Old 07-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 251/see ticker/175

Height: 5'11"

Default Starting Atkins tomorrow-Going to buy new Atkins book tonight

Hi everyone,
I have been on Weight Watchers on and off for 3-4 years now. Well let's just say that I can't seem to get motivated lately to follow the WW program. I have now decided to try Atkins for a fresh start, something completely new and untried. I think I will be more focused to follow a brand new program instead of trying something that I am already very comfortable with and tired of.

I am going to buy the Atkins book tonight with a friend and give the program a solid try starting tomorrow. I am very encouraged by the many success stories and the tremendous weight loss of Atkins users.

I just thought I would introduce myself to everyone here as I will be frequenting this forum from now on. I am 33, mom to a 3 year old boy and a full time university instructor.

Wish me luck !!!

Ps. I would like to lose about 25 lbs.
Summer2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #2  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

Height: 5'2"

Hi Summer! !
I wish you much success on this journey

Post often and let us know how it's going!
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #3  

Thank you! I have prepared a great breakfast this morning-3 egg omellette with turkey bacon, mushrooms and cheddar cheese, coffee with cream.
So far so good
Old 07-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/178/150

Height: 5'8

I too am starting the Atkins program . Good luck !
summeringbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

to Atkins!
I've been doing Atkins for a little over 8 years now and can't say enough good about it. Simply, when done correctly, Atkins works.
As with any weight loss plan, the key to success is to make the plan your lifestyle. I personally feel in order to do that you need to fully educate yourself about the particular plan you've chosen. Reading Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (2002 or prior versions) before attempting to do this plan is critical. Understanding exactly how & why this plan works is the main ingredient for not only doing it successfully...but, for doing it correctly. So many people out there think Atkins is the all you can eat red meat, bacon & butter diet. Its not! If you are doing Atkins correctly, from day 1, you are consuming veggies & salads. In fact, during the Induction phase of Atkins, 12-15 of your daily 20 carbs for the day, should be coming from veggies & salads. That being said, Atkins, even the Induction phase, does not need to be bland & boring. There are lots of great Atkins friendly recipes out there. One of the best sites for recipes is http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html Anything appropriate for Induction is marked with an *.
I hope this helps!
All the best to you!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #6  

Thank you Jersey Gyrl. That's great advice!
I read the book last night and this morning including the induction phase. I am sure I will be learning as I go from personal experience and from other posters here. This is very different than anything I have ever done so it is exciting for sure but a little bit scary too.

Good luck to you and thanks again for your response.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #7  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

Hi! Welcome I wish you success.
I am in my first week of Induction and it definitely takes some adjustment. How did your first day go?
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #8  

Hi Tiff,
I am doing well, how about you?
I have been doing induction for 7 days now-I am doing extremely well I should say . Cravings for sweets have been sporadic, and manageable. I have lost 8.4 lbs in one week!!! Woo-hooo...and I feel really good.

I think this second week will be a challenge for me because I don't want to eat this same food over and over. I will have to come up with some new recepies....

For those of you that are 'seasoned' low carbers:
I usuallu have an atkins shake for breakfast and the last 3-4 days have been eating an atkins bar in the afternoon (chocolate or peanut butter). How bad/good are these bars for someone doing induction? I must admit they make the Induction phase more bearable.

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #9  

I just looked on Atkins website and the shakes and chocolate bars are okay during induction (recommended as snacks in Atkin's sample 2 week induction menu)...so I just answered my own question

I am still discovering little things about this diet plan but in reality this is why it is motivating and exciting.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #10  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer2010 View Post
I just looked on Atkins website and the shakes and chocolate bars are okay during induction (recommended as snacks in Atkin's sample 2 week induction menu)...so I just answered my own question
I apologize in advance for bursting your bubble but....those Atkins bars are not suitable for Induction....despite what they tell you on the label & the Atkins website. They contain ingredients like milk, soy & peanuts, which are not on the acceptable foods list for Induction.
You may want to read this, I believe it will clarify any questions you may have.
http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 07-09-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #11  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

Hi Summer, I am doing pretty well. Glad to hear your first week is turning out to be a success! I am going to make "Spinach Bread" tonight because I am so tired of eating so much salad lol! Broccoli has broken up the monotony as well as avocado and cucumber, oh and I sliced a red bell pepper and fried my egg inside of that (yummy!). So I totally get being bored with the same thing, I have been mixing it up some though. Having Sausage with sauerkraut and a salad for dinner.
I have read that the shakes and bars aren't great for Induction (even though the website promotes them as such). So, I have stayed away from them. I am working all day everyday next week though, so I will be bring a bar with me just in case.
genaw.com is a wonderful site that JerseyGirl shared... I love that site!
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #12  

JerseyGyrl, you have wounded me greatly!
Thanks for the link to that article...it totally makes sense!
I think I will continue to include these snacks in my Induction phase but will be careful not to eat too many....

I still prefer the real food for sure!

Tiff-I actually enjoy the salads quite a bit-my favorite is this one:
lettuce, boiled eggs, cherry tomatoes, all natural caesar dressing, a little bit of vinegar, mexican shredded cheese, grilled chicken breast. Even if I am not doing this Induction phase 100 % perfect, I am still eating probably 90-95% less carbs than before. It sounds like you are doing great! Keep up the good work
Old 07-10-2012, 03:18 AM   #13  

That salad sounds so yummy.
Kamiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #14  

Well, the Atkins bars and shakes did it for me this morning---1.6 lb gain! I googled "gained weight during Induction" and pretty much the verdict is Atkins bars and shakes.
JerseyGyrl-you were right!
I am disappointed but it is not the end of the world....I am sure I will be back to losing in a day or two....definitely learned my lesson! The reason I posting this here is for those who may be following this thread, not to make the same mistake as I did.....and to listen to the advice of others who have been at this far longer than me.

And here we go with another day on plan!! Cheers everyone!!
Old 07-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #15  
Larry's Angel

When Dr. Atkins created the bars & shakes, they were pretty much to be used in an emergency....meaning when you are in a situation where no other low carb food is available. They were certainly not meant to be used everyday nor were they ever meant to be used on Induction.
That being said, I am not saying I never eat them but, I will tell you I never ate them on Induction. They contain ingredients not found on the acceptable foods list. When I read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (2002 version), the thing that always stood out for me was, when he said having the attitude of a little taste of this or that would be the kiss of death. I believed that then and I still believe it today.
After Dr. Atkins death in 2003, Atkins Nutritionals Inc. took over and as my boss always says "business is business". Atkins Nutritionals Inc. is a business, they are about making money, sadly, they are advertising these products to be Induction friendly. As with anything else in life, knowledge is power. If you aren't sure about something on this eating plan, read & research!
Save the bars & shakes for pre-maintenance & maintenance.....not Induction....no matter what the label says!
JMHO