Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 158/158/125

Height: 5'4

Default Best whole foods/healthy living books you've ever read

Title is pretty self explanatory. I need a new read to encourage me and motivate me to more to lead a healthiest lifestyle I possible could.
sensualappeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

I just finished reading 'Animal, Vegetable, Miracle'. It is about eating locally and sustainability following a year in the life of a family being self sufficient. Not that new of a book but a good read.
pluckypear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #3  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

I liked "SuperFoodsRX" and "SuperFoods HealthStyle" by Dr. Pratt.

"Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy" by Dr. Walter Willet (an oldie but goodie).

Most anything you read by Dr. Andrew Weil (visit his website for some info...http://www.drweil.com). Same with Dr. Mercola (http://www.mercola.com/)...even though both sell products, they have to make money some way (I don't buy any of their products, though I did try some of Dr. Weil's supplements previously)...but the info on their website is great.

Two books, "Skinny B*tch" and "The Engine 2 Diet", both vegetarian based (I'm not totally vegetarian).

I'm currently reading "The New Sonoma Diet" (Dr. Weil is a big fan of the Mediterranean way of eating and the Sonoma diet).

Also, Michael Pollan - http://michaelpollan.com/books/ - I've read "Food Rules", "In Defense of Food", and "The Omnivore's Dilemma".

Last edited by Cheree; 04-01-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Cheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #4  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Okay, this is a slightly different recommendation but it was a great book. "The Dirty Life" by Kristin Kimball is about a young couple starting up a farm that will be a CSA. It made me really appreciate the hard work that goes in to providing excellent tasty healthy locally grown food. Paying more for my local food is easier now with what I learned in "The Dirty Life". It's also a love story and really well written. I can't recommend it enough.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 158/158/125

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladadog View Post
Okay, this is a slightly different recommendation but it was a great book. "The Dirty Life" by Kristin Kimball is about a young couple starting up a farm that will be a CSA. It made me really appreciate the hard work that goes in to providing excellent tasty healthy locally grown food. Paying more for my local food is easier now with what I learned in "The Dirty Life". It's also a love story and really well written. I can't recommend it enough.
Interesting, I might look into it.

& I read the Omnivore's Dilemma which had a huge impact on why I don't eat chicken anymore.
sensualappeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/184/140

Height: 5'5"

I was really inspired by Skinny ***** as well; it really kick-started my move towards less animal products.

Two books I read recently that I got something out of were Patrick Holford's "The Optimum Nutrition for the Mind" (which I found helpful for things like mood swings and even mental clarity) and Kimberly Snyder's "The Beauty Detox Solution" which highly promotes whole, nutritious foods and living. They both presented some interesting ideas which you might find useful.

I also just finished Eat to Live as well, which again, had some interesting ideas that I'm trying at the moment. Snyder's book is very similar - both promoting plant-heavy diets with whole grains, no dairy and very little/no animal protein. Snyder's book also spends some time talking about digestion and how essential proper digestion is for overall health and weight control which I found helpful.

Anyway, that's my contribution but I'd love to check out other ones mentioned on this thread too. I have such a hard time reading anything that talks about the atrocities that happen to animals in factory farming, though it's important to know these things.

Best of luck
Dernhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 229/174/150

Height: 5'9"

I second Pluckypear "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle."
beachlover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladadog View Post
Thanks for the tip I now have this book on hold at the library.

beachlover86Glad you loved the book too. It has changed my life. I was vegetarian and then vegan for 20 plus years. I now consider other options and value shopping locally. I go to Farmer's Markets most weekends and have not purchased bananas for some time. I am just trying things.
pluckypear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:20 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/185/123-125

Height: 5'1"

I love Marion Nestle's "What to Eat". Basically Nestle takes you through the supermarket, aisle by aisle, and talks about what's there, how it's made, what to look for, and what to buy. Much of it is stuff that many of us who are into whole foods know, but the way she presents it, with humor and intelligence, is what really made it informative for me. Definitely worth getting.

Djuna
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #10  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

I would second Omnivore's Dilemma, excellent.

If scientific data and studies on why things are really great for you, I highly recommend the Perfect Health Diet. (The Jaminet's also blog extensively, so google it and take a gander at what they're about.)

Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon is a gold standard for food politics/reclaiming traditional knowledge of food preparation, though the book is mostly recipes.

Another site that always gets me super-psyched to eat well is World's Healthiest Foods (whfoods.com). It's basically an encyclopedia of why X fruit or vegetable is healthy for you! It also has a nifty calculator where it will ask about your current diet, estimate nutrients you might be deficient in, and provide healthy recipes for foods that are high in the nutrients you aren't eating a lot of. I LOVE that site.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:35 AM   #11  

Read The China Study. Very amazing research, incredibly insightful, WILL change your life

Also.. if you just want some pretty recipes to motivate you, pictures to look at and even get a DVD with how to do it all.. get Going Raw. Most AMAZING and beautiful cook book ever.
VickyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #12  
RawFoodie Maintainer :)

Height: 5'5

I have a bunch of Raw/Vegan recipe books and my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE is 'Going Raw' by Judita Wignall.

Last edited by InspiredBy; 11-03-2012 at 12:30 AM.
InspiredBy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #13  

Height: 5'8.5"

I agree about Michael Pollan... I haven't read his books but have watched a lot of his videos on YouTube and find them very educational and inspirational.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote