Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/177/150

Height: 5'2

Default No motivation to go to the gym?

I don't know what's just sucked all the energy out of me lately, but I'm finding that I'm lacking motivation to go to the gym. I've been creating excuses as to why I should go later, the next day, etc. In fact, yesterday I told myself not to to the gym that day because my chest was sore. It wasn't to the point of being unbearable, and I could've done at least some exercise there. Ugh.

I'm forcing myself to go today for an hour later tonight, but I still feel unmotivated. Sure, there's the want to be thinner, healthier, etc but it isn't really having any effect on me to change my attitude about exercising.

How do you all combat these types of feelings? I'm just going to have to drag my butt to the gym, but I kind of wish there was more positive feelings, you know?
ShetlandSheepdogLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #2  
Just watch me ...

How has your track record been? Is it that you've been going regularly and slacking off recently? Maybe you have burn-out? Too much exercise? Maybe it's time to switch-up on the exercises you do. Does your gym offer classes? Maybe do something out-doors - walking, biking?

How's your nutrition?
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #3  

I've been pretty good with my days at the gym. I've been at this for almost two weeks, and have been pretty consistent with going. Exercising for at least an hour each time I have the chance to go. I don't believe I'm doing too much exercise to the point where I've burnt-out, yet. Also, I quite like the gym. Not too keen on taking classes, I have a weird thing where I don't like to do activities with people I don't know. I'm fine with going outside, but the heat up here is driving me to the point of insanity.

But, I know myself really well, and I just stop doing things when I just start them. It's got a bit to do with being bored, yet I know there's something else to it that I just can't place my finger on...going to the gym will not be something I leave after a couple of weeks. It just can't happen.

My eating habits/nutrition is going pretty well, I've been pretty good with portion sizes and what I'm eating. I'm just not sure how to control carbs, yet. I feel like everything I eat is full of carbs, even though it's probably the opposite.

Last edited by ShetlandSheepdogLove; 07-03-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I never go to the gym, and I rarely lack a desire to exercise, because I'm doing things I love! (Unless running is on the schedule, then I have to drag myself.)
But, the other days I just do things I love:
- lift dumbbells at home
- yoga at home
- bike
-swim
-run
-kayak
- hike
- etc.

Can you find things that you love to do that feel like joy instead of obligations?
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #5  
Just watch me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShetlandSheepdogLove View Post
I've been pretty good with my days at the gym. I've been at this for almost two weeks, and have been pretty consistent with going. Exercising for at least an hour each time I have the chance to go. I don't believe I'm doing too much exercise to the point where I've burnt-out, yet. Also, I quite like the gym...
But, I know myself really well, and I just stop doing things when I just start them. It's got a bit to do with being bored, yet I know there's something else to it that I just can't place my finger on...going to the gym will not be something I leave after a couple of weeks. It just can't happen.

My eating habits/nutrition is going pretty well ...
I'm having the same issue with dropping things and I completely agree about the heat, which makes things much worse.

Could you just get to the gym and do one of the exercises you like? For me, I love leg presses. Sometimes when I'm lacking 'inspiration', I tell myself I'll just go to do leg presses and hit the sauna. It always turns out that I do something more. Or, Instead of doing 30 minutes on one cardio machine, I'll do 10 minutes on 3. Anything to mix things up.

There are a lot of free exercise sessions on you-tube, which you may want to check out. It's called FitnessBlender. May give you some inspiration to get out of your slump. Also, are you sure you wouldn't enjoy 'non-gym' activities such as zumba, dance, yoga? There are lots of things out there and it's all good.

Last edited by Exhale15; 07-03-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

Height: 5'5

Oii. I'm the master of excuses.
Today as I was working out, I was literally only 15 mins into the workout (Jillian Michael's Body Revolution) I was making excuses: "Hmm...I should vacuum. My yoga mat smells kind of bad...my toe hurts from these lunges, I should probably bake something for my neighbors RIGHT NOW"

Also I live right across the street from the gym. So. I should have no excuse, but that doesn't stop me from finding one.

So what I had to do was decide to work out at home because that eliminates most of my excuses.

Also someone around this website has a sig that's something like "There is no motivation, only choices" and I sort of shrugged it off until today. for some reason repeating that in my head over and over helped. I thought about every tiny action as a choice, and I expected myself to quit but I wanted to prove myself wrong. lol.

You might consider a home workout.

Also, are you depressed at all? D: I recently got on anti-depressants and though they haven't magically given me motivation I feel a little more upbeat and I'm less likely to make excuses...or act on them.

Anyway sorry, rambling...
Try an at home workout?
If you have a laptop, put your laptop on top of your TV, play the home made workout on the laptop, watch TV so it doesn't feel like you're actually doing anything. lol

Good luck.
Also congrats on realizing you're making excuses, because it took me a really long time to realize I was BSing myself. So good job there. You get my kudos
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #7  

Height: 5'5"

I'm quite goal-oriented, and I like to do something that I hadn't been sure I could do before. Run now, I plan to run a 5K, so that motivates me to follow my modified C25K plan. I also am really getting into lifting, and am looking for specific goals for that. I love to swim, and currently do it several days a week, in hopes of finding a tri after my 5K. Maybe fitness goals would help?
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #8  

Just got back. I honestly don't know why I make such a big deal of using excuses. I'm totally fine when in the gym and I like the atmosphere...Maybe I'm just a bit too lazy for my own good.

Thanks for all of the posts, it really shows that there are people here who are SO supportive in this world.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
I'm forcing myself to go today for an hour later tonight, but I still feel unmotivated. Sure, there's the want to be thinner, healthier, etc but it isn't really having any effect on me to change my attitude about exercising.
Quote:
Just got back. I honestly don't know why I make such a big deal of using excuses. I'm totally fine when in the gym and I like the atmosphere...Maybe I'm just a bit too lazy for my own good.
Sometimes forcing yourself to exercise is the best thing you can do... I do it all the time, once I'm at the gym, start slowly and work myself up to a good sweat I'm happy... I never, ever regret going to the gym or doing some kind of workout....

Sometimes we just gotta DO IT!!

Last edited by Ilene; 07-04-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #10  
Just watch me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
Sometimes forcing yourself to exercise is the best thing you can do... I do it all the time, once I'm at the gym, start slowly and work myself up to a good sweat I'm happy... I never, ever regret going to the gym or doing some kind of workout....

Sometimes we just gotta DO IT!!
So true. I've never regretted a workout.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #11  

I find that when I only exercise at my gym, I tend to burnout. The annoyances that I used to find minor become a HUGE INJUSTICE (i.e. there is never any parking!)!

Some things that help me:

1. I have a membership to a chain gym, so I have access to all the different branches. Going to the different branches allows me to try different equipment, take classes with different instructor (i.e. when I have a free Saturday morning, I will take the 50 minute subway to my Downtown to take a cardio kickbox class because it is *that* kickass!)

2. A few years, I bought into a condo building with a gym. Suddenly, I have options. If the parking nightmare at my nearby gym is too much for me to handle, I will workout at home. Before this move, I was never much of a treadmill guy (I preferred my classes or the eliptical or bike), but now I run the treadmill the majority of the week. My condo gym also helps when my work schedule is crazy.

3. Community centers. Again, some fantastic instructors.

4. Outdoors. I hate working out outdoors but apparently other people do. But I will workout outdoors if the other options are not available.

So, give yourself different options when it comes to exercise. So, when you're fed up with your gym, you can exercise elsewhere.

Last edited by memememe76; 07-07-2012 at 12:35 AM.
memememe76 is offline   Reply With Quote