Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Height: 5'0"

Default Cycling!

I didn't see a thread for biking riding! Forgive me if there is already one but I thought it would be neat to log our miles here.

Anyone wanna join in?

EDIT: Apparently I can't spell Cycling... can anyone fix the title? lol

Last edited by FunSize; 07-25-2012 at 01:30 PM.
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233/201.8/150

Height: 5'4"

I will join in, I don't ride my bike that often usually once or twice a week right now when my husband is home. We rode on saturday and went 18 miles, I know that probably doesnt sound like alot but we just started. I will be on vacation till the 4th so I won't be riding for a while but I will keep up with this thread.
stlrsgrl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrsgrl43 View Post
I will join in, I don't ride my bike that often usually once or twice a week right now when my husband is home. We rode on saturday and went 18 miles, I know that probably doesnt sound like alot but we just started. I will be on vacation till the 4th so I won't be riding for a while but I will keep up with this thread.
18 miles is amazing! I just started cycling myself and the most I've done is 10. I am not sure how often I will be able to ride but it would be great if I could go for an hour everyday while hubby baby sits and then maybe on the weekend I can work myself up to 20 mile rides
Old 07-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #4  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

I'm a cyclist! As of a few weeks ago I have a roadbike and I get out for anywhere between 10 and 40miles. Did 25miles in a few days ago and 18 miles this afternoon.

I plan on doing a 100k (62miles) ride this weekend if the weather permits. I turn 27 sunday and I started exercise for the first time in my life exactly a year ago, I wanna celebrate by doing something awesome. lol

Do you ladies have a roadbike or a regular bike? I'm from the Netherlands so I cycle to work and everywhere else on my normal bike, I don't count those trips as cycling really.. to me as a Dutchie they are just.. commuting. LOL. I sometimes arrive at work and will be like "oh, I'm here..? how did I get here?"as I've done those 6 miles so OFTEN!

Last edited by philana; 07-25-2012 at 06:35 PM.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:50 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by philana View Post
I'm a cyclist! As of a few weeks ago I have a roadbike and I get out for anywhere between 10 and 40miles. Did 25miles in a few days ago and 18 miles this afternoon.

I plan on doing a 100k (62miles) ride this weekend if the weather permits. I turn 27 sunday and I started exercise for the first time in my life exactly a year ago, I wanna celebrate by doing something awesome. lol

Do you ladies have a roadbike or a regular bike? I'm from the Netherlands so I cycle to work and everywhere else on my normal bike, I don't count those trips as cycling really.. to me as a Dutchie they are just.. commuting. LOL. I sometimes arrive at work and will be like "oh, I'm here..? how did I get here?"as I've done those 6 miles so OFTEN!
Hi Philana!
I have a hybird.. it's not quite a roadbike but not quite a mountain :-) I live out in the Arizona desert and there are a lot of gravel paths and off roading type stuff around my house that I wanted to be able to go on in addition to road.
Eventually I can totally see myself getting a bike that's just for road though!

I can't wait to work myself up to 100k rides! Although, I think I'd need to upgrade my bike first. I am totally excited about getting into it more. I have to admit, I love to ride way more than running so I see myself sticking to this for the long haul

Last edited by FunSize; 07-26-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #6  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

Fun: sounds like the perfect bike for your livingconditions! The Netherlands is cycling-country no.1 so there's perfect cyclinglanes that go on and on here. I don't need to cross any rough terrain thankfully. I'm a bit of a whimp so that would be scary. Nice bike!

It took me a bunch of weeks to get allt he right gear and figure out what I need for a good ride, but now I am slowly learning. Adn more comfortable on the bike every day. I can keep cycling when I go around a corner now, yay. LOL. Oh, and I think I have the click pedals figured out. I wish I would fall already though. Knowing you can fall and won't die is kinda important for your confidence on the bike I think, and I've not fallen off anything in about 10 years.

Do you watch cycling? I just watched my first Tour the France and LOVED it. It's like I get it more now that I cycle myself.

Anyhow. Me rambling. It's just so awesome. And It oo like it way more than running. I need to keep up on the running though since I signed up for a few long runs in september. But this is so much more fun!
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #7  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

I'm in! Hello all - I finally got a bike last Saturday to help in between my runs/lifting etc. Made it out last night after my lift session about 8 miles in 45 minutes - nothing too strenuous but it felt good!

I have a hybrid style too - Trek 7.1FX - I LOOOOOOOVE it!!
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm3898 View Post
I'm in! Hello all - I finally got a bike last Saturday to help in between my runs/lifting etc. Made it out last night after my lift session about 8 miles in 45 minutes - nothing too strenuous but it felt good!

I have a hybrid style too - Trek 7.1FX - I LOOOOOOOVE it!!
Hi and Welcome! 8 miles is great! I love how I feel after a ride. Sounds like cycling is a great addition to your running & lifting! It's nice to add some variety, isn't it?
Old 07-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by philana View Post
Fun: sounds like the perfect bike for your livingconditions! The Netherlands is cycling-country no.1 so there's perfect cyclinglanes that go on and on here. I don't need to cross any rough terrain thankfully. I'm a bit of a whimp so that would be scary. Nice bike!

It took me a bunch of weeks to get allt he right gear and figure out what I need for a good ride, but now I am slowly learning. Adn more comfortable on the bike every day. I can keep cycling when I go around a corner now, yay. LOL. Oh, and I think I have the click pedals figured out. I wish I would fall already though. Knowing you can fall and won't die is kinda important for your confidence on the bike I think, and I've not fallen off anything in about 10 years.

Do you watch cycling? I just watched my first Tour the France and LOVED it. It's like I get it more now that I cycle myself.

Anyhow. Me rambling. It's just so awesome. And It oo like it way more than running. I need to keep up on the running though since I signed up for a few long runs in september. But this is so much more fun!
Oh I am jelous of your roads
You know what would be neat? If everyone took pictures while on their rides so we can see the different terrain!

I have started to look up cycling videos on youtube! Expecially for tips and what not
Old 07-27-2012, 12:31 AM   #10  

10.6 miles in 55 minutes, averaged 11 miles per hour. Now.. that might seem really slow but as I was explaining to my husband half of the journey I was "off roading" in a few off beaten paths.. lots of mud hills, rocky trails, etc. But when I was on the road I was probably averaging closer to 15 mph.
I guess I shouldn't pay much attention to my speed when I do a lot of off road cycling :-)
Either way that was officially my longest ride yet, lol. Man this is so addicting.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I love to cycle.

I did a quick ride by myself this morning, 16 miles, in about 53 minutes (that was an average rate of 14.8 mph with wind).

I was proud of myself for having changed one of my tires by myself. Woohoo! I got a flat (never found what caused it) and while I had seen other people change tires before, I had never done it myself. It took me 13 minutes from start to finish.... which is slow, for changing a tire, since I've seen some of these guys change them in like 5 minutes flat, but for my first time, I'll take it.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 142/140/120

Height: 5'4"

Smile Love my bike!

Thank you for starting this thread! I love cycling; I have a mountain bike. I had to get a stationary cycle after I was hit by a car (while in the bike lane) in 1974. It is not the same... I was SO afraid to ride on the road! I would literally tear up, when I saw people cycling, alone or in groups, because I used to ride 20 miles, every day, and used my bike for primary transportation for several years.

In 2009, a young friend lost his wolf/dog mix, and asked me to help in the search. He didn't know I couldn't ride, and just tossed his bike towards me, as he jumped on his uncle's bike, and took off, calling over his shoulder which area he would be covering. I couldn't let him down, it is a small town, early Saturday morning, and I decided, for the first time, I might be safe.

Such freedom! Such joy! this boy still cannot understand the gift he gave me, that day, leaving me to honor his friendship by overcoming my fears.

I live in Saskatchewan, where our cycling time is limited, and its been a year since I was injured (another car vs. human wreck). I was cleared to ride again only recently, and have been looking for an inspiration. Thank you, so much for providing me with just the push I need!

It is late in the season, late in the month, but count me in!
sandramac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:14 PM   #13  

Welcome Rana & Sandramac!

Rana~ Congrats on the great ride & the tire change! That is still something I need to learn how to do Bravo!! Can't wait to hear your updates :-) You sure have motivated me to go farther than what I have done so far!

Sandramac~ So so sorry to hear about your incidents with cars It's a frightening reality check to realize it's a risk we have to take when we share the road with cars ;( I keep telling myself though, most things I love to do have risks.. I also go horse back riding when it's not so hot here in the desert and that has plenty of risks as well! I am so happy you are back riding. Can't wait to hear from you again!
Old 07-29-2012, 11:18 PM   #14  

Well my party got rained on! Literally!
I was hoping for a long ride.. (at least over 10 miles) tonight. The storm seemed to clear up for a bit so as soon as I got home I was out the door. Well.. 20 minutes into my ride I got freaked out by all the lighting so close. Then it started pouring. So I booked it home and only did 5 miles. It's better than nothing! My jaw is super sore though from being stressed about the lightning. I guess I was clenching my jaw? Anyone have that happen when they exercise?

Also, I am happy because I finally have a helmet! I am picking up things I need little by little. I'd eventually love to get a computer on my bike to tell me my speed & stuff.

Okay, that's all for tonight

P.S- Anyone use mapmyride.com? I love it because I can map my ride exactly how I ride it and I will know the exact miles. They have the app for your smart phone, too!

Last edited by FunSize; 07-29-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #15  

My farthest yet.. lovely 12 mile ride in 63 mins. I did some interval training (pedaling really fast between landmarks, then easy pedaling, etc). I felt really good after my ride. Before I would fall down as soon as I got in the house from exhaustion!