Old 06-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266/Ticker/150

Arrow Using an Extra Packet

Will using an extra packet (not a restricted item, usually a drink) cause slow down in weight loss or even weight gain? My body is telling me I am not ingesting enough calories, because I am still feeling dizzy and weak, and have shortened and adjusted my gym time accordingly. FYI, I also reduced the number of restricted I use per week, am taking the required salt/oil, and following the IP protocol with meat and poultry about 6 ounces and fish 7 ounces. The one time my clinic tested me (and several ketosis strips at home) show that I was not in ketosis.

Last edited by qsuzi1; 06-29-2012 at 12:40 PM.
qsuzi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #2  
Restart IP 05/19/14

S/C/G: 370/349/150

Height: 5'5"

I supposed it depends on what your total packet intake is. Were you already having a 4th packet on days you work out? If not, then you should. You also should be having 8 ounces of protein with dinner.

It is my understanding that by working out (I haven't been given the okay to exercise on IP Protocol yet) you would add another packet, but by working out without it, AND cutting back on the few extra carbs and calories from the restricted, you may not be ingesting nearly enough food to be considered on plan.

Others here do work out while on IP, so hopefully they can give you more advise than I. Hope you feel better!
mylastdiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #3  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsuzi1 View Post
Will using an extra packet (not a restricted item, usually a drink) cause slow down in weight loss or even weight gain? My body is telling me I am not ingesting enough calories, because I am still feeling dizzy and weak, and have shortened and adjusted my gym time accordingly. FYI, I also reduced the number of restricted I use per week, am taking the required salt/oil, and following the IP protocol with meat and poultry about 6 ounces and fish 7 ounces. The one time my clinic tested me (and several ketosis strips at home) show that I was not in ketosis.
If you workout you DEFINITELY need to add in a 4th packet to your rotation. And especially if you KNOW you are truly hungry and feel it physically I don't think an extra unrestricted could be considered against protocol. Personally, I didn't have any restricteds until I restarted my weightlifting class at Week 8 - you need the extra calories if you are exercising. As a matter of fact, if you over exert yourself and restrict your calories you will go into starvation mode and your body will turn to burning muscle for the 'quick energy'. The standard 3 IP packets + dinner is designed to work with no exercise, we are extremely low at ~900 calories - which is why things need to be tweaked when you start adding in exercise. Also, the new IP protocol sheet (posted somewhere) has the protein allowance set at 8oz (whereas before it was 5-8oz). EAT YOUR FOOD! Make sure to log all your meals and activity to track any more tweaks needed - especially if you are feeling weak and dizzy. Also, not sure how far in you are now, but my coach advised me to avoid exercise the first 2 weeks, then to pick it up at a very low intensity (walking, weightlifting, yoga, pilates), low heart rate, no huffing, puffing, sweating stuff.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #4  
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP

S/C/G: 149/146/115

Height: 5'3

Have the orange drink as an extra packet if you must have one, it's only 1 carb and 80 calories
paulimapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #5  

Thanks for your feedback ladies. I started mild exercise in week 4 and slowly increased. I have been using 3 packets and was never informed about using a 4th if exercising even though my coach was working with me on my 1 pound weight loss issue. I found out about the increase in protein on this site and have been slowly increasing my intake because of my slow weight loss. I just finished week 12. Is the newest protocol NO LESS??? than 8 ounce? I was told it was 6-8 with the higher ounces for fish only. Liz, I do think I have been sending my body into starvation mode, but I am so afraid of gaining weight if I increase the dinner protein.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #6  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

If you are not getting enough protein you will go into starvation mode. It is recommended to have 8oz of meat at night regardless if its chicken, beef, pork or fish. Most definitely have the 4th packet on your workout days. Its better to have the 4th packet than to have something off of program. Don't eat any less of anything, make sure you are getting EVERYTHING in for the day, if you don't this will slow down your losses. Make sure you are drinking a lot of water as well
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #7  

My initial sheet dated 02/07/2011 said 5-8oz of protein, someone recently scanned in and posted on the sticky the newest Phase 1 sheet which states a straight 8oz (no more, no less). Also there were some new veggies added (jicama, and can't remember other) on the Select list. And the change was made to stay on Phase 1 from 90% to 100% goal. It seems information flows to different coaches at different times.

