Old 07-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #1  
Laura

Location: The beautiful Pacific Northwest! Tacoma, Washington

S/C/G: 330/268/150

Height: 5'7"

Smile Tips for eating out and staying on track?

Hi everyone, I'm Laura. I started my diet in mid June and so far things are going well. I stumbled once the last weekend of June because we had relatives from out of town staying with us and also it was my birthday weekend. The whole 4 days everyone was here I did entirely too much eating, celebrating, drinking, and um bday cake with icecream. I gained back half of what I'd lost up until then. But I did get back on track. It took me a week after the relatives left to re-lose those boomerang pounds. Now I'm back on plan and doing great. Just 7 pounds away from my first mini goal. Here's my dilemma:

I do great at home when I'm by myself. I do my own thing and I just take the slow and steady route. But tonight I'm going out for dinner. Ugh. At Red Robin. Yikes. My plan is to avoid the burgers and bottomless fries altogher by ordering a yummy salad but bringing my own diet-friendly dressing. And since I'm on WW I do have some flexibilty. I'm saving a big chunk of points today for this outing because I know restaurant salads have so many hidden traps like cheese and croutons, etc. I don't want to become anti-social but I'm just wondering what everyone else does in a group, or eating out, or celebrating. I get de-railed so easily that it makes me want to stay home and miss the fun.

Also, my boyfriend has a big birthday coming up next week and there are multiple celebrations going on and they all seem to involve eating out. I don't want to get off track again! But I also don't wanna become a dieting hermit. Any suggestions?
Chubbygirl253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #2  
is a persistent thistle

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/133

Height: 5'6"

If I know what restaurant I'm going to I make sure I look up the nutrition information beforehand. It's so easy to think you're making a good decision only to find out later on that what you ate wasn't an especially good choice. The good news is you don't have to be uninformed! I don't see Red Robin's nutrition information on the their website, but it's easy enough to google. Looks like there are quite a few options that might work, especially if you halve the portion. This site gives you nutrition information and WW points: http://www.exercise4weightloss.com/w...red-robin.html

Last edited by Thistleberry; 07-11-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Thistleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5"3

I went on a trip last week and told my coworkers that I was being tested for allergies so could only eat certain foods. They left me to my own devices and didn't really mind when We went out and I was quite particular with how I ordered my food.

I managed to go 3 days away from home without cheating. It wasn't easy but I am so pleased that my will power is stronger than what I thought I could do.

Just keep on reminding yourself why you are trying to change your lifestyle and what you are trying to gain by avoiding unhealthy and excessive food. And if you fall off the wagon, get back up as soon as you can. Don't give up on yourself.
Wheresmychin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #4  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Red Robin is one of my favorite places!

Ask for a lettuce bun. I actually prefer burgers on lettuce, now. Nom Nom Nom!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

My daughter picked Red Robin for her preschool graduation lunch. I got the half apple chicken salad and asked for the nuts, dressing, and cheese to be on the side, and I threw out my bread. They probably gave me 3oz of blue cheese - crazy! My daughter likes to nibble on it, so she took it home with her mac and cheese.

I also got a skinny margarita
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #6  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Don't tell anyone but I'm Laura, too!

You have a few options here.

A) Don't eat all day and get your entire day's worth at dinner.
B) Have everything you want but a limited amount of it - box it up in advance or whatever it takes.
C) Improvise - burger with lettuce, split a salad and something else with a willing friend.

I would suggest skipping the fries, they have no nutritional value and even the strongest willed souls can't just have a couple.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Their website is one where you can customize and get nutrition information before you go.
http://www.redrobin.com/menu

In general for restaurants I stick with grilled, pan seared, or broiled lean meats, skip the starch and request a double portion of the vegetable. Then I take half of it home.

Last edited by Munchy; 07-11-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #8  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
Don't tell anyone but I'm Laura, too!

You have a few options here.

A) Don't eat all day and get your entire day's worth at dinner.
B) Have everything you want but a limited amount of it - box it up in advance or whatever it takes.
C) Improvise - burger with lettuce, split a salad and something else with a willing friend.

I would suggest skipping the fries, they have no nutritional value and even the strongest willed souls can't just have a couple.
Good advice! They'll let you sub fries for a side salad. Now I'm hungry!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #9  
is a persistent thistle

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/133

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
Their website is one where you can customize and get nutrition information before you go.
http://www.redrobin.com/menu

In general for restaurants I stick with grilled, pan seared, or broiled lean meats, skip the starch and request a double portion of the vegetable. Then I take half of it home.
Ah! Very cool. Apparently I didn't poke around enough.
Thistleberry is offline   Reply With Quote