Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/130 mini goal 228

Height: 5'6"

Default What kind of bike should I get?

I have been looking at cruiser bikes and I really want to get one to give me a little more variety in the exercise dept. I'm not sure if I should get a single or multi speed. I will be shopping at walmart since I'm on a budget. I would really appreciate your input on style I should get. Also, I need something that would support my current weight. And really, does biking help in weight loss? If not, I would rather spend my money on something that would help me lose weight and get fit.
MyLilSweetPeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Do you know of any local bike shops (LBS) in your area? Some of them might be selling used bikes and the benefit you get is that you develop a relationship with the people in the bike shop (who will help you fit the bike for your legs and arms and flexibility) and because the bikes are used (if they sell them) you won't be spending brand new dollars on something high end.

The reason I suggest this, rather than just saying what kind of bike you should get, is because if the bike doesn't fit you right, Walmart is not going to care. And you might realize that the bike hurts your legs or your back and then you'll stop riding it. And even if you only spent $100 on it, you'll never ride it again and it'll just get rusty in your garage or shed or where ever you put it....

A bike store will help you make sure it fits, so it doesn't hurt your back or your hands or your feet. They may recommend things that you can't afford right now, but you can tell them that. The nicer shops will develop a relationship with you, so that if something you need goes on sale, they'll call you up or they might offer a layaway plan.

Back to the bike itself... I like multispeed because if you're going up and down hills, those gears are going to come in handy (the easier gear to go up the hills, the harder gear to go down hills -- you go faster!) and you can work your way up the gears (usually 3 in cruiser bikes) as you get better at it.

Secondly, have you taken a look at the cyclists out there? This weekend, the Olympics had the road race for men and women (Saturday and Sunday) and those men and women are skinny!!!! Strong, obviously, because they have to pedal their little legs off, but definitely skinny.

Yes, cycling burns off calories, more so than walking and I believe, even running.

I cycle and I do it because it's easier on my knees than running. I can burn 500-600 calories an hour and it feels like nothing.... because I love being on the bike! The sensation of moving fast, the wind in my face, being outdoors, and feeling like I'm part of something bigger.

When I'm in a car, I feel encapsulated, in my own little world. I like feeling like I'm part of a bigger thing and I can do that on the bike. I say hello to other cyclists and joggers on the road, I can hear the insects and birds, smell nature, all that stuff.

It's good for your body and it's good for the soul, in my opinion.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLilSweetPeas View Post
I have been looking at cruiser bikes and I really want to get one to give me a little more variety in the exercise dept. I'm not sure if I should get a single or multi speed. I will be shopping at walmart since I'm on a budget. I would really appreciate your input on style I should get. Also, I need something that would support my current weight. And really, does biking help in weight loss? If not, I would rather spend my money on something that would help me lose weight and get fit.
My two cents..

If you are wanting a bike for fitness and weight loss, I would not get a cruiser bike.
I would get a comfort commuter bike with multi-speed, etc or something along those lines so you can put some miles on it.
Beach cruisers, etc are going to be slow and aren't built for miles, and if you want to lose weight you are going to need to put miles on the bike

I think cycling is the best thing you can do to lose weight. Less impact than running and you will burn a TON of calories. At my weight, I can burn 650 calories in hour, at 12 miles an hour. That is a lot of calories to burn and I feel really good after my ride... I could not run for an hour in my current shape!

Also, bike stores will let you test ride different bikes in the parking lot, etc so you can get a feel for what suits you.
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #4  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

I agree with the other two: going to a real bike shop and chatting with the people who work there will be the way to go. You definitely won't be able to do much with a cruiser for exercise.

I'd look into finding a good used hybrid bike: one that's durable enough for riding around town and doing errands on, and light enough to take out for longer rides. I have a Specialized Sirrus and I love it. A little more expensive, but well worth it over the long run.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote