Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default My Scale Lied To Me! Quelle horreur!

I am kind of upset. I shouldn't be. I know that it's a bit irrational, but I am.
I weighed in at the doc's office yesterday, and I was 184.5lbs! When I got home, I put the 25lb kettlebell on the scale, and sure enough - it weighed 3.5lbs under!
That means (I believe) that I began at 200lbs, which not the worst thing in the world, but just reminds me that I've got a long way to go, now that I recognize that my cheap scale was just trying to make me feel better about myself, all of that time. Has anyone else had an experience like this? Tell me I'm not the only person who got it wrong and was irrationally disappointed by the truth...
<wringing hands>
RVAscreenwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #2  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Oh gosh, Yes! I have been there. I was hanging at 202 for a longwhile staring down Onederland. Got a new scale and found out my old one was 10 pounds off! It took me like a month to get my motivation sorted b/c it felt like such a drastic setback. But you do get yourself sorted and you do go on to still lose weight, it's just a time to practice patience.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

The number on the scale may be different BUT the amount of pounds that you have lost is the same.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #4  

Thanks for your support, 4star and bargoo -- I know that the number that I lost is the same, but for some reason the ultimate goal being a little bit farther away is discouraging. I will keep on working at it, though. I dread my 90-degrees-outside jog this evening, but will do it just the same!
Old 07-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #5  

Height: 5' 8"

I understand the disappointment. You have to look at the positive though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
The number on the scale may be different BUT the amount of pounds that you have lost is the same.
EXACTLY!

Look how far you have come!!!
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #6  
"I AM..."

S/C/G: 295/285.7/150

Height: 5'9" - Reset 1-24-2014

Happened to me just yesterday morning. I have a dig. scale and it kept giving me different readings every time I stepped on it. I finally went and bough a good ol regular scale and guess what... the dig scale was 2 lbs lower. I know it does not seem like it should be that big of a deal but when you are trying to get under a certain number and then have to start getting under again it sucks! Hahahah oh well at least we know now and can start from here.

Good Luck,

JO
sept2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #7  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

I have to get a new scale, and I keep telling myself, get it now, just get it over with! I have a digital scale and I think it's good, but not as accurate as I want. I'd hate to have to re-lose anything at this point! Why can't the scale ever be off in the other direction and you find you're 4 pounds lighter or something?
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #8  
The 'x3' is a heart! :)

S/C/G: 250/low 200's/165

Height: 5'6

That stinks! I hate it when that happens! As other posters said, you still have lost the weight and you are still working on it. My doctor's scale is a crappy digital one that is always 7 pounds off (I've cross checked this with other patients I know). Ridiculous and always makes me feel like crap!
mirax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #9  

I was thinking of adding measuring tape to my weigh-ins. I mean, as I put weights, kettlebells and jogging back into my routine, I'll see some muscle gain. It might help to see what the measuring tape says... <shrug>

Last edited by RVAscreenwriter; 07-18-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: wrong emoticon code
Old 07-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #10  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

That does suck when that happens. I highly recommend using a piece of clothing or measuring two to track occasional progress as well. When my scale isn't moving, I usually find I have lost inches and any feelings of discouragement are greatly lessened
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #11  
Going, going, gone

S/C/G: 295/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Your post made me want to go see if my scale is off, so I weighed myself then held a 10-lb dumbbell, and it said I gained 30 lbs! What?!

It sure is disappointing when the scale is inaccurate. I'm sorry to hear you'll have a little further to go, but now you know for sure how much you weigh.
asharksrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #12  

Height: 5'1

Wow, that is very annoying! And just to check mine was right, I put a weight down and it was spot on 5lbs!

I would definitely suggest the measuring tape. I do measurements once a month and while I still have around two weeks before an official measurements, I had a look the other day and had lost inches everywhere. Apart from the boobage...Still won't give in. I was 138lbs last week and I think I'll be the same tomorrow, scale doesn't want to move but we will see. So I might be losing weight very slowly, but the inches seem to be coming off!

Last edited by Dreamer2012; 07-18-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Dreamer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote