Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 237/177/175

Height: 5'7

Default Eating well = bloated?

Hi, 3FCers. I'm having an issue-- About a month ago, I started making changes in my diet. I started eating a salad here and there, controlling my portions more. I've started getting a lot my food at farmer's markets and over the last few weeks, I've noticed my diet has changed pretty drastically (I record everything I make/eat-- to look at calories and nutrients as well as to address emotional eating). Once I'd started eating better, it just happened that my taste for most junk food went away. So, again, there was just a natural shift in my diet to fruits, vegetables, lean protein, and whole grains. It's tasty and, frankly, fun to find ways to cook all this great food. BUT. A few days ago I became bloated to the point of uncomfortable, and it has yet to go away. At first, I thought maybe it was just...I don't know some bad food, but it's become apparent that it is likely something to do with my changed diet.

I've read that sudden increases in fiber can result in bloating, but I more or less eased into this diet, though there has been a definite and clear shift. But it's not like it changed one day to the next.

Going through my food journal, I think I've pinpointed it to an uptick in me eating either/both granola and cream of wheat. Does anyone have any experience with reactions to oats/whole grains? They're supposed to be good for me!

I haven't had either of these possible problems foods yesterday or today and am avoiding for the forseeable future. Hoping the bloating subsides. I'll likely talk to my doctor about this, but just had an appointment with him so thinking I'll wait for the next appointment (next month or so). Any advice from you guys is appreciated.

Thanks for your help!
scout83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 287/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

If you are increasing your fiber, you need to significantly increase your water intake. Increased fiber can result in bloating if it isn't accompanied by water. I know it can feel counter-intuitive to drink a lot of water when you are feeling bloated, but it really is the best solution to feeling bloated. I aim to drink half of my body weight in ounces of water.
Texas Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #3  

Texas Yankee, thanks for the advice, I will increase a bit. I already drink about 80 oz. of water a day + a cup of chamomile + every few days 8 oz. of cranberry juice. (And a cup or two of coffee in the am.) I don't know if I'm up for half my body weight in water, but I will definitely look to drink more.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #4  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

I just spoke to my nutritionist about this - I have ulcerative colitis and was getting the bloated feelings from fiber one cereal which I had assumed was good for me but she said it's a no-no if you have any sort of IBS - esp. b/c they add the fiber & you don't need the additional amount. So just an FYI - switching out the cereals really helped me. So I would ck the fiber count in your foods.
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #5  

Hm...there is some IBS in my family. I'm still crazy bloated and uncomfortable; if the situation doesn't improve quickly, I'm going to move up my doctor's appointment. Cutting out whole grains for now, which IS a huge source of fiber. Ugh, just need some relief, I'm so uncomfortable!
Old 07-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #6  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

You might be sensitive to wheat/grain.

I get bloated when I eat grains. It became a lot more obvious to me when I cleaned up the rest of my diet.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #7  

Yeah, my gut (pun intended) is telling me it's the grains.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 184/173.9/145

Height: 5'2"

I don't know much or have much experience in this... but I know my older sister gets bloated from too much milk/dairy. Something else to look at?
ELBS717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #9  

Yeah, I'm sensitive to dairy (have been my whole life) so I don't eat much to begin with (though, I love cheese. I just eat it sparingly).

I wish this feeling would go away, but it seems like there's nothing to do right now but wait it out, while steering clear of those oats and barley (those are the grains I'd been eating). I didn't feel well enough to drink even a little bit of coffee this morning-- to me, that is a signal that I'm really not well. Sigh.

Thanks for you help, all.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #10  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Do you think that you are getting enough healthy fat? I have found that I can really tell a difference when I go too low on fat.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #11  

That is a great question. I'll need to sit down and look at that. Off the top of my head, I know my fat intake has decreased dramatically, but I cook with olive oil, make salad dressing with olive oil, eat eggs (full eggs not egg whites) every couple days, chicken every couple days, and sometimes snack on walnuts and almonds. I'd hope that'd cut it, but I'm going to look at that.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I get that way from too many vegetables. I swear I looked 4 months pregant for about a week before things settled down.
I have since cut back on veggies, just 2 servings a day.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #13  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
Do you think that you are getting enough healthy fat? I have found that I can really tell a difference when I go too low on fat.
This too!! (TMI) I get very constipated when I don't eat enough fat.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #14  

Not to get too TMI, but are you still having bowel movements like you did before? You may want to either have some prunes or take a laxative to see if that helps move things along. I also agree that you might need to up your water intake a little bit for the next few days.

One other question. Are you having pains on your upper right side as well as the cramping? That could be your gallbladder if so. My sister had a gallbladder attack and the doctor told her she was just constipated. She kept having the attacks and had to have surgery to have her gallbladder removed. We found out that weight loss, especially if you've ever yo-yo'd, and changes in eating habits can cause problems.
CurvyNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #15  

No fear of TMI here. Still having bowel movements; not constipated. No pain on my upper right side-- I really hope this is nothing more serious than the diet change but with how long this is lasting, who knows. Drinking lots of water and waiting at this point. I think what bothers me about this is that I've approached this weight loss in what I think has been a really sensible way. No crash diet, no sudden changes, not being obsessed with the scale. Just shifting my diet to include more fruit, vegetables, lean protein, and whole grain. Walking away from fast food. And this is how my body repays me. I feel a bit betrayed!