Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Default Honest opinions wanted (clothes question)

So what do you think? Is it appropriate or not for a woman my age (55) to wear those bra-like sports tops when jogging outside? My husband says yes, my kids say no. Please be completely honest. I don't think my body looks bad in them as I have a pretty flat/firm belly, but would I look silly by virtue of being 55?

I'm having trouble being objective these days because I'm going through a bit of a midlife clothes crisis, buying and wearing stuff like fuchsia skinny jeans and high heels (for the first time since my 20s -- I'm 5'11"). Yeah, I've gone a little crazy after losing 55 pounds last year.

Freelance

Last edited by freelancemomma; 07-15-2012 at 08:55 AM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #2  

Default Wear what makes you feel comfortable!

Congratulations on your 55lb weight loss! At 5'11", I bet you look FABULOUS at your current weight! I say wear what you want to, and what you're comfortable in, as long as it's appropriate for the occasion. Wear the jogging bra when you're jogging or to the gym, but please not to the grocery store! Depending on how old your kids are (15yr old girls particularly!), you're going to embarass them no matter what you wear...just because they find everything their parents do is embarassing!

High heels are always in fashion...but not with a jog bra lol!

Last edited by 2annabelle; 07-15-2012 at 09:05 AM.
2annabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I am not sure what kind of a top you are talking about , but I say at your age and having lost what you have. Go for it ! Listen to your husband.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #4  
Stubborn.

S/C/G: 197/See ticker/135

Height: 5'6''

I think it's a matter of what you're most comfortable in...so long as you're not having major wardrobe malfunctions and flashing people your ta-tas, you're jogging, not sitting down to dinner with them; if they don't like what you're wearing you'll be gone in a flash anyway. I'm sure that me in a bikini is more likely to make people lose their lunches than you in a sports bra given your height and weight, and I've gone out in public in a two piece before.

If you think that it would be comfortable workout gear, get a nice cheap to mid-range one instead of a high-end one, try it out, and if you like wearing it, go back and get more. You've put a lot of work into yourself if you've managed to lose 55 lbs; you've clearly got it, so a little flaunting here and there isn't going to hurt anyone.
Hotaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #5  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I'd be more concerned about displaying 55-year old upper arms than belly. But I wouldn't worry about it while jogging. I don't go sleeveless to dinner parties, but I certainly do at the pool and in the garden and exercising.

I'd trust your husband's opinion. You might also see if you can find a sales lady or personal shopper to develop a relationship with. I have a woman at our closest Nordstrom's who has been very helpful as I've adjusted to what my new body looks best in.

Good for you for your weight loss!
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #6  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I certainly don't think your age has anything to do with it. Go for it! If you have the body for it, who cares what age you are!?
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #7  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

I've seen women your age and older running in sports bras, sometimes it can look a tad out if the ordinary but as long as your shorts aren't from the 80's you should be fine! If a sports bra is more comfortable to run in then go for it.
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #8  

Height: 5'4

I think that the biggest factor is your own comfort. Are you going to feel self-conscious wearing a sports bra? If so, it might effect your workout. If not, it may actually make you feel cooler/more comfortable while working out and help you continue to kick butt!

It's totally up to you! If you are going out running WITH your kids it might be a factor, but your workouts are YOU time, so do what you feel comfortable with.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
If you have the body for it, who cares what age you are!?
Even if you DON'T "have the body for it". How many people get out there and make the effort at all? Far too few these days. I say wear a muumuu, spandex booty shorts or anything in between whether you weigh 100 pounds or 700 pounds.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #10  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

I agree that it is all about what empowers you and will help you get the best workout. That being said, I have seen women jogging in all types of sports bras, and some look more appropriate than others. I have seen some women jogging in bras that are clearly meant to be seen outside - there is no "side boob" showing and the front rises up more like a tank top. I have seen other women jogging in what appears to be a bikini top or a regular bra, and my initial reaction is that they are outside in their underwear!

I personally would not jog outside in a sports bra (I didn't at age 22 and won't at age 42 either), but I dress more modestly/conservatively than a lot of people, so I am not the average opinion to go by. I also have massive boobs, and would probably injure myself and those around me even in the most supportive jogging bra! Unleashing the girls in a running situation could be dangerous.

Certainly, don't let your age be a factor. Go for what feels most comfortable for you.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Annabelle: You're right about teenage girls. My daughter is 16 and her embarrassment/disapproval of me is at an all-time high.

Hotaruchan: My ta-tas are not big enough to flop around. They were a respectable C when I weighed 195, but now they're a small B. I've already bought two of those tops (each reduced from $48 to $10) at an upscale fitness store. I think they look fine and they're super-comfortable. The way they're designed, I think it's clear they're meant to be worn as tops, not just bras.

Gardenerjoy: I like your idea of developing a relationship with a salesperson. My upper arms don't look too bad now, though at my higher weight I was certainly self-conscious about them and didn't do sleeveless.

JossFit: Love your attitude! And yes, it's been very hot around here lately, and staying cool is my main reason for wanting to wear these tops.

F.

Last edited by freelancemomma; 07-15-2012 at 11:13 AM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I think you can pull it off, and what's the worst that can happen? Just do what you feel comfortable with (but don't let discomfort hold you back)
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #13  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JossFit View Post
Even if you DON'T "have the body for it". How many people get out there and make the effort at all? Far too few these days. I say wear a muumuu, spandex booty shorts or anything in between whether you weigh 100 pounds or 700 pounds.
I totally agree. I should have really worded it to say that if you feel good in it, go for it. Whether or not some one "has" the body for it is totally subjective anyway.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #14  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Wear what you are comfortable working out in. I am young but sill wouldn't wear a sports bra without a top over it. My step mom wears bikinis and sports bras out all the time, and she is in her fifties. Personal comfort with skin and exercise preferences are what is important and if you don't mind, do it.

As for me, I'll keep putting tops on over, thanks . But if I didn't live in such a cold climate I might change my mind!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #15  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

My tentative response is if you're comfortable than go for it. To be sure I would need some pictures.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote