Old 05-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #1  
~Never Quit~

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'7"

Talking Fitness Vidoes for the WEAK and/or OLD!

I'm a 50 year-old gal and have been generally sedentary for quite a few years partly do to health issues and weight but mostly due to giving up on myself. However, once upon a time I loved working out and what it did for me mentally and physically so I'm retrying.

I have started a walking program (WATP and/or walking trail) but I also want to get in some other type exercise. Mind you, I don't want exercises that require weights or special equipment, at least not yet.

So... I'm on a mission to find videos for beginners and/or old farts like me.

If anyone has suggestions, please share!

On oprah.com I found Joel Harper's Arm Workout. Search for it, it's free and it's killer! It's a must try!

I just ordered Joel Harper's Firming After 50, used, from Amazon. There's a demo of it on YouTube if you're interested.

I'm not working for Mr. Harper ... it's just all I've found so far.

Last edited by EatMoreCelery; 05-21-2012 at 10:39 AM.
EatMoreCelery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Richards Simmons.

And remember that you can modify any workout. Are they doing jumping jacks in a workout? Fine, let them, you can do side kicks.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #3  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I love the WATP and used to have a Richards Simmons video working out to the oldies and enjoyed that. (Note to self, check Amazon to see if I can get that in DVD) I do want to give a warning though, I was in pretty good shape and wanted to ramp up my exercise. I got a WATP video that incorporated weights. A couple of weeks after starting that, my shoulder started hurting. I had a torn rotator cuff. I am not sure that it was caused by using the weights with the video but I recommend using caution with weights.

I have used a number of videos available on the Mayo Clinics site that have helped me. I can not find a page that lists just their exercise videos but go to
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/videos/VideoIndex and scroll down the page.

I have used videos of the stretching exercises and their fitness videos. Very helpful.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #4  
~Never Quit~

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'7"

Richard Simmons!! I had totally forgotten about that fuzzy haired, spandex wearing, oh so giddy, exercise guru! I think his videos would be fun to follow! Nice tip, girls!

Thanks for the Mayo Clinic links! Looks like there's something there for everyone.
EatMoreCelery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #5  

If you are really weak, there is a chair exercise for weight reduction in the "zookinesis" series. It is also great for toning and flexibility. It is taught in senior centers around the country. The great variety of exercises is what helps with weight reduction. The same series also has standing exercises that are reasonable for seniors or people just starting to exercise.
Cloudscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #6  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I'm loving the Namaste Yoga DVD's. It was a series on FitTV. Each episode is only 22 minutes, you can do it in your pj's, and all you need is a $10 yoga mat (or not, if you have wall to wall carpeting). I got mine on Amazon.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #7  

Leslie Sansone DVDs would be good for you as well.

Chrys Dayley
cdayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:28 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/159/169

Height: 5'6.5''

Check out collagevideo.com for previews of exercise DVDs of all level. I really like Ellen Barrett's workouts. I do her dvds on light days now but when I first started to exercise again, she was a real motivator.
singing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #9  
Hang in there!

S/C/G: 252/236/145

Height: 5'2

Jane Fonda has 4 new DVD's @ 56 I am enjoying them reminds of the 80's.
Dawny is offline   Reply With Quote