Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default How Do You Like To Mix Exercise Up For Weight Loss?

There are a lot of conflicting and/or inconsistent ideas out there about exercise for weight loss. I don't really care about the theories, though. How do you mix it up in your own life? What's working for you?
My routine (so far):
  • Jog-walking intervals (2.25 miles x 5/week)
  • Arm dumbbell exercises (10m x 3/week)
  • Leg bodyweight & dumbbell exercises (10m x 3/week)
I'm planning on graduating to kettlebell workouts instead of dumbbell exercises in maybe a couple of weeks.
RVAscreenwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #2  

Height: 5'1

My routine at the moment is a 2 mile walk and between 20 - 40 minute weight sessions. My aim is to exercise 6 of out 7 days. I like to give myself one day off a week as a rest. I usually plan which day, based on my plans for the week. It is usually a weekend day also.

I have a plan for each month. I will increase my routine as the months go on. Starting in August my walk will be 3.2 miles, September it will be 4.1 miles and so on. I would love to introduce step aerobics also. I think it would be an exercise you could do while watching something on the television. It would also be handy to do this for days I don't get to go out walking due to it being miserable out which is common where I live all year round.

It is working for me, so far. I think since I introduced the weights at the start of the month, it's working better for me.
Dreamer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #3  

Height: 5'6"

That sounds like a good plan, Dreamer2012. The last time that I worked really hard to get in shape, I did cardio with running and weights. It worked! That time, I lost about 25lbs and kept it off. I kept it off until I got too stressed out with finishing my degree, and gained 50lbs. SIGH.
They say that regular walking does just as much for you as running. Keep it up!
RVAscreenwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #4  

My exercise routines are playing lawn tennis 5x/week, 2-3 miles jogging 2x/week. I don't do weights instead I go to MMA gym to punch and kick.
virgiea68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Lately I have been getting up at 5am biking for 30 mins... 3x/week I do a power weight class... I run or walk 3/week... My routine varies with the weather/seasons but I always do something daily...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #6  

Height: 5'9"

I work out about 4 to 6 times a week, based on how sore and how tired I am.
My workouts are pretty intense. I have been doing a circuit training program about three times a week. In between the circuit days I do abs and cardio. Sometimes I do light cardio on circuit days. On the abs days, I do high intensity interval training on a variety of machines. I use the treadmill, the stairstepper, the bike and the elliptical, although not as much because it makes my feet go numb.
Circuit consists of 3 sets of:
Squats
preacher curls with an ez bar
bent over rows
lunges or bench step ups
chest presses or bench
upright rows
skullcrushers
deadlifts
cross-bench pullovers or lat pulldowns
some standing cross over arm thing I can't remember the name of.....

My routine changed a bit out of boredom. I was doing a split routine with different parts on different days with cardio in between. I also have to be careful with shoulder moves because I have an injury, so this is a bit modified. Otherwise, there would have been more shoulder overhead stuff.
I think the exercise has helped me realize how hard it is to "work off" food. Very vigorous activity might only earn you a few hundred calories, and while nobody can know for sure how many you burned, it's just easier not to eat a bunch of crap. Especially when you start to see little muscles poking out! I would also like to add swimming, but my gym doesn't have a pool or offer classes, or I would likely do those, too.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #7  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

I changed my routine about 3 months ago. I had quit smoking two weeks prior & I really wanted to increase my workouts so I wouldn't be as tempted to smoke/wouldn't gain weight.

I added running - I starting with jogging/walking app. 3 miles 3x/wk - now I'm running 4 - 8 miles 3x/week prepping for a half marathon.

A month ago I added heavy weight training 2x/week [mostly using my own body weight or 15+ dumb bells/kettlebells] and the results have been awesome. I'm down another dress size and seeing great tone in my arms/legs [hoping my stomach follows lol]. In between I also do a one hour of heavy bag kick boxing class 1x/week. So total I'm working about hard running - lifting - boxing 1 hour/6days/wk.

I have to say I started weight training a month ago - and saw my nutritionist that day and yesterday & in the past month I lost two lbs of FAT, not weight, FAT, which I'm thrilled with so definitely going to keep up the weight training. It includes squats, lunges, & pushups on a bosu ball, lots of planks for abs, pushups, dips, walk outs, bicycle crunches, scissor crunches, & dead lifts.
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote