Old 07-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

Default Tortilla soup!

Had some delicious tortilla soup recently and I've been craving it ever since. Decided to make my own!

Recipe is kind of an estimate--for some things I definitely just eye-balled the measurements by what looked right.

-chopped onion (about a cup)
-chopped green bell pepper (about a cup)
-sliced jalapeno peppers (optional: I used 5 slices for a little extra kick)
-1 large zucchini, chopped (optional: I wanted to add in extra veggies. Could easily add more)
-2 cloves garlic

-fresh cilantro (however much you want. I bought one of the mini plastic packets at the store and used about half of it)
-1 can rotel tomatoes (you can use other tomatoes if you want. I like the additional spices that come with this can)

-low sodium, low fat chicken broth (recipe called for 2 cans that were 14 ounces each. I bought a carton and didn't measure at all)
-3/4 teaspoon chili powder
-3/4 teaspoon ground cumin

In a large pan, saute the onion, bell pepper, chopped zucchini, chopped garlic cloves, and jalapeno peppers. (This might take multiple batches--it's a lot of food!)

Put all of the sauteed food, along with the tomatoes, cilantro, and some broth into a food processor to blend it smooth (again, will probably take multiple batches.)

Move smooth food to a pot and add more chicken broth until the soup is the consistency you like. Add in ground cumin and chili powder.

I also really like avocado, so I added some cut up avocado and a little shredded cheese to my soup when I had a bowl of it.

SO delicious!

Last edited by Quiet Ballerina; 07-14-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189.4/173.8/150

Height: 6'

You have my mouth watering right now...
KatieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

Thanks! It was pretty easy. You could also add chicken to it, or beans. I thought about adding corn to it too.

I haven't tried it out yet (this was my first time making the soup) but I'll bet it freezes nicely too.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote