.g. a fast food meal) me absolutely famished, whereas similar sized healthy meals leave me overfull. Another part of what you're probably experiencing is the lack of that irrationally huge appetite that certain foods give us (super-processed, fatty, sugary, and refined flour).
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly315 View Post
It's funny, but often it's the foods we eat that make us more hungry than we really should be. Fat and sugar leave (e.g. a fast food meal) me absolutely famished, whereas similar sized healthy meals leave me overfull. Another part of what you're probably experiencing is the lack of that irrationally huge appetite that certain foods give us (super-processed, fatty, sugary, and refined flour).
This is so true for me. I try to drink at least 80 ounces of water a day. I refill three 20 ounce bottles and keep them in the fridge at work. I sometimes add zero calorie flavoring like Mio, sometimes not. I try to drink 2 more at home - one in the morning and one at supper. I find I go to the bathroom pretty often and I don't think that changes much. After all, water in = pee out. No changing that.

Welcome to the club. It really does sound like you have things in perspective. Good luck to you.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 286/262/176

Height: 5'8"

I think 4-6L a day is too much. 2-3L should be enough.
Drinking a glass or two of water 15 mins before a meal is good if your looking to reduce the portions you eat, so if you used to eat a full plate, you might only feel like half the plate. But you shouldn't be thinking I'll drink water instead of eating. That's starving yourself and that's not a long term option. You still need eat quality food to feed your muscles and organs. If your not eating enough or skipping meals you'll only slow your metabolism down.
collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #8  
Back to being healthy

Good point. I am balancing my meals. Veggies, proteins and carbs. I am a bad snacker. So this is helping. Not to feel hungry between meals. If I do I get a few carrots or an apple.

I really think I had dehydrated myself. All I used to drink was coffee or diet coke. Right now I am trying to flush my system and reset my body to realize that I am going to hydrate it. I know I am holding on to a lot of water weight. Once that is off I will be able to start loosing this fat.

This morning at church I was really thirsty. Luckily I brought my water with me. I had almost a liter before church but I had also had 2 cups of coffee. I am trying to cut out the caffeine slowly to reduce the headaches. My 4 cups a day and 6-7 diet cokes are a thing of the past.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:09 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 286/262/176

Height: 5'8"

It's good to take a water bottle with you most places you go. Yes coffee is a diuretic and isn't bad to have, but you need to balance it with water. Maybe even 2 glasses of water to every coffee.

Water is needed for rehydration which will get rid of your headaches. Other handy things are green leafy vegetables... they naturally have water stored which helps to hydrate and you can eat as much as you like.

Maybe you could have celery sticks as a good thing for when you want to snack on something.

Try not to focus on the weight, you will lose naturally from eating well. As long as your meals are a reasonable size and not large portions and you eat healthy vegetables and limit the unhealthy ones such as potatoes or starchy things. You'll lose a few pounds early on, but you'll probably also notice your waist line get smaller.

Don't focus on the weight, have faith in what your eating and with a little exercise it will take care of itself.
collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote