UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 406/394/200

Height: 5"7

Default Big fatty fitness!!!

Hello!
I need some advice because i am dieting but I want to also improve my fitness, for weight loss and also because I am just embarrassingly unfit. Like if I have to walk even 1 flight of stairs I literally can't talk by the top, I am so breathless. Same for gradients, even gentle ones.

I have been doing swimming, trying to build up to twice a week but it isn't helping yet. I don't drive but I have to get a bus, can't do long ways. If it is more than 2 stops absolute maximum, I don't have a chance. It is just BAD, like I am only 20! I try and walk where I cna but it is not much.

How do I begin building up fitness in a managable and non humiliating/public way? I also am not sure I can afford a gym membership

Thank you xxxxx
JoseLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

A couple exercises you could try:

You could try doing some step-ups on the stairs, just slow at first, maybe set a goal for yourself (25 step-ups in 2 minutes) and then the next time, up your steps and lower your time.

You could try couch-stand-up-sit-down-thingys - I don't know what they're actually called (I saw them on Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition). You just sit down on your couch or a chair and stand up, and then do it again, and again. Again, set a goal - 25 in 5 minutes or something.

But walking and swimming are definitely your best bet. Have you been taking swimming fitness classes or just swimming on your own?

Just keep at it, sometimes it can take months to see and feel a difference as your body adjusts to the changes, but eventually it will happen!

Last edited by EricAnn; 07-04-2012 at 06:03 PM.
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #3  

I don't think I'm ready for the chair one yet, I can't imagine I could do it without using my arms. But the stepping one sounds good.

The only other worry i have is pains I get in my calves and sometimes knees, I wouldn;t be causing damage would I?

Thanks for the advice anyways
xxxx
Old 07-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/156/125

Height: 5'2

I'm so pleased you want to start on your fitness! I would suggest walking more, as Ericann says, but strength training is also important as muscle improves exercise endurance as well as burning a lot more fat per pound of muscle!

So, things you can try to build muscle are squats (go as low down as you can, keep good form) for your lower body and use a resistance band, hand weights or even tins of beans for your arms. You can try doing arm presses with the weights even while you watch tv.

If you want to take it a bit further, invest in (or download!) a workout dvd if you need direction like I do. A good gentler pace one, I think, is Davina McCall.

And keep up that swimming! It's toning your entire body while it's burning calories, even if it's not boosting your fitness by that much. Plus, it's fun! x
Marchmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

WELCOME....When I started at close to 300 pounds, I wouldn't dare exercise in public. I started with Walk Away The Pounds by Leslie Sansone. It's an at home walking dvd that allows you to pace yourself and is not very strenuous. It was GREAT to start with and something that I could tailor to my fitness level (which was low when I started). You can break it into shorter segments. I really saw results and it really got me ready to move to the next fitness level. I jog now (did 3 and 1/2 miles this morning) and I credit Walk Away The Pounds with getting me started. Some of the DVDs are on YouTube..

All the best to you....YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Cheering you on to goal
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 108/105.8/60 kgs

Height: 5 foot 6

When I first started losing weight I had a nasty back injury, and dodgy knees, making it very hard to exercise.

I started with walking 10-15 minutes at a time, taping my knees up, with the back brace on, and built it from there.

I never did get very fit, but was eventually able to walk 2 hours a day.....

Most of it's up to diet, anyway.
sonickel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: See ticker for pounds lost

First, congrats on taking the first step in changing your overall health for the best!

I to am supremely out of shape and started with 5 minutes at a time using Zumba for my Wii. I was only able to do 5 minutes for the first 2 weeks and am now up to 15 minutes. Not a lot..but it's a heck of a lot more than when I first began.

Someone else mentioned Walk Away the Pounds, that is a wonderful program and you can find videos on YouTube and also cheap dvd's on Ebay or Amazon. I saw some of her older dvd's for less than $10!

No matter what you do...just keep moving! We're gonna get there!

Vibrant
VibrantThang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:39 AM   #8  

Thank you all! I have to stress i am totally not supple of flexible too, I think my body is totally against me! I can't do squats or wii. I can do trying to build some muscle though and definitely i can do waling! I think i will mainly concentrate on walking for now and build it up, see if I can gradually go further. It is actually embarrassing being this unfit!

I remember when I was a teenager I did curcuit training at my sisters gym, she helped me access that. I was like half the pace of everyone else and had to miss some stages but it was OK, I don't know if I could face it now though, like, embarrassing. It was good exercise though.My sister uses the gym quite a bit and is very much encourage me to go sometimes and she will help me with it, but I don't know if I can do it yet. I would like if some day I did, just to please her!
Old 07-05-2012, 04:35 AM   #9  

you're saying you don't know if you can do the gym yet, Jose - what's the only way to find out? Try it! You could use the treadmill to do your walking.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #10  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Joselo,hooray for you for starting to get a little exercise going. It isn't easy I know,I started at over 25 stone myself. I had to grit my teeth and take painkillers to even get the short distance to take my little boy to school. I would arrive PUCE in the face and puffing and panting. I volunteered to walk with my son's class to swimming lessons little did I know how fast the teacher walked!!
If you have a sympathetic GP discuss your concerns with him/her. Usually the answer is the risks of exercise are far outweighed by the risks of being very overweight. Depends on your general health of course.
Think about Exercise on Prescription as you could access the gym for much less.
Good luck....I am now up to walking rapidly 2.5 mles daily and managed to get to the mountains so you CAN do it!

Last edited by mountain walker; 07-05-2012 at 07:50 AM. Reason: error
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #11  
Trying.....

S/C/G: 248/ticker/175

Height: 5'9

Check out Chris Powell's (EM: Weight Loss Edition) book, Choose to Lose: the 7 day Carb Cycle Solution. It has good starter exerises in it and a nutritional program in it. He starts with the basics of pushups, situps, and squats. Do a little each day and try to do one more the next day, then the next, etc. You will get to the point where you can do them with ease (maybe not complete ease but at least they will get easier.

Good luck and stick with it!
brvsfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #12  

Unfortunately I think I am the stage even before basics... there is no way i can do anything that involves supporting or lifting my whole weight like sit ups or press ups, I would BREAK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchmallow View Post
you're saying you don't know if you can do the gym yet, Jose - what's the only way to find out? Try it! You could use the treadmill to do your walking.
Maybeeees. I might ask me sister if she was come with me and reintroduce me... I dunno. She'd jump for joy if I did!!

Thanks for your comments MW and honesty xxx It is hard when you are very big isn't it, exercise wise. You have done so so well, very inspirational xxx

I have the doctor tomorrow, might ask about this also.
xxxx
Old 07-06-2012, 04:56 AM   #13  

Do it, Jose! Ask your sister, just get in that gym. Your sister can even help you get started with a regime that you can re evaluate and change every three weeks as your fitness increases and your body gets smaller! ;D!

Let us know how you get on at the doctor! Don't forget to ask her about an NHS programme and some CBT!
Old 07-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 250/147/120

Height: 163cm

I saw you've given Wii games a try, which ones, may I ask? I recently bought EA Sports Active 2 for myself, for days when it's pouring down and I can't go for a run outside (which happens to be a lot these days, despite being assured it's the summer!).

You can tailor it to your own needs, which is nice.

But I will agree on the walking. It'll be hard at first, but if weight loss were easy, none of us would be here, willing each other on.
HappyStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #15  

Sorry, I meant I can't do wii... I don't have one and I don't think I could do it. I know they are great for some people though!

I might ask my sister... as much as anything just because it will make her so happyyy!!
xxxx