Old 07-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Default 40-Somethings July 2012 Chat

Figured I would start a new place for us to chat and continue our goals. I think some of us found a thread called a "challenge" to be too challenging. I know that I struggled with the last challenge. I still want to stay focused and on-track, but I don't only want to focus on a scale goal. I also want to just have a place to check in daily on my progress. What do you all say?

My goals for the rest of July are -

-Drink at least 8 cups of water per day
-Exercise at least 30 minutes 5-6 times per week
-Take my vitamins daily
-Keep my calories between 10,500-11,000 per week
-Don't give up!
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #2  

Still staying on track with my exercise, even in the heat. TOM is really dragging me down, and the truth is, I just feel like laying down under a fan with a cold washcloth on my forehead! However, I am dressed to go for a bike ride and my husband is coming with me this morning, so off I go!

Good luck today!
Old 07-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #3  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

I am so glad to see this thread Guac. I am really struggeling to stay on track with my food plan. The number I saw on the scale this morning brought tears to my eyes. I never thought I would see that number again. I need to get off this downward sprial of self descrution.

This week, I will keep my calories between 1,300-1,400.
I will exercise at least 5 times
I will drink more water
I will stay inside. It's suppose to be 108 here today.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #4  

NEMom - ((hugs)) So glad you are here! We can do this! I have been feeling rather hopeless myself - but I am feeling better this week just by taking action and doing and trusting that eventually the scale will cooperate. It's tough, I know. The temperature in my car read 105 degrees! I did my biking in the morning - 4 miles. It was in the 90s. I felt really shaky afterwards. I am lying in bed under my fan at the moment - a well deserved rest after biking and running errands with husband! Good luck today!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/142/130

Height: 5'1"

Thanks for starting the thread guac! And great job on getting that bike ride in! Its so hot here too I have been exercising in my basement to not overheat.

I feel like I did not do well at all with my 4th of July challenge. I drank lots more water and did well with exercise but my food is all over the place. 2-3 days on plan 2-3 days off. Back and forth and its getting me nowhere fast. I keep working on the same 3 lbs all the time.

So I think my goals for this month have more to do with being able to deal with all the eating out and different celebrations that seem to come with every single weekend. I do feel like I want to let myself enjoy all these fun things but I need to not let myself have a free for all either. Its not happening all the time but way more than it should. So I feel like if I can be maintaining my weight eating all the crap that I have been it really should not be that hard to lose some if I got that under control.

my goals are:

-Cut out the alcohol. should be easy because I don't really care that much about it anyway.
-pack up at least half my food when eating out right away so I'm not tempted to eat more just because it tastes so good and is right in front of me.
-stick to the fresh fruit and veggie platters and only allow one small plate at all these bbq's. I did great at the family reunion so I want to repeat that feeling of accomplishment!
-Keep up the good work on drinking water and exercise

Let's all have a fun and healthy month!
cbigsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbigsis View Post
I keep working on the same 3 lbs all the time.

So I think my goals for this month have more to do with being able to deal with all the eating out and different celebrations that seem to come with every single weekend. I do feel like I want to let myself enjoy all these fun things but I need to not let myself have a free for all either.
This is my life in a nutshell right now! It's getting so that I dread the celebrations because of the dieting temptations - but I know that's not a healthy attitude. I just need to learn how to control my portions better and make better selections. Ahhh....it's all good. I'll be looking back at this time come January, when it's freezing and everyone stays indoors and no holidays to look forward to, and miss all the summer fun! I'm going to enjoy all this while I can and not let a few pounds get me down.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 183/159/128

Height: 5'6.5"

Default Hello Everyone!

Hello all!

I just joined, and posted my profile in the 40-something profile thread. Bottom line, I flipped my switch from "want" to "will" on April 2nd after hitting a high of 183 pounds - I was motivated by a family vacation that we just returned from to lose 30 of the 55 pounds I want to lose and I'm proud to say I did it!!! - went from a size 14 to a 10/8

Now that our vacation is over, I'm finding it hard to feel as committed. I underestimated what a motivator it was! For the last three months I ate only fish, veggies, fruit and drank zero liquid calories (gave up my beloved wine). I feel SO much better already - more energy, I look forward to getting dressed in the morning! And I know my natural and ideal healthy weight is around 128 (plus or minus 5 pounds).

So I know I need to lose this weight - and that I CAN lose it! I just need to stay focused. Also, other than adding back some wine on weekends and some healthy whole grains, this is the lifestyle I am very comfortable living.

When I went on vacation I stayed completely disciplined with exercise and food intake, but enjoyed wine in the evenings with my Mom. I planned for it, but now have this feeling now that I'm back and it's Friday night that I'm "deprived" of it. I have to keep reminding myself that I am CHOOSING not to drink, because I'm prioritizing my weight loss over the short-term pleasure of drinking my Friday night wine!

Doesn't make it much easier on my first night back though.

But I know that it will only take a few days of "discomfort" without that evening wine and I'll be fine...

I saw that some of you are also cutting the liquid doughnuts! I had to get really creative and find a variety of zero-calorie substitutes. By far, my favorite is fresh lemonade - I bought a lemon juicer (XOXO brand) that fits over the top of a large tumbler, and fill the tumbler 1/2 way with ice, juice one lemon in it, add a pack of Truvia and water and I'm all set! (it's great for this HOT weather too!!). I go through BAGS of lemons. Lol. I also occasionally add mint leaves, raspberries, etc... Gives me that citrus taste that I miss from the wine!

I also do flavored Keurig coffee (which have little to no calories), various herbal teas (I carry them in my purse), sparkling water with lime or lemon, and unsweetened iced tea (you could add a pack of Truvia if you prefer sweet tea).

I'm also completely addicted to fruit in the evenings after dinner - right now it's cherries, but I'm sure before I call it a day I'll have my cup of frozen blackberries - - feels like I'm having ice-cream! :-)

I'm looking forward to participating in this thread!

My July goals:

1. No liquid calories
2. No pasta, potatoes, bread or rice
3. Fish, veggie burgers (and other veggie substitutes) veggies and fruit will be my diet
4. Exercise 5 times a week for 30 minutes minimum each workout.

I'm glad I have this thread to help keep me motivated and on track and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Sheila
Sheila22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #8  

Hello All,

Well, I weighed in this morning at 149.5 !!! WOO HOO!!!

I have one of those Dr's Scales, and I've had the big weight on 150 for SOOO long! It felt good to move it to the 100 mark to start moving that top bar down from 150 pounds!

In celebration of moving into the "140s", I took my daughter to the mall - this time not to shop for HER (although she did get a couple of things ), but to buy myself some new dress pants for work! SIZE 8 !! I am SOOO thrilled - it was definitely the motivation I needed to keep going - I know I will feel so good in my clothes next week. :-) Bought three pairs - black, tan and grey....so I'm all set (at least for another month ). Having said that, I also got two $25 certificates with my purchase that become active August 1st - so I already have $50 off my size 6 pants! - - my goal is to be able to USE those certificates before they expire!!!

Today I had four veggie sausages with a slice of rice cheese for "brunch" around 11am (400 calories) - - dinner will be 7 oz of Herb Grilled Salmon over greens with a sesame tahini dressing (which I will put on the side and just dip my fork)...that will be about 600 calories, so I might split the salmon salad into two servings and have one later this afternoon and then the other half around 6:30 or 7pm.

I really want to workout, but it is SOOO HOT outside! Another 100 degree day - - I need to set up my treadmill again - had my spare bedroom carpeted and just haven't gotten around to putting it back into place and plugging it in! I envy all of my neighbors who have swimming pools today!

Anyway - off to make lemonade!

Sheila
Old 07-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/163/125

I love this thread, Guacamole! I was definately one who didn't fair well on meeting all my goals in the challenges....especially the weight goal!
I am going to steal one of your goals, Guac....'cause I love it!

Goals:
1. Don't give up!!!
2. Excelrcise 5 days a week....Zumba, weights....maybe add yoga & swimming.
3. Drink lots of water.
4. Eat small portions.
KelStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #10  
One Day at a Time

S/C/G: 227/156/149

Height: 5'7"

Default Holiday weeks

As much as I love having DH home w me, and as much as I liked that we had a holiday day-off last week, I am so glad he is headed into work for the entire week.

Strange how life cycles work - last month, I got married for the first time to the most wonderful man on earth. Today, I am making brownies today for the wake of a friend's father - he had been very ill. Next weekend, I will head to my hometown to help my elderly, yet still ornery, parents.

My focus for this week is drinking water, exercising and writing down everything I eat! Have a great Monday.
princessbgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/225.5/167

Height: 5'7"

Hey there! I new to the forums, but not new to dieting. DH & I have made a commitment to each other that this is the last one as we are undergoing life-style change and not a diet.

My goals for July:

* Drink ~100 oz of water a day
* Exercise at least 5x/week (walking, yoga, body pump, aerobics tapes)
* Prepare a wide variety of veggies for snacks & for taking to work
* Keep a food diary
* Take my supplements
* Not eat out the rest of the month.
Simi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #12  

Hello wonderful ladies! So glad to see old and new faces on here. I rode my bike for 4 miles and stayed within my calorie range today. Life has been really hectic and I haven't had much time for posting here or dwelling too much on food or cravings. So the first thing isn't great but the last things are! I guess I am just moving along. I weighed in at 152 this morning - so no major changes either way. At least I am maintaining. I had to visit my husband at work today, and one of the ladies he works with asked loudly "What did you do with the rest of you?!" She also asked if my husband was starving me. Honestly, I didn't know what to say to either remark, so I just smiled. When I left she told me to keep up the good work. Also, a well meaning friend sent my husband a letter today, saying that he and his wife saw me when they were in town and that I looked great, and they know that soon my husband will also look great when he loses the weight. He meant well, but I really don't know if letters like that are helpful. People don't need a "wake-up call" to the fact that they are overweight. We live with it every day. I also hope that my husband doesn't feel resentful of me.

Good luck, everyone!
Old 07-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #13  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Good job maintaining Guac. That alone is a major accomplishment.

Sheila22 - Glad your scale moved! Good job!!!

Simi - Welcome!!!

princessbgirl -You sound really busy! Good job staying on track with everything going on in your life.

I have to say that since I saw 165 on my scale last week, a number that I thought I would NEVER see again, I am finally, finally starting to get my food back on track. I have not been 100% perfect but it has been so much better these last 5 days. Today I was back down to 162.6 still over my original goal and too high but at least I am making a little progress.
The weather has been slightly cooler the last couple of days, down to the 90's but is suppose to be over 100 by the weekend again. Ugh, the heat kills me.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #14  

NEMom - Great job on getting on track and seeing the scale go down. I am so glad that you are posting here and updating all of us.

I went for a 4.5 mile bike ride with hubby this morning. Glad that I got that off my checklist this morning. I always feel so much better when exercise is a part of my day. I weighed in at 150lbs this morning - a new low for me and a number I have not seen since 2004! In 2004 I got down to 150, then got pregnant and ballooned up to my high weight within one year. Since there are no more pregnancies on my horizon, this time I will keep going until I finally hit my goal weight! I don't know how long it will take, but I will eventually get there. Now to maintain at 150 and not gain.

Good luck, everyone!
Old 07-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #15  

Hello everyone!

I'm still on track - walked 30 minutes tonight on the trail, and ate very light - candidly, I'm still hungry - but I think it's emotional more than anything - going through that "post-vacation" reality re-entry...tons to do at work, garden is a disaster, house is a mess...and next weekend I have to leave Sunday for a work "offsite" - - so Saturday will be spent cleaning instead of relaxing (I'm a single Mom)...

Still trying to stay motivated and finding it a bit hard - asking myself "why" I am doing this....I know why, but I'm feeling down about not having a significant other at the moment to appreciate it...so Guac - you're lucky!! Although I understand your concerns about resentment. When I lost all of my weight 5 years ago my friends who weren't quite at the same point on the path as I was treated me a little differently.

At any rate - I picked out my 40 pound bracelet today and hung it on my bathroom door where my "weigh-in" calendar is. I have three bracelets on my left arm - each represents a 10 pound loss. They are those simple braided thread ones with beads woven in them, but different styles and colors....just a reminder to myself of how far I've come, and my "goal bracelet" will motivate me - - so when I weigh in at 143, I'll put it on. . Then select my 50 pound bracelet to work for!

Sounds a bit childish, but honestly, it works! And when I tell people why I'm wearing the bracelets they think it's really cool and a great idea - - so I thought I'd share!

Going to go down and make some decaf coffee with sugar free almond syrup - woo hoo! Then will settle down and read for awhile before bed.

Hope everyone has a great evening!