Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/130

Height: 5'9" Age: 19

Default Is it normal to suck this badly?

Today I started Jillian Michael's 'Ripped in 30'.

It's my first serious attempt at improving my fitness. I lost 90lb by walking and eating well, but I've never lifted weights or anything like that. Exercise just wasn't apart of the plan until now.

So today I learned that I can't do crunches. Not a single one! I layed on that mat like a fish out of water. When it came to the butt lift, I couldn't do that either. And I can't see how it's even possible for me to touch my toes.

I made it through the workout, from start to finish, and poured buckets of sweat. But I feel like it's futile, and I won't see results.

I would have like to start off with something a little easier, but I can't really get my money back now. Has anyone else been able to catch up and keep up with R130, or any other program that you felt like you weren't prepared for?
Ramra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #2  
Trying.....

S/C/G: 248/ticker/175

Height: 5'9

I have never tried ripped in 30 but I felt that way when I first tried spin and a total body conditioning class they used to have at my gym. I would go to my "happy place" (like an upcoming vacation, my family, my friends, etc) and that helped a lot. Crunches are not easy if you are just starting out but they do eventually get easier. Set little goals like this time I will do one, then two the next time, etc. Core muscles are hard to get into shape. if they weren't everyone would have six pack abs.

When you do the crunch, exhale when you are going up. This flattens your belly and somewhat moves stuff out of the way. The less there is in front of you the easier it will become.

Keep at it. Crunches will come and eventually you will be able to do 25, 50, or 100 without thinking about it!
brvsfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #3  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Don't be so hard on yourself. We all have to start somewhere. If you can't finish all the repetitions of an exercise that's fine, next time you do the workout try to add a few more, and then next time try for a few more. No one starts out running a marathon!
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #4  
One Day at a Time

S/C/G: 227/156/149

Height: 5'7"

Default Totally normal to "suck"

I am on level 4 of ripped in 30, and it has taken me much longer than 30 days to get to this level- more like ripped in 120 - and yes, there were plenty of exercises, ESP the burpees, froggers, etc that I couldn't get through a circuit- I have stayed w it - 5 days a week since spring and it is well worth it

Looking at your loss, my goodness, you are amazing- I am sure your weight loss took work and time- this challenge should be easy (eventually) given what you have already accomplished!
princessbgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #5  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

Jillian is not easy for a reason but if you stick with it,Do what you can continue to try do something you can in the spots you CAN NOT do THAT you can do something. You will gain strength and be so proud of yourself! And find you will challenge your self. NEVER give up!!
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #6  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

I did P90X last year which is well known for it's difficulty. I bought Ripped in 30 with the intent that it would be kind of a break for me. Um, no. Ripped in 30 is HARD and it seriously kicked my butt. Don't give up! You might not be able to do everything right now but just try. Do what you can. I bet you'll be sore the next day, which is proof it's working what it's supposed to work. Modify what you need to. I can't do butt lifts either, so I do a different exercise during that move.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #7  
loving my beautiful self

I remember trying to stretch (and touch my toes!) when I first started, and it seemed impossible. Little by little, though, the daily stretches turned my body into a more limber version of itself and the small, daily attempts led to a pretty awesome outcome. We all have different capacities when it comes to certain forms of exercise -- perhaps you would rock at something you haven't had a chance to try yet! Whatever you try, though, the more you keep at it, the stronger you'll get and the easier the movements will become, and it'll be entirely worth the effort!

Last edited by beautifulone; 07-02-2012 at 08:22 PM.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #8  
Just watch me ...

You've done great to get to this point
Just as it was difficult to change your habits to lose the weight, now you have a new challenge. Check out 'FitnessBlender' on YouTube...they have all sorts of fitness 'classes' including some nice beginner ones. And it's free and there's tons of stuff
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #9  
Warrior Princess

Don't give up! I suggest you start with 30 Day Shred for as long as you need to (I did it for 90 days) and then work up to Ripped in 30. You CAN do it...I thought I was going to DIE when I started Jillian, never ever did I think I would make it this far. I was in horrible shape. Good luck!
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

for flexibility, stretch right after you get out of the shower or bath. Your muscles stretch more easily then.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote