Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #1  

Default Weight Training INSTEAD of cardio?

I was on amazon reading all the reviews of a book called The Cardio Free Diet by Jim Karas. I'm not so much interested in his diet as I am in the claim that weight training far surpasses cardio. I am following the structure of WW diet and happy with it. But I need to exercise. And I'd like to start a weight training program at home. I don't care for gyms.

I'm thinking of purchasing this book - he has an updated mass paperback version.

What do you think of weight training instead of cardio? Anyone do this? Thanks!
coffeebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 132/100/100

Height: 5'1

Weight training to help hone your body and to burn the calories. It'll make the greatest difference to your appearance.

Cardio is good for general stamina/health and to prepare me to chase my 2-year old niece around without feeling winded.

I've only just started a gym regime and so far it's weights 2 x a week and 30-40 mins of cardio 3 x a week (usually comprised of 10-15 mins on 3 different machines).
Kayriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #3  

Height: 5'4

I do cardio for two reasons; 1 - I'm in the military and I HAVE to, 2 - It's good for your heart and lungs.

If given the choice, I ALWAYS prioritize weight training above cardio... it's the real key to shaping up.

Calories consumed determine your weight gain/loss, but weight training determines your composition.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #4  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

There are lots of people who argue (using science) that weight training is better for fat loss than steady state cardio. I do a bit of cardio because I think it is good for me, but my real efforts always go into weight training.

Check out this article. It's very helpful.

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Artic...Tips_For_.aspx
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

Cardio has been one of the best things for my mental health so regardless of the physical benefits (and there are plenty), I have never felt better than I do after a 4 mile run. I'm just now getting into weight training and I'm still not very consistent though.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #6  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Cardio has dubious health benefits, when done by itself in the traditional run/bike/jump for half an hour or more straight fashion. If you enjoy it, it isn't detrimental, but I do not seek out cardio anymore. Especially when a hard set of lifting or difficult body resistance workouts have me huffing and puffing with an elevated heart rate far more effectively than any treadmill ever has? I get my cardio solely through my strength and flexibility training and have only seen positive benefits to my shape, stamina, AND weight loss.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #7  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Cardio has dubious health benefits, when done by itself in the traditional run/bike/jump for half an hour or more straight fashion. If you enjoy it, it isn't detrimental, but I do not seek out cardio anymore. Especially when a hard set of lifting or difficult body resistance workouts have me huffing and puffing with an elevated heart rate far more effectively than any treadmill ever has? I get my cardio solely through my strength and flexibility training and have only seen positive benefits to my shape, stamina, AND weight loss.
Good point!! I wore a heart rate monitor the other day and my HR was significantly elevated while I lifted. Cardio bores me to tears, so what's the point?

I've seen much better results ramping up my heavy lifting and backing wayyyy off the cardio. I can still sprint if I need to... but why torture myself if I'm getting better results from something I actually enjoy doing?
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #8  
In training to be awesome

S/C/G: 270 / 188.4 / 170

Height: 5'11"

Like the others, I much prefer heavy weight training to cardio, AND I've seen much better physical results from it. Bonus!
Blueberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I will let you know! I have some joint and injury issues preventing me from doing cardio, so all I can do is strength train. I feel good when I lift. I do think lifting plus cutting calories can lead to a decent weight loss. I lost quite a bit without doing ANY exercise for a long time! Good luck.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #10  

I hate weight training; it bores me to tears. So, I only do it in a format that I can stomach---e.g., a circuit training class. It may be better--who knows? All I know is that from June 2011 - Nov. 2011, I lost approx. 45 lbs. by mainly doing cardio with a couple of days a week of the aforementioned type of weight training thrown in (and calorie counting, of course). Also, I have some nice muscle definition in my arms and legs even with my emphasis mainly on cardio.

I think both are important, but fat loss is a result of burning calories, and to me, a cardio session in general burns more calories than most straight-up weight lifting sessions. Now, that isn't always the case as some have attested here, but I think it is generally the case.
Also, the notion that building muscle will allow you to eat much more calories actually is not borne out in reality (I'm not saying that the OP indicated this or that anyone else did, but that is usually one reason stated for the superiority of WL). I posted an article about just that point a few months ago; if I can find it again, I'll repost the link.

I think a combination of both is the best bet for overall health.

Last edited by lin43; 06-30-2012 at 04:57 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #11  

Doing both definatly helps

If you use the weights in a weight training circuit, so you move from one exercise to another you can definatly get your heartrate up, sweat and burn more calories

I fine it helps a great deal but as a female example, my friend has PCOS and combines weight training with cardio per week and has lost more weight by combining than one or the other
sussexrob74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #12  

My weight has gone up since starting but my measurements have gone down a lot! I love it!
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #13  
Rye
Bread

Height: 5'7

Ive read in a few books that weight training is better for weightloss (something about it boosting metabolism and continuing to use up more calories after a workout then you would after cardio).

But doing ONLY one or the other dosnt seem to be that good of a choice, to me. I usually do more weight training then I do cardio (4 days weight and 2 days cardio)
Rye is offline   Reply With Quote