Old 06-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/145/135

Height: 5.3

Default Exercise on IP??? What are people doing???

I was advised not to exercise or break a sweat. I have been on IP 1 week and before I joined I was going to the YMCA. I really don't want to get out of the gym routine, it was really hard to get into it!! My Coach says to stop going until I am done with phase 1 and I don't agree. I want to know is this just a way to slow down my weight loss so I am in phase 1 longer and buying their food longer???

Any words of wisdom on this topic? What works for you or what your coach says about exercise? Thanks for helping out the Newbie!!
sweetsloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/150/147

Height: 5'2"

When I exercised, I did build muscle, but did not lose fat. The goal of this diet- in phase 1, is to lose fat. Stretching and slow burn exercises are fine. Walking, too. After I got used to less exercise, I started spending extra time on other hobbies like sewing and gardening. I am happy now---and losing weight(fat).
dizzyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

I don't agree with your coach and neither would my coach. Mine told me not to exercise for only the first three weeks till my body adjusted to the new eating plan. After that I could workout, but no heavy cardio, and make sure I had some protein right after or right before my workout.

Now I strength train every other day for about 30 minutes and on my off days I generally walk.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #4  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

I was advised by my coach to avoid exercise the first 2 weeks, then to pick it up at a very low intensity afterwards. Low heartrate, no huffing, puffing, sweating. We are EXTREMELY low at ~900 calories, if you add in too much exercise (particularly too soon when you are still setting up the enzymatic machinery to get efficient at ketosis) you will go into starvation mode and your body will turn to burning muscle for quick energy (and you do NOT want that!). This is a very different diet than any other - low calorie, ketosis based - it's designed to work with the 3 IP packets + dinner + veggies with no exercise. If you start to add in working out you will DEFINITELY need to add in a 4th packet (I can tell the difference on lift days!).

Personally, I walked ~2-2.5miles/day at a VERY LOW intensity (~20-25minute/miles) since day 1. But this was a 'non-negotiable' since it was me walking with my son to the park, and there is no way I was going to deprive my son of playtime. I never needed to add in a packet for that - but like I said, I did it slow, and did time my snack to be right before we left so I had the calories needed (and had a 45minute break in between). I was cleared to restart 'working out' after Week 2, but held off until Week 8 to restart up my 1-hour weightlifting class. This is also when I started adding in a restricted daily. I lift ~25% less weight at 2x/week and just recently bumped it up to 3x/week. Again, I don't go crazy like I used to, but I did want to work on muscle tone and maintaining lean body mass. I've cut down on the walking as we moved to the indoor play area at the mall, but I'd like to concentrate on picking back up the mall walking.

I just came from my coach's workshop where she went through the whole biological process of ketosis and glucogenisis. Honestly, not sure I agree 100% with absolutely no exercise throughout Phase 1 - but I definitely don't think that over-exercising will help speed things up - too much and it will hinder your weight loss. A slow, steady 'fat burning zone' workout is recommended in Phase 1 by my coach. And listen to your body! Also make sure to log your food, activity, and how you feel so you know when tweaks need to be made.

FYI, here's my routine:
Tue&Thur: bfast@8am, lunch@12pm, snack@4pm, restricted@6pm, lift@6:30-7:30pm, dinner@8pm
Sat: restricted@8am, lift@8:30-9:30am, snack@10am, lunch@12pm, snack@4pm, dinner@8pm
MWF: bfast@8am, lunch@12pm, restricted@4pm, walk@5pm, dinner@8pm

Last edited by LizRR; 06-29-2012 at 01:27 PM.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #5  
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP

S/C/G: 149/146/115

Height: 5'3

On Week 5 I started doing eliptical 3-4 times a week, but very low intensity and only for 30 minutes. I don't even sweat at all, but it helps speed up the weight loss!
paulimapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #6  

LizRR,
Thanks so much. I wish my coach had a workshop like that. Last night was my first weigh in and food to start for week 2. She handed me a bag and said "here is week 2" I felt so rushed and left with so many unanswered questions. It looks like you have had a constant stream of successful weight loss so you are doing it right! I appreciate the time you put into your reply and I will act on your suggestions.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsloan View Post
LizRR,
Thanks so much. I wish my coach had a workshop like that. Last night was my first weigh in and food to start for week 2. She handed me a bag and said "here is week 2" I felt so rushed and left with so many unanswered questions. It looks like you have had a constant stream of successful weight loss so you are doing it right! I appreciate the time you put into your reply and I will act on your suggestions.
It chaps my hide to hear about these coaches who just rush you out the door! A keystone of the whole protocol is having that personal coach to help you out and answer your questions - not just weigh, measure, and sell you food! I LOVE my coach, and she has made it clear she cares about our lifelong success - she goes out of her way to always be available via email, text, and phone outside of our weekly meetings. And the workshops she puts on are EXCELLENT - and are done on her own time & effort. She takes the time to answer my questions and give me a REAL answer backed up by fact - not a personal opinion.

Apologies if I seemed a little wordy in my previous post as I still have her info fresh on my brain. But the gist of what I was advised was to lay low the first 2 weeks, then incorporate lower intensity adding in a 4th packet. I was advised to add in the restricted then, since she knew I had been all unrestricted before that. Basically exactly what Dana and paulimapi said as well.

Last edited by LizRR; 06-29-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #8  

LizRR,
No apologies needed, I am determined to make this work and if I can’t get the info from my coach, then I will get it somewhere!! You are exactly what I need and I do appreciate the “wordiness” !!! Our numbers are close to the same and you clearly have had success, so I am thrilled to have you “coach me”
Old 06-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 178/148/133

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post
I was advised by my coach to avoid exercise the first 2 weeks, then to pick it up at a very low intensity afterwards. Low heartrate, no huffing, puffing, sweating. We are EXTREMELY low at ~900 calories, if you add in too much exercise (particularly too soon when you are still setting up the enzymatic machinery to get efficient at ketosis) you will go into starvation mode and your body will turn to burning muscle for quick energy (and you do NOT want that!). This is a very different diet than any other - low calorie, ketosis based - it's designed to work with the 3 IP packets + dinner + veggies with no exercise. If you start to add in working out you will DEFINITELY need to add in a 4th packet (I can tell the difference on lift days!).

Personally, I walked ~2-2.5miles/day at a VERY LOW intensity (~20-25minute/miles) since day 1. But this was a 'non-negotiable' since it was me walking with my son to the park, and there is no way I was going to deprive my son of playtime. I never needed to add in a packet for that - but like I said, I did it slow, and did time my snack to be right before we left so I had the calories needed (and had a 45minute break in between). I was cleared to restart 'working out' after Week 2, but held off until Week 8 to restart up my 1-hour weightlifting class. This is also when I started adding in a restricted daily. I lift ~25% less weight at 2x/week and just recently bumped it up to 3x/week. Again, I don't go crazy like I used to, but I did want to work on muscle tone and maintaining lean body mass. I've cut down on the walking as we moved to the indoor play area at the mall, but I'd like to concentrate on picking back up the mall walking.

I just came from my coach's workshop where she went through the whole biological process of ketosis and glucogenisis. Honestly, not sure I agree 100% with absolutely no exercise throughout Phase 1 - but I definitely don't think that over-exercising will help speed things up - too much and it will hinder your weight loss. A slow, steady 'fat burning zone' workout is recommended in Phase 1 by my coach. And listen to your body! Also make sure to log your food, activity, and how you feel so you know when tweaks need to be made.

FYI, here's my routine:
Tue&Thur: bfast@8am, lunch@12pm, snack@4pm, restricted@6pm, lift@6:30-7:30pm, dinner@8pm
Sat: restricted@8am, lift@8:30-9:30am, snack@10am, lunch@12pm, snack@4pm, dinner@8pm
MWF: bfast@8am, lunch@12pm, restricted@4pm, walk@5pm, dinner@8pm
LizRR - thanks so much for posting this. I'm trying to get back into a workout routine. They say our class burns 800-900 calories in an hour.. it can be pretty intense. I'm going to *try* and lower my intensity. It's tough for me; I always want to go all out. I really appreciate you posting your eating regimen. I've been wondering about the possibility of 'giving' my body some extra carbs on work out days - and it looks like you are doing that. I need to fix my timing - but your outline is so very helpful. thanks!
I will make sure I start logging again as I get back on the workout schedule.
have a great weekend
Renee
reneepw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:33 AM   #10  
Ideal Protein April 27/12

S/C/G: 215 / Ticker / 165

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneepw View Post
LizRR - thanks so much for posting this. I'm trying to get back into a workout routine. They say our class burns 800-900 calories in an hour.. it can be pretty intense. I'm going to *try* and lower my intensity. It's tough for me; I always want to go all out. I really appreciate you posting your eating regimen. I've been wondering about the possibility of 'giving' my body some extra carbs on work out days - and it looks like you are doing that. I need to fix my timing - but your outline is so very helpful. thanks!
I will make sure I start logging again as I get back on the workout schedule.
have a great weekend
Renee
Keep in mind a couple things...
We are only taking in 800-900 calories...so burning 800-900 would be far too intense...also Lizrr can correct me, but as far as I understand, she, and the others that exercise are adding extra protein, not carbs. Too many carbs can kick us out of ketosis which will set you back up to a week. So while exercise is considered the norm with most any diet plan, it can be very counter productive on IP...
Longhorn Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Energy View Post
Keep in mind a couple things...
We are only taking in 800-900 calories...so burning 800-900 would be far too intense...also Lizrr can correct me, but as far as I understand, she, and the others that exercise are adding extra protein, not carbs. Too many carbs can kick us out of ketosis which will set you back up to a week. So while exercise is considered the norm with most any diet plan, it can be very counter productive on IP...
I'm "thinking" the extra carbs are in the form of a restricted IP? I still only have 1 restricted day, I only added that in when I started lifting. But as Longhorn said, yes - my addition was an extra IP protein (from 3 to 4 packets) per my coach.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #12  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulimapi View Post
On Week 5 I started doing eliptical 3-4 times a week, but very low intensity and only for 30 minutes. I don't even sweat at all, but it helps speed up the weight loss!
I also started back with light periods (only 15-20 minute sessions) of being on the elliptical last week. I lost 2 lbs - but for the first time in many weeks I lost lean muscle mass. Previously my lean muscle mass has been steadily increasing, and overall body fat % lowering. That was reversed at this week's WI. I guess I'll stop with the elliptical and just stick to walking again for a while. I do not want to lose muscle mass.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 194.4/188.3/134

Height: 5'1"

this is a terrific thread thank you all for your posts...i have a marathon in october and fully intend to do it, I dont mind run/walking it and my times are typically around5:40-6hours so I dont have to huff and puff so to speak, especially if I will be carrying less weight...i will have finished week 2 tomorrow, so i am intending to start regular walking monday, but will be gradually increasing the duration/distance.
i really appreciate your post LizRR. I am using alternatives, and quite honestly have not studied the plan enough to know what restricted and non restricted are. I was thinking i was going to add in either another shake and/or eat an extra 2 0z of protien at lunch or dinner.
When I have trained in the past I would always have a protien shake after the workout as it helps muscle to repair.
I am only going to be doing 2-3 miles the first week back so I really do not anticipate needing too much more than what I am doing currently, but will keep track.
thanks again and i really appreciate your posts!
BLUEJEWEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 196.6/130/134

Height: 5'2

Default THANK YOU For THIS THREAD

I hope that I am not repeating myself too often. I have gone from a rather physical job, teaching first-grade, to a summer vacation. Prior to ending the school year, I was losing some lean muscle mass each week. My coach had added HB eggs, then packets, then egg whites...in that order, to stop the muscle loss. It worked. Then, school ended, and BINGO, the muscle loss ended and the fat loss dramatically increased.
That was two weeks ago. I have since been given the go ahead to exersize. Now, I am in summer mode, relaxing, enjoying my new body, and I am feeling like I really want to get out and about...explore everything that I have missed since gaining all this weight! I have been taking low intentsity walks and most recently, started slow but lengthy kayaking excursions...which I REALLY enjoy, as it is true "ME" time, time to enjoy nature and again, how my body feels and works now!!!
I will admit that I am fearful of not losing as much....my losses have been just average...but I feel great and am happy with all of the inches that are no longer!
I am being extrememly cautious not to overdo, and I always keep a RTD with me.
I thint that it is not just the exersize that I am craving, it is adventure and the good feeling that comes from working all of my muscles and being outside!
This morning I woke up really late! I was on the lake for hours yesterday, in the sun, swimming, paddling away...as happy as can be. Today I do feel a little tired, so I will go easy, and perhaps just take an easy walk.(I did feel new muscles in my abdomen today...yay!!!!!!!)
I do understand that scientifically, it would be best just to lay low for the next
25-30 lbs to disappear.....and that may end up being the case. However, I guess I want to experiment a little to see if I can "feed" my cravings for physical activity and adventure....it just makes me feel so darn good. Also, question to all, if I have been losing muscle until just recently, should I want to try to get a bit of this back?
Let's keep this summertime-exersize thread going...I really do appreciate all of your comments as well as seeing what it is that you all do so successfully.

Last edited by NewPath; 06-30-2012 at 01:54 PM.
NewPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #15  

I was planning on doing the dirty dash this year but my coach told me it wasn't a good idea being this is only my first week on plan. Guess I will aim to get healthy this year and save the mud for next summer!
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote