Old 12-21-2010, 12:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Roller Derby is my drug

So I have been gone a while and gained 16 pounds since I was last posting. And the only reason I hit 139 last July was because I had a horrific bout of pneumonia. Well, after a vacation and my torrid love affair with donuts and pizza, I am back.

Since last summer I have also turned my passion for photography into a business and sitting on my butt editing photos doesn't help either. Last October I decided to cross roller derby off my bucket list and just do it. I was ready to start four years ago, and found out I was knocked up. Best thing that ever happened to me, but I had to put derby on the back burner.

You know what is intimidating? Showing up alone to your first fresh meat practice. I am pretty sure I can drop this extra weight in little to no time at all, as long as I watch what I eat and work out a few days a week besides practice days. Maybe even keep track of my points again (WW).

Is it possible to end January 2011 with a ten-pound weight loss, flourishing career, and make the derby team? I think it might be.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:10 AM   #2  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Hey 'spank that mama'- welcome back chicky! Roller derby that looks so Fun, I so would come out & play if we had that in my neck of the woods, but unfortunately we do not, I'm jealous... Have Fun! Mamaspank will transform herself again into spank that mama soonish! Go girl. ~ Wendalyn
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/164.0/115

Height: 5'2"

Yay Roller Derby!!! Best sport ever- good luck making the team.
Hope 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:55 AM   #4  

Hey mamaspank -
Roller derby - yes! I've had my gear since July but am waiting for fresh meat practices to start. I can't wait to get started, but I am nervous about showing up my first time.

When did you start? How has it been going? I'd love to hear all about it. Any advice?

Thanks.
NHDerby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/160/125

Height: 5'3"

You can do it!

I tested into Fresh Meat some time in August, tested up to Rookie in October, and now I'm learning and practicing, practicing, practicing to make Rollergirl. I hope to test up to Rollergirl by the end of our season in May. But I gotta lose some weight and get into better shape. I don't have a lot of endurance and you have to make at least 25 laps in 5 minutes to make Rollergirl, and I'm only at 23 right now (maybe I need better wheels, right )

Best of luck for your assessments! I'm sure you'll do great!

Last edited by Sigrid; 01-03-2011 at 02:47 AM.
Sigrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #6  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I'm currently toying with the idea of becoming a derby referee. Skating seems like a good way to get into shape.
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:17 AM   #7  
banned

S/C/G: 322/ticker/165

Height: 5*7

OMG ref's have it so much harder it seems. at least in my league. they have to do everything that we do in fresh meat, along with more laps in the same amount of time 7 in 1 and 30 in 5 i think. they had us do it at practice the other day and i know it was a lot.

at any rate, for those of you doing derby, what league are you with? im fresh meat with Angel City Derby Girls in Los Angeles.

Also, is anyone doing the roller derby workout challenge?

Last edited by princesspuffypants; 01-10-2011 at 05:18 AM.
princesspuffypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 202/150

Height: 5'3"

I so wish I could join Derby! Serious question for all you Derby girls, just how at risk are your hands for injuries?? My hands are kinda my work, since I'm a jeweler and all, and I can't risk doing anything that would put me out of work. I love watching Derby, and I totally agree that skating would seriously knock the weight off, but how dangerous is it really?
leimel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:32 AM   #9  
banned

S/C/G: 322/ticker/165

Height: 5*7

well thats what all the protective gear is for. but broken fingers arent uncommon. we learn how to get up without putting our hands on the ground, but its possible to have your hand rolled over and a finer broken. i would just invest in good glove type wrist guards.
princesspuffypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:32 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilwomaniamshe View Post
Hey 'spank that mama'- welcome back chicky! Roller derby that looks so Fun, I so would come out & play if we had that in my neck of the woods, but unfortunately we do not, I'm jealous... Have Fun! Mamaspank will transform herself again into spank that mama soonish! Go girl. ~ Wendalyn

Thanks, Wendalyn! You ought to try to catch a bout somewhere sometime. Derby is the hardest thing I have ever done. I have always considered myself and athlete and I can honestly say that I have never sucked so bad at anything ever. I have been doing this since October and can't believe how much I have learned. Especially about myself and my body.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:43 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDerby View Post
Hey mamaspank -
Roller derby - yes! I've had my gear since July but am waiting for fresh meat practices to start. I can't wait to get started, but I am nervous about showing up my first time.

When did you start? How has it been going? I'd love to hear all about it. Any advice?

Thanks.
I started in October. That first practice was so intimidating. I went alone -- a lot of people bring a friend for their first time, even if they are just going to watch. I am not going to lie, my team is pretty elitist. Not the friendliest bunch. It took a little while to make friends, but now I am in like Flint. I am now the official photographer for the men's league and will be taking my skills test in March.

I twisted my knee in practice on Sunday, but after icing it and painkillers, I am going to skate Wednesday no matter what. You have to be able to devote quite a bit of time. Actually, a lot. I practice twice a week for a couple hours each time. The time I put in on my own though is about another four to six hours a week. I like to skate with the men's team and also skate at the local skating rink just to free skate and work on all my extra stuff that you don't really need to know for skills. Our team has some pretty flashy skaters, and those tricks come in handy during bouts.

My advice would be to just go for it. Don't let them scare you off. You have got to work your tail off. I would say I am having the toughest time building my endurance. I burn so many calories and am having a helluva time losing weight because I eat so freakin' much after practice. You really have to up your protein and try to make sure you are snacking with stuff like fruit and vegis and greek yogurt. My issue is I know I have burnt 2000 calories after a practice and promptly go and make up for it the rest of the day. You can do it. Don't let those beautiful skates go to waste. Go be aggressive and fierce.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigrid View Post
You can do it!

I tested into Fresh Meat some time in August, tested up to Rookie in October, and now I'm learning and practicing, practicing, practicing to make Rollergirl. I hope to test up to Rollergirl by the end of our season in May. But I gotta lose some weight and get into better shape. I don't have a lot of endurance and you have to make at least 25 laps in 5 minutes to make Rollergirl, and I'm only at 23 right now (maybe I need better wheels, right )

Best of luck for your assessments! I'm sure you'll do great!

You are so close to your laps. You will have that in no time. Good luck to you too!
Old 01-18-2011, 11:46 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauvaisroux View Post
I'm currently toying with the idea of becoming a derby referee. Skating seems like a good way to get into shape.
It's a fabulous way to get into shape, make a ton of friends and empower yourself. I will say one thing, my body has never looked so different. I don't know if it is a good thing either. I am just a lot more solid, less svelte.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:50 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by leimel View Post
I so wish I could join Derby! Serious question for all you Derby girls, just how at risk are your hands for injuries?? My hands are kinda my work, since I'm a jeweler and all, and I can't risk doing anything that would put me out of work. I love watching Derby, and I totally agree that skating would seriously knock the weight off, but how dangerous is it really?
I was a court reporter for years. Honestly, it can be pretty dangerous. It is the most dangerous thing I have ever done, and I played the gamut of sports in high school. You do have protective gear, but nothing for your chin, collarbone, shoulders, hips, ankles, back. I have seen some insane injuries. Luckily, you wear a nice little wrist guard, and I have found that to be the most important protection, aside from knee pads, that I use the most. So, yes, very dangerous. I don't want to dissuade you because it is life-changing and I am in love with it.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:55 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspuffypants View Post
OMG ref's have it so much harder it seems. at least in my league. they have to do everything that we do in fresh meat, along with more laps in the same amount of time 7 in 1 and 30 in 5 i think. they had us do it at practice the other day and i know it was a lot.

at any rate, for those of you doing derby, what league are you with? im fresh meat with Angel City Derby Girls in Los Angeles.

Also, is anyone doing the roller derby workout challenge?
I am fresh meat with Treasure Valley Rollergirls in Boise, Idaho. When is your skills assessment?