Old 07-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 168/138/130

Height: 5' 2"

Thumbs up Best Strategies to stay OP

I have seen many people struggling with staying OP, especially during the first 4 weeks.

I have also seen some incredible and really amazing strategies that many of you use to stay 100%.

So I thought a thread with our favorite strategies to stay OP, motivate ourselves, and reward ourselves for staying OP or overcoming roadblocks would be helpful to anyone who is struggling, especially newbies (and even oldies)

IPeeps,
What are your most effective strategies to stay 100% OP?
Delgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

When I did IP the first time, I did not cheat once ( that was for 5 months) and a couple of things helped.
1. Have at all times veggies cut up and ready for the "grab"
2. The cost of IP, read the real cost of IP thread
3. Clearing the house of tempting foods, hubby had to keep them at work. One day I got up and saw a big bag of red licorice on the counter (which I love) and in my PJ's grabbed it and ran it out to hubby's car slammed and locked the door. lol
4. ask for help from immediate family members and good friends.
5. When going to outings, dinners, picnics, I always made a big salad and cut up other veggies, so I knew I could eat something and if there wasn't appropriate protein choice, I filled my plate with salad and had protein later. I also kept a bar in my purse at all times.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #3  

Great thread!!

It's a mindset for me. Cheating is NOT an option. At all. Period.

And of course removing temptation helps, as does planning ahead esp when out of my home base. Making sure I have a bar in my purse and salad along.
mompattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #4  

Telling myself "it's only temporary" also wearing tight clothing helps (as soon as I could squeeze into the next smaller Jeans size, I wore those only, no old ones)

Last edited by Ugh73; 07-14-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Ugh73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mompattie View Post
Great thread!!

It's a mindset for me. Cheating is NOT an option. At all. Period.

And of course removing temptation helps, as does planning ahead esp when out of my home base. Making sure I have a bar in my purse and salad along.
I agree about the mindset, Mompattie. It's like being faithful in a marriage. You know a good marriage will make for a wonderful life. So will being faithful to IP. You just go into it with the idea that you won't cheat, so that your life will be better. It takes commitment, nurturing and time.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #6  
Started IP 7/3/12

S/C/G: 268/257.5/135

Height: 5' 7.5"

Delgen, that's exactly how I view it. Cheating is not an option for me in marriage and cheating is not an option on IP. 12 days so far and looking forward to however many more days it takes to get to goal OP.
Ramjet254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjet254 View Post
Delgen, that's exactly how I view it. Cheating is not an option for me in marriage and cheating is not an option on IP. 12 days so far and looking forward to however many more days it takes to get to goal OP.
Yes, and with such a great attitude it will go fast!
Old 07-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

When I was in P1 I wanted it to end as quickly as possible and I knew that would happen only if I stayed 100% OP, which I did.

Now that I'm in P4 I need to reevaluate why not to cheat because once you have a "fun" day it makes it easy to extend that into 1.5 days or 2 days...

SO, it really never ends...it's a complete change of lifestyle (and we all know it's really worth it!!!).

New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #9  
AngelaD

S/C/G: 243/ticker/180

I found that having someone to be accountable to on a day to day basis has been helpful. For me, that's my husband as we are doing this together! 2 months in and its been great and really not as hard as we thought it might be.
aclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #10  
Started IP 4/4/2012

S/C/G: 267.8/150/150

Height: 5'5'

I've decided to be 100% OP. Cheating isn't an option.

I have cheated on every diet since elementary school. I think that this time is different for me because of the restrictions that are in us. I'm not taking cookies, cake, wine, fruit, dairy etc and trying to fit it in to how ever many points I get during the day. I've read the posts on the real cost of cheating, and have taken it to heart.

I've been planning and finding alternatives. For example, I went to a party at my cousins and made sure I brought a side dish that I could eat, tomorrow is another party, I know they're having pizza, so I'll bring a RTD drink and veggies. I've also sat around the table with a pitcher of water and refilled a wine glass, so,I felt like i was participating. I watched them eat the cheese & sausage and brownies and ice cream for dessert.

My husband lost his job right before I started program. His old job was working at a wine store, he would get home at 8:30 or so, so I was by myself 6 days a week. This promoted bad eating habits. Now I get home and dinner is in the table. he's very supportive and has been cutting out carbs himself. If I had to figure out what to do for dinner every night, I'm not sure if I'd be this successfully.

Plus, seeing he's not working so, I don't want to waste the money. Although, that's never been a problem before, I've paid for many gym memberships I've never used!
Lynnie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclark View Post
I found that having someone to be accountable to on a day to day basis has been helpful. For me, that's my husband as we are doing this together! 2 months in and its been great and really not as hard as we thought it might be.
aclark, you have an excellent loss! It is working!
Old 07-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 170/168/145

Height: 5'4"

One of my tips is to eat before you're ravenously hungry.
If I notice that it's been 3 hours since breakfast, I'll grab some green pepper sticks, even if I haven't "noticed" it's time to eat yet. I find that if I wait too long, then I'm famished and more likely to eat unhealthy foods in unhealthy volumes.

Also, keep drinking your water... always!
Dakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #13  
Dieting Since Birth!

S/C/G: 308/ Ticker /208

I have been dieting a long time. I lost 100 pounds on Atkins Induction (under 20 carbs a day etc)...and then went into a stall that lasted many months, so I changed over to this. I lost 15 lbs my first week, (last week) and so far this week I am down 4 lbs...so this has the scale moving again!

I find my motivation and reward in seeing the scale move. That and the fact I will not cheat, heck, I won't even have a bar or such...just straight non-restricteds and water only...why? I want the very best results with no excuses (meaning later I can't blame the bars etc if I have a bad week), and I want results in the fastest time possible so I can leave phase 1.

Tips: Same tipes that apply to atkins or many other plans: I keep several salads in tupperware ready to go, just add dressing. I pre-weigh meat/chicken portions and freeze individually, I pre-cut and measure veggies and store...I want to be able to "run & grab" as needed, and I want to make my dinner with as little hassle as possible and FAST! I figure dinner is a "reward"...I save all 8oz protein for dinner and it is the only time I feel contented and "full"....after struggling to get through the whole day. So dinner is my "reward" on a daily basis, and the scale moving downward is my reward weekly.

Great thread, thanks for doing this!
Cheers;
Jake
mammoth357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoth357 View Post
I want results in the fastest time possible so I can leave phase 1.

Cheers;
Jake
I felt the same way...I wanted results the quickest possible and that meant no cheating...So glad I stayed 110% OP... Now in P4 I just need to reexamine my ability to get through a whole week (the 6 days between the "fun" day) without "slipping"...

Before being in Ketosis was the factor that also helped me stay 110%...now that's gone so it's a new game...

Keep up the great work!!!!!!!!!!!
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #15  
Dieting Since Birth!

S/C/G: 308/ Ticker /208

You did awesome New Englander! Congrats on your success!
mammoth357 is offline   Reply With Quote