Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 07-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #1  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Default Shrinking fingers and ring sizes

I'm only halfway to my modest goal, and my rings are becoming an issue. I've worn the same one on my right hand for nearly nine years, and my engagement/wedding ring for three-ish. Both are wiggly as all get-out right now -- just enough to be annoying throughout the day, but not quite in fall-off territory yet. I'm only 10 lbs lighter than when I got married, so I'm really surprised that it's an issue already.

I have terribly small hands/wrists to begin with (I think my rings are 5.5? shoot, I should know!), and I'm a little wary over how much more they'll shrink. Re-sizing them is in the future, but I'm nervous about doing it now and then having my fingers shrink even more. I suspect my wedding ring may have to be re-cast, so I'd hate to have to do it twice. But at the slow rate I'm losing - and expecting this problem to only worsen - I'm not sure what to do between now and then. Closer to goal, I may have to put them on a chain or just stop wearing them temporarily... blah.

Anyone care to share their experiences with their rings? I know about the existence of 'sizers' you can clip on the band, but have never actually seen them or know if they work very well.

Last edited by Desiderata; 07-09-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #2  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

Mine went from a 7 back down to the size 5 I had when I was first married. I had them resized when they actually started flying off my hands! It's been 8 months since then, and I think I could go down more, but I don't want to pay to resize them right now.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 267/193/175

You can go to a jewelry store and they can put on a rubber resizer on the back of the ring. My husband had one for a long time then he lost it and he wrapped string around the back until he got it resized. Keep up the hard work!!
btrinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #4  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

lol, I have/had this problem. I went from at 6.75 to my current 5. I have allergies, though.. weird ones. (Like fluoride! Really? Ugh.) I tried metal resizers, rubber ones, plaztic ones, string, tape.. nothing worked. I would wake up the next morning with hives on my giant-swollen-hand, lol. It would look like an oven mit and I would have to ice it while waiting for my antihistimine to work.. I finally had it one day when, after walking around with my left hand clasped in a fist, my wedding ring slid off. At work. And where I work, there are grates and drains all over the floor.. and they go God knows where, lol.. so my DH bought me a smaller band thats white gold -which I'm not allergic to- to go on the outside of my wedding set. It's a temporary solution for now, because I don't want to have them sized twice. It's not good for the gold.

GL. I hope you find a solution and it's easier than mine!

Last edited by kateleestar; 07-10-2012 at 07:53 AM.
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 287/175/180

Height: 5'9"

I have the problem now that my knuckles are much bigger than where the ring goes. So if it goes over the knuckle, it spins around on my finger. Hmmm, I guess I need to find one of these rubber ring sizer things- can you put it on the ring after the ring is on your finger?
k8yk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 185/139/120

Height: 5'4"

My rings were really tight when I started my weight loss, so for a while they weren't an issue. I just started wearing my engagement ring on my middle finder about a week ago, to make sure I don't lose it. My wedding band is a bit smaller, so while it's lose, I'm not worried about it falling off quite yet.

The engagement ring probably looks funny on my middle finger, but I wasn't wearing it traditionally anyhow. My rings don't match, and are both very thick, so I never intended to wear them as a set, and have always had them on different hands. So since I'm already not being traditional, I figure it's no big deal to wear it on my middle finger.

Once I'm at a size I'm confident I'm going to stay at, I'll have them re-made. But my rings are titanium and tungsten, so they can't really be re-sized. If I could re-size without a huge cost associated, I might've considered it by now, I'm not really sure.
JessicaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

I routinely wear two rings; my wedding ring and a ring my mother gave me years ago. When I started my weight loss effort in January, I had already had the ring my mother gave resized up and my wedding ring was really tight. Since I've lost a wee bit over 50 pounds, the ring my mother gave me is loose but my wedding ring now fits properly.

I have a bit of arthritis in my hands and my fingers tend to swell. I also have large knuckles so I really didn't expect a whole of change to my finger sizes. I am pleased by the small changes, though. I think I may have to get one of those rubber spacer things soon. I don't think I'll have either of my rings resized until I'm at goal and I've been there for a while.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 233/201.8/150

Height: 5'4"

I was in the same boat with my wedding rings. They are loose enough to be annoying but not falling off yet unless I was swimming then they were more loose. I went to a jewelry store the other day and they put one of those sizer things on it and it is soo much better. It clips on and has a bar that runs across the bottom, inside of the ring and u can push the bar down or up to help make it fit. I have lost 50 pounds and still have another 34 to go (unless I decide to lose more) so I don't want to resize yet.
stlrsgrl43 is offline   Reply With Quote