If I seem 'wordy' in my previous post, it's because I am fresh from my coach's P3/P4 workshop on Tue (also went to another P1 workshop 2 weeks before) and the info is still in my brain! All I can tell you is my personal experience and coaching. Personally, I would try tweaking a few things regarding increasing food intake, especially since you are exercising and experiencing low losses - just make sure to log and track everything so you know what is working and what isn't.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuv2bloved View Post
If you are not getting enough protein you will go into starvation mode. It is recommended to have 8oz of meat at night regardless if its chicken, beef, pork or fish. Most definitely have the 4th packet on your workout days. Its better to have the 4th packet than to have something off of program. Don't eat any less of anything, make sure you are getting EVERYTHING in for the day, if you don't this will slow down your losses. Make sure you are drinking a lot of water as well
WHAT SHE SAID!
Old 06-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post
WHAT SHE SAID!
HAHA
Old 06-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #10  

Liz and Wuv, you are both excellent resources and after all this struggle I've hopefully found the solution to my issue. I called the new coach who just started (prior one just left) and she said she would review what I was eating, etc. at my next weight in. She is new with no prior experience and it is my hope that she will learn fast. I will share the input you ladies gave with her so that she will be able to help clients with this same issue. P.S. I usually drink 80 ounces a day. To get back on track with the weight loss, should I increase the dinner protein to 8 ounces AND have the 4th packet (e.g., orange drink) on days where its more than mild (walking or mild swim aerobics) exercise?

Last edited by qsuzi1; 06-29-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #11  

yes, increase your protein to 8oz. When you are walking or doing the mild swim aerobics are you getting your heartbeat up and getting out of breathe? if so, drop it down a notch, just slow and steady. If you are getting that heart beat up then yes add the 4th packet
Old 06-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #12  

Arrow

Quote:
yes, increase your protein to 8oz. When you are walking or doing the mild swim aerobics are you getting your heartbeat up and getting out of breathe? if so, drop it down a notch, just slow and steady. If you are getting that heart beat up then yes add the 4th packet
That's the clarification I needed, thanks Wuv. I feel like a dufus. Even though my coach didn't have the answer or this advice, my frequent symptoms were telling me to eat more and that is was probably starvation. Should I expect a temporary weight gain the first week when I make these changes?
Old 06-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsuzi1 View Post
That's the clarification I needed, thanks Wuv. I feel like a dufus. Even though my coach didn't have the answer or this advice, my frequent symptoms were telling me to eat more and that is was probably starvation. Should I expect a temporary weight gain the first week when I make these changes?
No, I wouldn't think so. Your body will now let go of the fat where as it was holding on to it because you weren't feeding it enough.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 192/see ticker/140

Height: 5'-4"

Does your coach have a body fat monitor? It is possible you are losing fat and gaining muscle, which looks like less pounds on the scale. This happened to me when I did some strength training followed by a hike the next day. I was sore a few days and the scale hardly moved over two weeks. When I had my WI the monitor said I lost over 4% body fat, double what I normally lose. I actually gained 6lbs of muscle (which also messes with your inches measurements-as the muscles enlarge).

As far as feeling weak and dizzy, a agree with everyone about taking it easy. Your body just doesn't have enough carbs to work out very hard. My coach said to have a packet before and after your workout and be sure to drink AT LEAST half you current body weight in oz of water.

You could take a week off from exercising and see how you feel and what the scale does. I have found IP is all about trial and error, just see what works for you!
Baracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #15  

Had a question. As a Type 2 Diabetic I have around 430 pretty consistently going low. low 70s. I keep an eye on it. I have 1/2 a bar when i need to. Hard to only make 1/2 a drink LOL.
Though that is happening each day more or less. I have already cut my meds in 1/2 per my GP DR. If it keeps happening will this really stop my weight loss. It adds up to 3 extra bars a week at that point if you add those 1/2's up.
CJ

Quote:
No, I wouldn't think so. Your body will now let go of the fat where as it was holding on to it because you weren't feeding it enough.
celtsune is offline   Reply With Quote