Old 07-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/168/130

Height: 5' 4''

Default Discouraging Weigh-ins

I have been on program since June 6th and have lost weight nearly every week at my weigh in but I am struggling because when I weigh myself in the morning of my weigh-in, (I know you shouldn't do, but old habits die hard) I see a considerable difference in weight than when I go in for the "official" weigh in. Like this morning for example, I was 214 and I now by the time 3:00 rolls around I'll be somewhere between 216-217 which is where I was last week! So, I'm a bit discouraged. I am religiously staying on program, only drinking water, HNS's and eating no later than 5:30 every night as well as walking 5x a week... I just want to see results on a continuous basis.... And, I want my money that I pay all too often to MRC to be put to good use!

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.
tjhenry07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 234.5/158/165

I try to weigh in in the mornings, whenever possible... my center is open on Saturdays, which is nice... I also try to weight in the same clothes every time - this may be TMI, but I have a few bras that, with the padding and such, weigh more!

I do weigh more in the afternoon, but it's okay. Remember your OVERALL weight loss and try not to focus on the 1-4 pound differences in your daily weight - everyone does that.

Try to re-focus on the losses overall and hang in there!
rachels77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 267/193/175

I think it's totally normal to weight different in the morning and more in the afternoon. My center has said to come at the same time and in similar clothing, that way it's comparing the "same". I know my scale at home is 2 pounds off from the center you might want to look into that as well. In the 10 weeks I have been on the program I have had 2 weeks with very little weight loss. Keep up the hard work
btrinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

It is true you will weigh less first thing in the morning, by afternoon not only are you wearing clothes but you have probably eaten at least one meal and drank water or other liquids. That will always show on the scale.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 192.5/163.4/160

Height: 5'8"

Stop doing that! Everybody weighs more later in the day with clothes and water weight. I always, always weigh 2 pounds more at the center. I go in the morning and wear the same thing to try to keep it as consistent as possible. For awhile I recorded my home weight every day but I went up and down so much it made me crazy.
camaswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #6  

Everyone should be very careful . . . dieting can become a mental game! And Lord knows, we don't need that when we are trying to lose weight. We've talked about this on another thread, but I will bring it up again because I became bulimic while dieting 35 years ago. The scale can be a tool of the devil and we depend too much on what it says for our happiness. It's best to take dieting slow (if it comes off quick, it goes back on quick!) and maybe only weigh once a week at most. I don't care what your MRC consultants say! Take into consideration how you feel, if you are losing inches, and how your clothes fit too. This program should produce a lifestyle change, not instant results that last for life. So each of us has to learn how to eat healthy and take the small changes up or down on the scale. If you get too upset about it, it almost makes dieting unbearable!
jlpnebraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #7  

Nebraska, you are so right! I can totally see how someone could become bulimic while dieting. And for the record MY consultant does say to stay off the scales at home during the weight loss phase. Part of the problem is that they do promise 30 pounds in 10 weeks, even using the word "guarantee.". And some of them can make clients feel like failures if they aren't losing fast. That can perpetuate this crazy-making stuff. It's not healthy. I try to stay above it mentally, and then I will have a slight gain and then sink into crazy and have to pull myself up again. I KNOW BETTER THAN TO DO THIS TO MYSELF.

I am doing fine. I am making good choices, I am learning a new way of eating that will help me stay slim for the rest of my life. When I fall off, I just get back up. This is for life. Read and repeat.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 235/168/130

Height: 5' 4''

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I haven't lost hope completely! I need to work hard at not obsessing over losing (or gaining) during the week before my weigh ins... Sadly, I can't make my weigh ins on a different day because my center is so small that it is only open one day a week. But, I am working hard to make that not an issue by just staying on program and being consistent with my weigh in variables.
tjhenry07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

There's NOTHING wrong with daily weighing if you have the right attitude. A recent statistical review of multiple weight loss studies, found that more frequent weighers lost and kept off the most weight (daily weighers lost more than weekly weighers, who lost more than monthly weighers).

So the adage that "weighing daily will discourage you and will interfere with your weight loss," appears to be a myth.

That being said, if you're going to weigh daily, you have to change your mindset. You can't expect a loss every day, and you can't expect to never see a gain, and you can't compare today's weight with yesterday's (or maybe even last week's).

I weigh multiple times a day, and I'm less discouraged and more encouraged than ever, but for that to happen I had to change my expectations of the scale. I had to stop seeing gains and non-losses as punishment, and to some degree had to stop seeing losses as "rewards" or that either gains or losses had anything to do with whether or not I was "being good." I actually had to take the values judgements out of the whole processes.

My goal every day isn't to be lower than the day before (that would drive me to do stupid things like only eat lightweight a quickly digesting food to minimize the food's weight and the weight appearing on the scale. That would make peanut butter cups a better choice than cauliflower and other bulky foods that can take a few days to digest).

I usually weigh twice a day. Early morning and bedtime. The only reason I weigh at bedtime is I get a kick out of my morning weight being lower than the night weight. I get to "see" a loss every day, even if I know it's not a "real" one.

That's really a stupid, but harmless reason.

Another time I weigh is when I eat an off-plan bite. In the past I wouldn't want to see the damage I might have done BUT I would often decide that I had "blown it" and would decide continue to eat off-plan all day with the intention of "starting fresh" the next morning (or if it was Thursday or later - then I'd start fresh Monday).

Weighing in order to see the "worst case scenario" (usually to see that I hadn't done the damage I thought I did, and even if I did, it provided the starting over point, not the post-binge starting over day).

I also had to change my goal from seeing a loss every day to "not gaining." I forced myself to celebrate the "not gaining." And when I did see a gain, I compared my weight to my weight four weeks ago. I never compare one day's weight to another, because dieting isn't linear. Weight fluctuates not only throughout the day, but throughout the week, and throughout the month.

I gain up to 10 lbs of water weight during TOM, even if I'm doing everything right. So I have to compare TOM week weights to last month's TOM week and sometimes even further back, because I lose slowly.

You can't expect a loss every time you step on the scale, or you ARE going to drive yourself batty (even if you do weigh only once a week or once a month, sometimes you may not see a loss, and the less often you weigh, the more traumatized you'll be by a non-loss if you expect to see it).

No matter HOW OFTEN you weigh, you have to use the scale as a tool, not as a self-torturing device.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #10  

tjhenry07..
I weigh in the morning.. I can weigh myself in afternoon, and I am up 2-3 pounds.. I would try to get a morning appt.if you can, and I know the centers are open on Saturday. I also wear the same outfit when I weigh in.

Has anyone tried the Veggie Fruit Mix? May I ask what you do with it, or how you use it and what does it taste like if it is possible to describe. For some reason, I never bought it and I have been doing this for two years.

Wishing everyone a great weigh in.

Patzi
patzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 261/199/160

Height: 5ft 1"

I use the Fruit and Veggie Mix and just mix it with a glass of water and chug. LOL.. It tastes a little gritty but otherwise palatable. I get the pink container. The green one has mint in it and I can't stand mint.
anjy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #12  

Kaplods, you are right that no matter how often you do or don't weigh, the scales will indeed become a torture device if your head isn't in the right place. As I approach maintenance, I work on this a lot.

tjhhenry (the person who posted her frustration) however, is just starting the MRC program. There have been so many posts on MRC threads by people who feel like giving up this very strict program when the scales aren't moving, but when they stay on anyway, the scales do start moving again eventually. At the beginning it's really hard to stick with, so the more we use today's number on the scales as our motivator and reward, especially at the beginning, the more vulnerable we are to giving up when we hit a plateau. Everyone is clearly different in this regard.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #13  

Patzi - I use the Fruit n Veggie in my smoothies - it is awesome. But, my taste buds do not like sweet as much as tart now. So, I like it with the grapefruit or lemon HNS, mixed with Greek Yogurt and some frozen fruit. Makes a great quick lunch.
JodiH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:11 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 248/232/160

Height: 5'4"

I started ont 7/18 and in my two weeks, I have almost checked my weight everyday. I weigh myself in the morning before I eat breakfast. I focus on seeing the difference. I had a few days of no change and it just encouraged me to stick with the plan more and make sure I am getting my proper food and water. 8lbs down in two weeks and I'm excited. Eating healthy is definately paying off.

P.S. I even cheated one night and had pizza because I was craving it, but I still took my mrc-6, cortitrim and all day weight loss which I think helped.

Last edited by katie039008; 08-04-2012 at 01:13 AM.
katie039008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 185.5/175/142

Height: 5'6

I just started MRC. I weigh myself at home every morning. I love to jump on the scale and see it moving. But you have to realize that weight, water...fluctuates everyday...and at different times, So dont get discouraged//if it bothers you...only do it once a week!
cmarty is offline   Reply With Quote