Old 07-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #1  
Born to lose!

S/C/G: 160/150/125

Height: 5 foot 1 inch

Default I don't like veggies :(

I was posting in the Atkins forum, and was told that veggies taste better the longer you eat them.

But I was just wondering if there was a diet you could do that doesn't involve having a salad everyday. If so, what's it called (what book can I buy) and what do you eat?
jamie26301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #2  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Honestly, many people have lost tons of weight without ever touching a salad. Weight loss isnt determined by how many carrots you eat. Its determined by how many calories you eat and how many calories you burn.

As for a specific diet, I am sorry but I can't suggest one as I have never followed a specific program (Atkins, South Beach ect..)

Have you tried Weight Watchers? That allows you alot of freedom.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Veggies taste better sometimes if you cook them in things. However, if you don't want or like that idea, then many people lose weight without eating many vegs.

I'm embarrassed to say that I probably eat fruit/veg only a few times a week, and lost 125 pounds in the past doing that. I have to admit that the main reason I don't eat nearly enough of them is because usually when I'm dieting, I'm less hungry, and sometimes have a hard time reaching my minimum calorie intake (and you would have to eat soooo many vegetables to make a difference!). When I am hungry, it's usually emotional hunger (because I try to make sure I eat often enough to not deal with actual hunger) so veg wouldn't cut it. However, I'm working on adding more!

You can lose weight eating just about anything, as long as you count your calories. It's not necessarily healthy, but it works.

Last edited by kelly315; 07-27-2012 at 05:46 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #4  
Born to lose!

I could do the counting calories easy-peasy. And last year I tried eating whatever I wanted, but only eating a serving, and very little at a time, when it was an unhealthy option. Didn't seem to work for me. Seems carbs are my problem.

Can you give me an example of a day's menu doing it the way ya'll do it?

And the problem with WW I don't have the money to join right now.

Last edited by jamie26301; 07-27-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

I eat 1200 a day, and that's eating pretty much what I want. I can't really give you a menu, because it's different from day to day. I more or less eat what I like, but healthier and less. I don't eat much white flour, sugar, or fat, and that keeps my cravings down. When I'm busy, I like to eat Amy's Frozen meals, which tend to be pretty healthy (even if high in sodium).
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:57 PM   #6  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

Hey Jamie, sorry to see you're still struggling. I know what you mean about carbs being your problem, since this is my first low carb attempt I only know about Atkins.. BUT maybe you should ask Kaplods about what she does, she writes quite frequently about doing low carb her own way and it seems to be working well for her-she made up her own exchange plan.
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:35 AM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly315 View Post
You can lose weight eating just about anything, as long as you count your calories. It's not necessarily healthy, but it works.
this says perfectly!
While we all want to look our best, isn't being healthy what its really all about? There are many "diets" out there designed to help you lose weight. Without mentioning any of them specificially, many of them are not healthy. In a nutshell, avoiding processed foods, refined carbs & sugar is the key to improved health.
That being said, on Atkins, real butter (not that fake, plastic stuff ) and real cheese (not non-fat, low-fat) are permitted. Broccoli or cauliflower with cheese sauce, green beans with bacon or almonds, creamed spinach, oven roasted zucchini with parmesan cheese, faux mashed potatoes....all are Atkins friendly
As for salads, BLT salad, tuna salad, egg salad, chicken salad (all made with REAL mayo), chef salad, taco salad.....creamy, full fat dressings like ranch, ceasar, parmesan-peppercorn....all are Atkins friendly.
The key with veggies & salads is to make them taste good. If something tastes good, you'll eat it and enjoy it. I encourage you to look at the recipes on Linda's low carb site:
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html
Even those who say they don't like veggies could find something there they'd like
Remember, as Kelly315 said "You can lose weight eating just about anything, as long as you count your calories. It's not necessarily healthy, but it works." The true key is to lose the weight AND to be healthy
You CAN do this Jamie, it is just going to take a little adjusting but, it is definitely worth it!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 07-28-2012 at 06:36 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #8  
Born to lose!

Thanks for all the replies.

JerseyGyrl, I'm probably better off not committing to any diet until I have more money to buy a variety of things to cook.

I think until I have money, which will be September, I should just watch portions and try to stay away from sugar and refined carbs.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #9  
One Day at a Time

S/C/G: 118/118/110

Veggies are a big part of a good diet. Maybe you could start experimenting with different ways to eat things~ start looking at recipes. I don't "prefer" fruit to carbs, in fact I don't care much for it, but I can make myself eat it. Know what I mean? Sandwich (no play on words here!) bites of veggies between things you love to eat.
smalltownok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #10  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie26301 View Post

JerseyGyrl, I'm probably better off not committing to any diet until I have more money to buy a variety of things to cook.

I think until I have money, which will be September, I should just watch portions and try to stay away from sugar and refined carbs.

Thanks!
Jamie, staying away from the sugar & refined carbs are the 2 biggies

There are a lot of diets out there and I will be the first to say Atkins is not for everyone. I think its important to research different plans and decide if one of them is something you are willing to make your lifestyle. Diets don't work, lifestyle changes are what work.

For the time being, if you are able to watch your portions and stay clear of sugar & refined carbs, you are well on your way to a healthy lifestyle!

All the best to you!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #11  
Born to lose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
Jamie, staying away from the sugar & refined carbs are the 2 biggies

There are a lot of diets out there and I will be the first to say Atkins is not for everyone. I think its important to research different plans and decide if one of them is something you are willing to make your lifestyle. Diets don't work, lifestyle changes are what work.

For the time being, if you are able to watch your portions and stay clear of sugar & refined carbs, you are well on your way to a healthy lifestyle!

All the best to you!
Thanks JerseyGyrl!

I have good news: My rent will be lowered next month. (My rent is based on income and I quit working in June to get ready for school.) So I'll have 100 extra dollars to spend on gathering ingredients for recipes. And I will do that next month - I'll check Linda's recipes and see what sounds good to me!

And I'm getting back on the Atkins wagon tomorrow! My dear friend was telling me how I don't stay on one diet long enough to see if it works. And I haven't weighed myself since I started. So, I'll have to invest in a scale (what are some good scales to buy?) because I don't want to have to turn on my Wii every time I want to weigh myself.

I may tweak Atkins, and do what someone else was doing, which was to just keep my carb count down to 20g a day. Or I can see about different ways to cook veggies.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:27 AM   #12  
South Dakota Girl

S/C/G: 160/147/125

Height: 5'5"

I hate veggies and hide that fact from my nine year old daughter! I drink a supplement called GREENS (its a powder that i mix w water.) It's not good but at least i get the good stuff in me every other day. I figure at 51 it's time to at least TRY to be healthy - not just skinny as used to be my goal. I am doing my darndest to be a good example so my daughter never has food issues. She is a skinny lanky kid just like I was but age and years of unhealthy eating changes things (having her at the age of 42 didn't help my figure either!) LOL
sdejager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:00 AM   #13  
This means war...

S/C/G: 277/237/199

Height: 5'2"

I know its an unpopular thing on 3FC to say you don't eat much veg, but I'm one of those that can't make them work for me often. I like salads, in certain situations and SMOTHERED with ranch dressing and thats what works for me with lower carb eating, I can have my full fat ranch on my veggies and it help me enjoy them more.

Also, can I just say...Caesar salad Full fat, lol!

I can live without a lot of carbs and I can eat a lot of fat with my protein and veggies as long as I can have caesar salads and full fat ranch I'm all good.
Mango30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #14  
N

S/C/G: 175/150/135

Height: 5' 3"

Low carb sauces are the way to go! They can make any vegetables taste good. And veggies are mostly cheaper than meat. So for convenience sake, get some full fat salad dressing you like (ranch is a good starter choice), Parmesan cheese, and sour cream, and butter. Green beans, broccoli, almost anything tastes good microwaved then smothered in butter or sour cream and Parmesan cheese. You can use salad dressing on cooked veggies too. And I'm a huge fan of bacon salads with ranch dressing. Try a ratio of bacon to lettuce that is what you would put on a sandwich (but without the bread), just a little lettuce with lots of bacon or other meat, and dressing.

I'm afraid eating just meat without any veggies is not very healthy, will make you constipated, and will shut down your metabolism. At least take a multivitamin. If that's where you are.

Good luck!
Nan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #15  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan S View Post
and will shut down your metabolism.
You win an award for making the most misinformed statement I've read all day.

Last edited by ghost; 02-10-2013 at 02:37 PM.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote