Old 07-03-2012, 01:27 AM   #1  

Exclamation Ready to make the call...I think

Can you guys please give me your honest opinions about the plan?? What is it like?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Last edited by g11bug; 07-05-2012 at 09:29 PM.
g11bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 314/see ticker/165

Height: 5'4"

I have just started last month, already lost 13.5 lbs and I also need to lose about 150 lbs or more. I think it depends on the center, my center is not high pressure at all. They do tell you about there pills but they do tell you they aren't required the only thing required is their protein drinks and I have only purchased once so far and havent been pressured to purchase any more. so far I am liking it.
aw82797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 192.5/163.4/160

Height: 5'8"

In my opinion, it is both. The basic diet is very effective by itself, and they claim all these supplements make it more so. And different centers seem to be more pushy than others. Mine was at first, but I held my ground about what I would and wouldn't buy and now they never push anything. It really bugs me that they make claims but have zero data to back their claims. No way I would take pills without some credible info backing their effectiveness.

The protein supplements are essential and the cost really adds up. Some people buy them elsewhere but the cost isn't that much different, in my experience. You really need to make sure you understand what you will need to buy, or it will feel like a money pit. (do you have insurance? I have heard weight loss is now covered by some, awesome)

The diet is not for the faint of heart. it's very strict and the most successfull people seem to follow it as told rather than substitute this or that, and tweak it here and there. I tend to think it is unnecessarily rigid - but maybr that's just me. you probably already know that it is ketogenic, like Atkins, but also more rigid than Atkins, for some reason that I don't totally understand.

But on the other hand, you lose fast, and you can still eat in restaurants if you have to, unlike Medfast and those kinds of diets with packaged foods.

Finally, I would say there is a big difference in counselors. They are not highly educated or highly trained, and you might hear one thing from one and another thing from another. Some are also pushier than others. I would bet they are on commission. And some are way too young and skinny to really relate to the problems of an obese adult woman.

That said, others are really great. I was about to quit when the manager of my center contacted me by email asking how she could help. Since then I only see her, and have felt much more motivated.

I think the bottom line is know what you are getting into and be assertive about getting out of it what you need. As you can see, this board is also very helpful.

Good luck.
camaswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #4  

Height: 5' 5"

The only things that are "required" are your HNS (High Nutrion Supplement) drinks (aka the protein drinks they sell), a multi-vitamin (can purchase anywhere) and your EFA supplements (Fish Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Krill Oil...you can purchase these anywhere).

Anything else you purchase from the center is optional and up to you. Today's economy makes it easier to tell them no. I have found some of their products work for me and I purchase them. However, what works for one person may not work for the next. I've learned by trial and error.

Whatever your decide, I wish you the best of luck on your journey.
JenB72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 234.5/158/165

I'm the same way - I was very nervous about the cost... we had already been through the program with my husband so we were aware of the HNS cost and other things... but I also knew that, with the commitment and right mind-set, the program does work.

My husband lost 115 pounds on it 6 years ago and has kept it off. He does extremely well with it still. I have lost 76 pounds with the program and have had my ups and downs but have managed to keep the majority of it off.

One thing I loved about the program is the support... but I have a few counselors I just prefer to go to. Like others have said, I relate better to the ones who have struggled previously with weight and have maintained their loss... the ones that are naturally skinny just don't seem to "get it" but that's just me.

I do take some of the supplements, depending upon what I've struggled with. For me (and this is just my personal opinion/body type) I love the CortiTrim and MRC-6. They just help to suppress my appetite and make me feel more in-control. There may be no scientific data to back it up but it's what has worked for me and I just have to do what I feel is best for my body.

Again, what works for one may not work for another... and that's okay. We are all on different journeys and we have all different body/chemical/hormone make-ups. One thing I loved about the program was learning how my body reacted to different things - I have different situations and trigger foods that I know will cause me to want to eat more... and for me, it's a slippery slope. Once I start, it's so hard for me to stop.

But, diatribe over, welcome!
rachels77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/ticker/148

Height: 5'11

Definitely make the call! This program has been the only thing that has seriously allowed me to lose weight. It works if you stick with it, even if you don't take the supplements. Some of the consultants will really push hard to get you to buy stuff though. I was having a great week and lost some great weight and inches and a new consultant was STILL telling me I needed all this stuff and a hormone test...Im only 25 and feel fine! Like the others said, be firm. Find a consultant that you get along great with who will truly support you. The biggest things are the HNS's and a good multi vitamin and fish oil.
it's a life style change, and at times it can be frustrating, but stick to it and it works like a charm. And this site is great for support and tips!
The Jolly Green Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 314/see ticker/165

Height: 5'4"

what I like about the program is it honestly teaches you to change your thinking and eating habits, it only takes 21 days to form a habit so by the time you lose the weight the right food choices should be ingrained in your head :0) unlike gastric bypass that doesn't teach you anything.
aw82797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #8  

Yes, make the call! I have lost 65 pounds, and still want to lose about 15 more. My counselors have been great, and I do have some of my favorites and try to make my appointments with one of them. The ones at my center have all had weight problems and have been great. I do take the Big 3 -- Phenetrim, MRC6 and Cortitrim. And yes, it is expensive. I started out drinking 5 protein drinks a day, and I really think the extra protein really helped me. But, I do know others that only use the drinks and are losing. So, I think it is up to the individual. But, from someone that has been in the "Losing" business many times, this is working for me and I have come to realize that this new way of eating is a new lifetime comittment. Good luck!
JodiH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 192.5/163.4/160

Height: 5'8"

When I first started reading this board, a lot of people were bashing their centers. It is really great to read this thread and be reminded of how much help a lot of people have actually gotten. Especially people who have lost a lot more wieght the me. A lot of the counselors really do care and work hard to help us. I enjoyed reading all these, made me feel good about hanging in with MRC.big hope the person who posted the question signs on!
camaswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 189.5 / 145.5 / 140

Height: 5' 4"

I am in my 3rd week and couldn't be happier with MRC. I'm on a limited budget, so I'm only doing the protein supplements and taking my own vitamins and fish oil. They suggest other supplements at each WI, but I decline. The program will only work as well as you follow it. So far, so good for me!
rwquilts is offline   Reply With Quote