Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #1  
No description available.

Default The Couch to 5K (C25K) Running Plan Thread #2

Hi all! The last thread (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exer...an-thread.html) is very long, so I need to close it. Feel free to pick up your conversation in this thread.

Last edited by midwife; 06-27-2012 at 11:55 AM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 113/see my ticker/95

Height: 174 cm

Well, shall I start? I just finished W5D1. I had to take a week break from running as I was suffering with a bad cold and fevers. I felt quite apprehensive as for where to start after this break: should I repeat week 4, or move ahead? I then decided to try and move forward and boy am I glad I did!!

W5D1 felt great. I finally got a running app and it motivated me to run faster. In these three times five minutes I run 2k in total and I was SO proud, never thought I would be ever able to run. And what more, it felt quite easy! I feel so encouraged right now, it just really feels great to run like this.

Last edited by Ronja; 06-29-2012 at 03:29 AM.
Ronja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:34 AM   #3  

Sophie seems our plans are exactly same! I used to run in the evening, but some days it's just too hot and other days I'm way too tired. So I moved my running days to Friday, Sunday and Wednesday when my husband can take care of the girls in the morning. Morning runs rock!

Swanz from what I heard, it is important to keep the days off, because it's when your muscles are actually getting stronger. While running every day would probably not directly slow down your loss, it might make running too strenuous for you. If you really want to accelerate weight loss, I would focus on diet and keep the calories down. Running is great to get you in shape but as a beginner you won't be burning too much calories. I run 2k today and burnt (according to my app) 180 calories. Not that much!

Last edited by Ronja; 06-29-2012 at 03:35 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 172/165/132

Height: 5'8"

I have recently finished a Couch to 5k plan and can remember how amazing it felt when I managed to complete the first couple of "longer" runs. In the plan I did, it jumped from 8 minutes of non-stop running, to 20 minutes the next week! Is it like that in the plans you do as well?
Anyway, I was terrified but I turned out I could do the 20 minutes just fine, and building on that up to 30 minutes/5k was a piece of cake.

At this point, my runs average around 40 minutes and slightly over 5k. Jogging for longer seems to come easy to me, but I can't seem to keep up a faster pace. Anything faster than 12 km/h and I get exhausted really quickly. I want to work on that but don't really know where to start! I am now using the "Zombies, run!" app on my smartphone and I do increase my speed during a "zombie chase", but I can't seem to keep it up for very long. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Oh, and I've also been running about five times a week (in not-too-busy weeks). Very pleased with myself! Skipping my "day off" would have been hard for me in the beginning, but I'm fine now!

Last edited by runthecontinent; 06-29-2012 at 07:12 AM.
runthecontinent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #5  
I can do hard things.

S/C/G: 310/ticker,baby/160

Height: 5'7"

Today is W5D3 for me.... Seems those longer runs are about to hit me hard. Looking at those numbers, Ronja, I think it would be too much. Thanks!
swanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:52 AM   #6  
Getting started

S/C/G: 260/tricker/159

Height: 5' 7''

Hello Everyone, :-)

I have just started with the C25K program yesterday after eyeing it for about 2 years now and loosing about 20 kg before my apprehension about any joint troubles from running has decreased enough to seriously give it a go. It also helped to have moved to a place where there is a nice runner's track just within a half hour's walk from my home that allows to run on very soft surface.

I was not really sure what to expect as I used to hate running in PE classes, I was always slow, falling behind, out of breath, the typical symptoms of an overweight teenage girl and thus it has never been an experience that I associated with success.

So I was apprehensive of running, the other runners - the real ones - who might get angry at me for using the track while not really being able to run yet and still concerned about joint issues due to the extra weight.

But I went and I am so glad that I did! Because my joints feel fine for now, I was able to do W1D1, there was no negative feedback or angriness directed at me that I would have perceived and a girl running by even gave me a thumbs-up. I thought that was pretty awesome of her. When I see people biking, running to that track, especially people who are not in perfect shape yet, I always think good for you, respect. But getting that kind of support from a complete stranger felt, very motivating.

So overall, I just wanted to share that starting out slowly and carefully can be a very good experience and far less intimidating than I had imagined and I would like to encourage anyone who might be reading this and pondering whether or not to give it a go.

My lesson's learned were the following:
  • Good quality sports bras are a very good investment - try different support levels, there is a world of difference there I would have never thought possible in the first place!
  • Water and some sugar tablets are essentials for me as a carry-on
  • It pays off to read up on what kind of shoes to get
  • And having shared about my plans with those close to me really helped to sway me into starting when my courage crumbled a bit
  • I can actually do this!

My goal is to complete the program by end of September, making it my summer fitness challenge. I wish everyone much enjoyment and fun in working on their own goals and look forward to participating in this thread with you!
Lizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #7  
running myself skinny

S/C/G: 191/ticker/140

Height: 5'4 1/2

Starting C25K today! Can't wait to start feeling more in shape!
taramade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 163.2/143.6/120

Height: 5'3"

I just finished W5D1 and W5D2 today. I am so surprised that jogging for 8 minutes straight was easier than I thought it would be.

runthecontinent - I looked ahead to see the time for W5D3 and it jumps to jogging 20 minutes straight. I was kind of shocked because I didn't think it would start that soon. I see that the 20 minutes wasn't bad for you so I will be thinking the same. Thanks!

Lizz- I like your tips. I definitely need to get new sports bras.

Good luck to everyone else!
Eliza31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 172/165/132

Lizz - Hear, hear! on the sport bra comment! I only have one (the best support level I could find as I'm pretty big-bosomed), and I cannot believe the difference. Will never run without one again. Also, how exactly do you carry water on your runs? I always a dry mouth when I run but never take water because I wouldn't know how..

Eliza31 - I'm almost sorry I told you about the 20 minute thing, haha. I remember how shocked I was when I heard they wanted to have me run for so long. But really: it should be fine.

I have found I manage much better or worse depending on what and when I've eaten. I try to have at least a decent snack (like a banana) about half an hour before a run and lots of water a like ten minutes before taking off. Afterwards I usually eat something, about 20 minutes after my run. I'm pretty fond of bananas before AND after actually. I eat lots of bananas.. to much probably. What do you eat before and after? I could probably use some suggestions for new workout foods.
runthecontinent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #10  
Still Chubby

S/C/G: 79.8/72.5/66kg

Height: 172cm

I fell off the weightloss wagon for a few months (as has happened repeatedly) but now I'm back! I've known about the C25k program for a while now, but having found the App that tells me exactly what to do...I finally went out and bought some running shoes and socks (I wear skirts/dresses exclusively, so I honestly didn't own any socks). Now all I need is a sports bra and some bottoms. Do they make running skirts? Skorts? Must look into it.

My friend Andy is going to be doing the program with me, but he's in a lot better shape. I think hes just humoring me. He is getting new running shoes by next Monday but I think I should start Week 1 without him and he can jump in on Week 2?

Anyway, I look forward to sweating with you ladies!
tinneranne2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #11  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Hi everyone!

I'd love to jump in here. I did week 2, day 3 yesterday. I have 2 bad knees (ACL repair and chondromalacia), and plantar fasciitis in both feet. I hadn't even considered running til a friend of mine gave me a friendly push. I got fitted for new sneakers, bought an industrial strength sports bra, a couple running skorts, and I'M DOING IT!

I did the week 1 workouts 4 times, and I plan to keep to that pattern. I want to take it slow on purpose, and not piss off my knees or feet. I don't care if it takes 10, 12 or 16 weeks - I'll just be thrilled to complete the program.

Yesterday I was shocked to see that even though I'm purposely not trying to go fast, I went 0.2 miles further than the previous workout. So I am improving! Yay me!!

Tinnerane, I got my skorts off ebay, but they're Land's End and LL Bean brand. I've seen other brands out there, but those 2 have bigger pockets so I can carry my ID and key and lip balm. My phone gets stuffed in my bra, though.
eta - nice shirt! I'm a huge Young Dubliners fan.

Last edited by Riddy; 07-02-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:47 AM   #12  

Lizz that's a great summary of your experiences. I hope you enjoy the program as much as I do!

Tara welcome on the board. You will feel in a better shape in no time!

I remember I was TERRIFIED when I was supposed to run three minutes. And that's just three weeks ago! Today was my W5D3 and I was supposed to run 20 minutes. I however needed 23.5 minutes to complete prescribed 3 km. I am incredibly proud I did it. And it was not really all that difficult! It's just like weight loss: you don't see any difference from one day to another, but if you stick to in, one day you find out you lost lot of weight and you don't even remember how it happened.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:09 AM   #13  

Hey guys.
How do you keep track of how far you have run? Do you use phone apps? I run with my mp3 player because I'm concerned my phone is huge and will fall out of my pocket. Maybe when I reach my next mini-goal I should invest in one of those arm sleeves for your phone... I have done the C25K programme on and off since October time, but don't think I've ever run for 30 minutes solid, managed 25 minutes on Monday, today's challenge is to reach the 30
starfired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #14  

I use a phone app, but I do not have an arm sleeve for my phone so I just hold the phone in my hand and look silly. I should totally get one!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #15  

Boom, 30 minutes run, total route including 10 mins walking came to only 3 miles though, need to work on speed!
starfired is offline   Reply With Quote