Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/183/155

Height: 5"8

Default Always stuck at the same place.

I'm trying not to get discouraged but I can't help it. Last year I lost 25 pounds brining me to 182 and then stalled (I know it's normal to plateau) I just kind of gave up on paying much attention to my eating and continued just working out (1 hour of biking 5 days a week) until September
Well 3 months ago I started again ( weight 194 ) I lost 7-8 pounds within two weeks and since then like 2-3 pounds. Its like my body refuses to go under 182.
I started by eating 1400 cals and bike 1 hour per day (commute) after a month of no loss I stopped biking and continued counting calories, nothing.
So I decided to start meal replacement shakes (breakfast lunch as a shake , 3 snacks (fruit, granola and a healthy dinner.) I stopped biking since this is low calorie. I lost 3 pounds finally.
This weekend I went out for dinner twice (and drank)
I'm back up to 185 (gain of 3-4 pounds) drank like , 4 liters of water (I always always drink a lot of water but I stepped it up)
This morning I was still the same. I'm getting really angry that all that hard work is ruined by 2 stupid meals. I know all about water retention but would I really be the same 2 full day later??? After drinking so much water???
I just want to get out of the 180's and it seems impossible. I know any loss is better then no loss, but I can't believe I'm losing practically nothing!
I won't give up , but I just kinda wanna punch the wall.
tleeiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

Your body has specific numbers it feels 'comfortable' at and sticks too, it's part of a process called Homeostasis, which is how your body regulates temperature, pH, electrolyte balance, and other things. Those numbers are really tough to push through because your body always tries to return to that number, usually because below it would mean a big change (burning fat that might be older than other more peripheral fat, or a change in your basal temperature).

Weight loss is simple calories in vs. calories out. If you stay on plan eventually your body will have to dig into its fat stores, because not doing so will be more detrimental and require more energy expenditure than doing so. Just stay on course and try not to get too frustrated. It WILL go away.

Last edited by Katbot24; 07-04-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #3  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katbot24 View Post
Those numbers are really tough to push through because your body always tries to return to that number...
Setpoint theory is a good one but based on the OPs post she isn't dealing with a setpoint problem. She is just dealing with the need to be patient because as you mention - calories matter.

To the OP - water retention can go on for many weeks. Not just a couple. Going out to dinner a couple times can mess up your WEIGHT much more than you might expect and it doesn't mean you've gained all the fat due to the massive amount of sodium typcially consumed at any resturaunt.

My advice is just to be patient. Find an exercise you enjoy and do it three times a week for at least 30 minutes because it is extremely good for your health.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #4  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Agree with the others: wait it out.

Real food and exercise are better than meal replacements and no exercise though. Not necessarily for weight loss, but for your health and quality of life.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 205/183/155

Height: 5"8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietVet View Post
Agree with the others: wait it out.

Real food and exercise are better than meal replacements and no exercise though. Not necessarily for weight loss, but for your health and quality of life.
I know that,it's not something I was planning on doing for a while, I just wanted to get past that number and into the 170's and go back to counting calories and working out.

It's just so frustrating.
tleeiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #6  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I have to concur - keep up healthy eating and fitness for a good period of time - at least 40-60 days - before judging whether or not it worked for you. Patience is required and nobody ever lost weight by throwing up their hands in frustrating, right?

You can do it, but it takes lots of time and consistency. This isn't a race
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote