~~~ STACKED SUMMER VEGETABLE SALAD~~~
**** this is NOT my original recipe....i found this recipe here:
i made a smaller version, used basil instead of dill and added fresh lemon zest!!! HOW DIVINE!!! i also only used half the amount of oil!!
below is the original recipe...
- 3 medium yellow or green zucchini
- Kosher salt
- ... 2 Large Cucumbers
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1 - 2 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
1. With a vegetable peeler or mandolin shave zucchini in thin strips. Salt lightly, then transfer to colander to drain, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, shave cucumbers in strips and thinly slice onion.
2. Rinse zucchini and drain in colander. To assemble salad, in a 2-quart square dish layer one-third each of zucchini, lettuce cucumbers, and onion. For dressing, in a glass measuring cup whisk together lemon juice and oil. Drizzle some of the dressing on layered vegetables. Repeat layering and dressing twice. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or up to 12 hours before serving.
3. To serve, sprinkle salad with fresh dill and pepper. Cut salad in rectangles with a sharp knife; lift out with a spatula.
these are photos of MY VERSION:
first i prepared all my veggies as in the recipe
i started with zucchini and then layered yellow squash
next i layered butter lettuce and red onion and vidalia onions
i finished off the top layer and drizzled the dressing over all.
then i added a chiffonade of fresh basil from my herb garden and fresh lemon zest!!! YUM!!!! smells so gooood!!
this is what it looks like from the side...
i covered it in plastic wrap, pressing down to seal it well and to compress all the veggies and put into the fridge for several hours!!
this is how it looks when you cut a large piece to serve!! YUMMMM
**** it is even better the next day, and is still delish 4 days later!!! Each time i had some I would drain off any liquid that had gathered in the bottom and I think this kept it fresher longer and kept the veggies all crisp!!
Once I decided to stick in some toothpicks and have mini veggie stackers...i topped them with a tiny piece of orange tomato!!
i called them....SUMMER SNACKER STACKERS!!!
this is a great refreshing recipe that i know i will make again and again!! you can always change up the veggies too....yumm....red and green and yellow bell pepper layers????