Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

Talking Thank You!

I want to thank everyone who has been so very helpful the past week or so. I have been given some great advice and insight about WLS.

Tonight I meet with my "Case Worker". Because of some of the suggestions that I received here, I contacted my insurance company,not just once, but twice. The first time about all I got out of the conversation was, yes baratric surgery was covered, BUT it had to be done at a Blue Distinction Center.

So after reading a few more posts that said call them and call them more than once, I did just that. Today I talked with a wonderful woman who told me where I could get the "rules & regulations" reguarding coverage, prerequisits, everything needed. She even told me that there are some things (like the doc supervised weight loss that aren't covered as well, but once the approval for WLS is done they will go back and cover them, for two years prior.

I have learned of the different types of WLS. I am leaning toward a DS and will discuss it with the surgeon. I will listen to any suggestions he has, but in the end I will choose the surgery I want. And yes I found out a DS is covered by my insurance as well.

I also found out that because my BMI is over 50, I may also qualify to have excess skin removed. That was soething that was a bit of a dark cloud over my head.

I would name each of you who have been so very helpful, but I am afraid I will accidentally leave some one out. Every one has been so helpful and supportive!! It is just amazing!

I look forward to this journey and am thankful for the amazing support!!
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

that's what we're here for, Kate, and i'm so glad that you're making progress! keep us posted.

now, all we have to do is convince Tera to come back!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

Oh did they chase Tera off! What a shame!! I am so glad I did not get the response she did when I first posted about WLS.

I found out tonight that the case worker has worked with my particular insurance before. She said my insurance will still cover it, but at lower rate. We are fortunate and have a lower deductible, so end the end the difference between having it done locally and at a "Blue Distinction Center" would be about $500. Since the closest BDC is approx 100 miles away, when all associated costs are included it would be cheaper to have it done locally. Meaning...we still may be able to sneak it in before year end.

Maybe my motto should be "New Year, New Pouch!"
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

great attitude!
Old 07-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #5  
imp

S/C/G: WLS 232/C 113/G 125

Height: 5'5"

Yay Kate! Sounds like you're well on your way. Congratulations!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateB View Post
I also found out that because my BMI is over 50, I may also qualify to have excess skin removed.
THAT is amazing! I have never heard of an insurance company making that coverage determination based on your starting BMI - that is interesting. My excess skin removal wouldn't be covered because I'm not having any major health issues from it (like rashes or fungal infections). They don't care that my clothing choices are very limited despite being a "normal" size, that I have to wear shaping restrictive undergarments even when it's 100 degrees out, or that I have more than once caught my lower stomach skin in my pants zipper As much as I would love to have my excess skin removed, I don't think I could ever spend that much money on myself out-of-pocket now that I have a baby (and we are considering #2).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #7  
Old Cackler

carly - i can tell - when you're all done with this, you're gonna be drop-dead GORGEOUS!!!!!