Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #1  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Woa! Really? Will it hit me later?

Wow, I over did it yesterday. I planned it, intended to do it, and enjoyed it. I went to visit my mom and ate some cookies that she baked (kept track of how many so I could record it) and then we went for a pizza dinner where I ended up eating a surprising two slices. Plus I had a pint of beer!

While I never hit my minimum calories for the day, I also didn't burn my minimum calories for the day. I still held a surplus of about 300 calories (I use Bodybugg, so I can see deficit/surplus calories).

This morning, I thought I'd weigh 2-4 pounds more, which usually happens after a wild eating day. Not today, though. I weighed the exact same as I did yesterday!

I'm wondering if it will hit me a couple of days later, and I'm posting to see if anyone has some experience with seeing delayed gains. And I realize it won't be a real gain, but a water gain, most likely. I haven't actually seen that kind of pattern myself. Usually, since I see gains right away, I don't watch for any residual after affect.

Of course instead of just being happy about not gaining, I'm fretting over the possibility of something showing up later! (Seriously, not much, but the thought crossed my mind) Losing weight can be frustrating! LOL!

Last edited by twinieten; 07-15-2012 at 10:59 AM.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 149/149/120

Height: 5'2"

For me thats how the weight started to sneak up. I would indulge- not see any change on the scale the next day and think- hmmm, I can keep doing that. I know you won't but I did, and pizza and beer are faves of mine- but to think I won't pay for it, paid off in about 10 pounds eventually.

Glad you did not see any negative changes though. Good luck.
Redredbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #3  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I have had it happen where the very next day I'm the same, then the 2nd or 3rd day I go up. But sometimes that happens anyway. So who knows!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #4  
I want to feel better

S/C/G: 291.2/???/healthier

Height: 5 foot 3.5 inches

This has happened to me a few times in the past. I will have been eating healthier and indulge, and not see it on the scale. In fact, I remember that I was at my lowest weight in my adult life and I ate really healthy. Then I met my future husband and started eating cheesecake and Mt. Dew like him. My weight didn't go up for a few weeks, even and when it did, it was hard to go back to my healthy lifestyle.
Morale of the story, for me, anyway, is that 1 day of indulgence is probably okay, and it may or may not show up. But don't let it not showing up be an excuse to indulge all the time, because it will show up, eventually.
MablesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinieten View Post
I'm posting to see if anyone has some experience with seeing delayed gains.
Yes, this sometimes happens to me -- not sure why. I'll indulge, my weight will stay the same the next day, and the day after that it's mysteriously up. Prepare for the possibility but hope for the best!

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 232/217/145

Height: 5'6"

It could show up later or it might not. Just work extra hard for a couple of days and burn more than the BB says you should. I love hearing stories from other bodybugg users. I don't know what I ever did before mine! Just wish they were water proof!
chickadee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 133/125/110

Height: 5'6''

This may not neccesarily be a bad thing. I think it's good to have one meal once in awhile where you eat what you like. If you restrict your calories everyday your body adjusts and your leptin levels lower... Raising your calories will put your leptin levels back to normal and boost your metabolism. Alot of people have ''Cheat Days'' for this sole purpose... Google it
But I prefer to calorie cycle to keep my body guessing & keep my metabolism up.
babyshambles7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #8  
Laura

Location: The beautiful Pacific Northwest! Tacoma, Washington

S/C/G: 330/268/150

Height: 5'7"

Smile I've heard it can take 3 days

I have heard it takes up to 3 days to gain weight from food you indulge in. For me I think it is more like 2 days. I suspect we all digest at different rates. You know the saying "you are what you eat"? Well, I believe you are what you ate yesterday in terms of digestion, bowels, etc. I can tell if I've eaten badly the day before or if I didn't get enough water, veg, fiber, etc. A couple days without taking my vitamins and supplements, and I notice. But as for gaining weight, I usually see the results on the scale 2 days after the eating. My problem with that is I see no change on the scale the next morning and feel like it didn't hurt me to indulge. Sometimes by the time I gain I've already buckled down and gotten back on plan and I feel discouraged when those boomerang pounds bounce back at me. (If you go off plan on the weekend and get serious on Monday and hit the diet and gym extra hard only to see a pound or two increase on Tuesday, that sucks. It super sucks. But for me that's often how it goes.)

I hope you really didn't gain from your pizza and beer. If you truly don't gain that's awesome. But instead of looking at it as a free pass to do it often just look at it as a one-time get out of jail free card! We all deserve a splurge every now and then.
Chubbygirl253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #9  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the input so far! I know I usually don't react well to refined sugars and white flour, so I was shocked at the fact that I didn't gain. It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow, and the next day. Since tomorrow is my official weigh-day, I hope if it creeps up on me it waits until Tuesday when I have through the weekend to work it off. LOL!

Leptin, huh? Interesting.

Chickadee, before Bodybugg, I was tracking my calories and activity and getting nowhere! I was so frustrated! The first week with my Bugg resulted in loss! I don't know how I'd do without it either! Agreed on the water proof thing. I've had a couple of close calls!

I took it easy today. The nice thing about lazy Sundays is that my appetite is pretty low. I want to eat just to eat, but I don't feel particularly hungry. It's been very easy to take it easy on the food today which will, hopefully, kind of off set yesterday. I'll let ya'll know what happens in the next few days.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 257/257/157

Height: 5'7"

Yep, I've had it catch up to me later, more than once. Last week, I lost 2lbs after eating terribly for 5 days straight, then only being back on plan for 4 days. I was pretty excited that I managed to lose, though in the back of my mind I figured I'd pay for it later, and I did, at my weigh in this past Saturday. I was up a pound even though I'd been good all week!
Sometimes you can get away with it, but more often than not, it'll come back to haunt you at some point!
PinkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #11  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

The beer might pop up the day after. But 300 calories? Puh!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

It's metabolism. I call it the Thanksgiving Day Syndrome. I get on the scale the day after a feast and discover, "whew, that's not bad!" only to find those pounds a few days later!

But it doesn't sound like you overdid it at all. Don't stress!
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

Generally the weight you gain overnight is water weight, that's good you didn't gain, and honestly if you stayed fairly on track you shouldn't gain and if you do it's water weight
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
I have had it happen where the very next day I'm the same, then the 2nd or 3rd day I go up. But sometimes that happens anyway. So who knows!
Me, too.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote