UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266/250/150

Height: 5'7

Default Losing weight too fast?

I know some people might not appreciate complaining about losing weight too fast but I'm starting too worry that it might be a health problem. I'm up late at night right now thinking tape worm and other stupid things ahaha. One of my biggest worries is loose skin. I don't care how long it takes to lose the weight I also want to look normal afterwards, it's recommended to lose 1-2lbs a week to prevent loose skin. Today I get on my wii and it says I've lost 7lbs in five days last week I lost 5lb so that's 12lb in under 2weeks, during this time I haven't been sticking to my diet either I've had pizza hut and a few cupcakes and I've not been to the gym, it's not the first time I've had a big drop either I lost 7lbs in a week at the start of june. I would have assumed it was water weight or something but I've lost inches... I couldn't zip up my prom dress last week tried it on tonight and bingo it fits nicer then the first time I wore it. Has anyone else experienced this? just to put my mind at ease.. around where I live, unless it's an emergency it can take up to two weeks to get a doctors appointment.
Madkitty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

Whenever you're worried about something concerning your health you should just see your doctor anyways.

With that being said, it is very possible to drop 12 pounds in 2 weeks without anything being wrong.

I would make the appointment and keep track of your food intake, exercise, and weight until you see him/her... If you continue to lose weight at the same rate, keep your appointment and show him/her your food/exercise/weight log. But if your weight loss slows and you feel fine you can probably just cancel your appointment.
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 288/288/175

Height: 174cm

First off, don't worry that people here will look at you askance for complaining you're losing too fast. Your circumstances are personal, and you're quite at liberty to be worried by them, whatever they are. No one's going to be annoyed about that.

You're certainly not the only person to worry about loose skin from losing too fast either. That's been a worry of mine since pretty early on. From the start of February to the start of July I lost four stone, and yes, there is loose skin. It's really not as horrific or as noticeable as you might think though, and in time it improves. Unless you lose weight very slowly, loose skin may just be something you have to deal with. Part of it's genetics, but if you're young and a non-smoker that should help too.

Losing water weight may involve losing inches too. That water physically existed in your body, and now it doesn't. It's also not going to be ALL water weight if you've been eating at a calorie deficit; you'll have lost some fat too. So I wouldn't worry too much on that one.

You say you're weighing on a wii - is that the only scales you have? They're not always that reliable, and if they're anything like normal scales then just putting them on a carpet could be throwing them out. Is there any chance you can get access to other scales, to compare to what your wii's saying? If you don't have any in your house, you could always weigh yourself with clothes and shoes on, then head to your nearest chemist and weigh again, to see if there's any discrepancy. Do that for a few days, and if the discrepancy's always the same, you can trust your wii, but if it's not, then you know it's wonky.

Finally, you say you've lost 12lbs in two weeks, and you lost 7lbs in a week in June. What about all the other weeks? I track my weight daily, and spend a lot of time looking at the numbers. Twice I've managed to shift five pounds in a week, but when I look at it in context it's less worrying, because I see that the subsequent five pounds tends to take about three weeks to shift - in other words, it evens out. What's the overall picture of your weight loss like?
Brid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:35 AM   #4  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Hi there mad kitty.
Let me just add my penny's worth!
If you are a massive binger ( like I was ) I have always found that in my first 2 weeks I lose a huge amount. I know I have alot of weight to lose much more than you but I lost a stone in my first 2 weeks ( I was exercising some but not a huge amount at that point)
You are also you by the sounds of it so hormonal influences will be at work with the whole water weight thing!
The others are right though, make an appt to see your doc or practice nurse if you are concerened even if your weight loss evens out.
Brid is right, being young ( not me alas!) and not smoking are the 2 biggest things in your favour!!
Good luck my lovely and fellow welshie!!
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:48 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

It doesn't sound like there's anything wrong at all. I've lost the "first 30 pounds" several times now, and always lose about the same as you. By the end of the month it usually balances out to about 20 pounds lost that month, and by the end of the first 6 weeks 30, and after that it usually comes off 10lbs/month.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 266/250/150

Height: 5'7

The other weeks I've usually lost about 2lb sometimes more sometimes less 32lb altogether since may. I've already checked the accuracy of my wii with 2 different scales at the gym and at a friends house so I'm sure it's correct. The big drops seem to happen when I'm expecting to gain not lose because I've been bad. so It confuses me.
Madkitty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 288/288/175

Height: 174cm

Is that since the start of May? If so, that's about twelve weeks, which averages out at less than three pounds a week. In other words: unlikely anything to worry about.

As for the reasons behind your big drops, who knows? Without seeing a detailed breakdown of everything you eat and everything you do it's impossible to say for sure. I'd imagine the bigger-than-usual drops include large amounts of water weight. Salt makes you hold onto water, so do carbs. Keeping hydrated helps flush water through. Drinking alcohol will make you dehydrated and can cause hefty drops overnight. Repairing muscle means retaining water. And there are countless other factors as well as these.

So your best bet if you really want to know what's going on with your body is to track everything, and weigh often, and after a few weeks go back and look at the data you've collected and see if any patterns present themselves. And if it'll make you feel better, then by all means make an appointment with your doctor too. Hopefully they'll be able to reassure you that everything's fine.
Brid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:12 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 208/162/140

Height: 5"3

Because of your higher weight and the fact youve just started your body is going to lose a lot in the first number of weeks before it plateaus and gets used to the lower number of calories.

You should always consult your doctor if you're starting a new lifestyle but anyway its normal to lose a lot at the start, give it a month and see if it slows down, but you need to be eating properly as a control or else your weight will not be reflect any issues you would have with the pacing if the pacing is messed up by sabotaging yourself. And dont be worrying about tape worms!
swissy is offline   Reply With Quote