Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #1  
Golden Goose

S/C/G: 333/tracker/150

Height: 5'10

Default I need exercise advice.

Where the **** did you guys start? I did some work-outs I found on youtube, but there weren't many. I'm in between jobs so I can't afford any dvds or gym memberships yet. I'm just wondering where you started and how you got the motivation to wake up every morning with the "i'm going to exercise!" attitude. I want to do it, i just have no motivation to.

yea, i need some of that!
Slush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I started with walking. And some push ups and sit ups in my house.

I also have a bike, so I ride that. And now its summer so I swim in the ocean.
And I started Couch to 5K so sometimes I run. and I have dumbells in my house so sometimes I lift those. And I like yoga so sometimes I do that.

You don't need a gym or DVDs to get in shape and be strong and fit and flexible. Just your body and your mind!

I also use gold stars on my calendar on the days I exercise, since those motivate me!
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #3  
Golden Goose

I love the way you wrote your answer. "I have dumbbells in my house so sometimes I lift those. I like yoga so sometimes I do that." You totally changed my view on things. I feel silly now. I have dumbbells too, well my brother does. And I have an exercise ball. (don't really know what to do with it though, lol.) I also have star stickers from my childhood, and a calendar so i could totally do that. Thank you for replying. I guess I always felt that I'm the type of person that needs to do it the "right way" in order to feel good about doing it. Like going to the gym, seeing the distance on the machine, seeing the calories burned. You're right though. I don't need any of that fancy stuff to get in shape and be strong and fit and flexible. I could seriously hug you right now.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #4  

Look up Zumba videos on YouTube. Fun

Take the dog for a walk ( if you have one, if not take the neighbors dog)

Go for a swim

If you don't have weights use soupcans.

Whatever you do keep it fun. For cardio I do water aerobics and Zumba. If I had to walk on treadmill I would be bored to tears.

Also, checks your local library for workout DVDs to check out. Then you can swap them out.
Neast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #5  
Golden Goose

haha, i've begged my mom to let me get a dog, but she said nope, not as long as she lives here. my neighbors are all kind of odd, so i don't think i'd want to be responsible for their animals. i will check out zumba though, i've heard good things about it.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slush View Post
I love the way you wrote your answer. "I have dumbbells in my house so sometimes I lift those. I like yoga so sometimes I do that." You totally changed my view on things. I feel silly now. I have dumbbells too, well my brother does. And I have an exercise ball. (don't really know what to do with it though, lol.) I also have star stickers from my childhood, and a calendar so i could totally do that. Thank you for replying. I guess I always felt that I'm the type of person that needs to do it the "right way" in order to feel good about doing it. Like going to the gym, seeing the distance on the machine, seeing the calories burned. You're right though. I don't need any of that fancy stuff to get in shape and be strong and fit and flexible. I could seriously hug you right now.
I'm so glad. It's easy to get caught up in "if i'm not at the gym following a perfect routine I'll never be fit" which isn't true.

I went running today. I got one mile and was passing my house again when it started downpouring and thundering so I quit. But you know what, I ran a mile! And tomorrow I can do the same! Every little bit helps and I feel really good about what I did today! (And I get a gold star!)
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #7  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Picking up random things around your house is fun. The other day I was trapped in my house (ok, not literally) and I used random things to do some weight training. I've also used playground equipment to do bodyweight exercises.

Oh and if you can't wake up in the morning, don't worry about it! Despite being a morning person I do most of my exercising in the evenings because of work (well now in the summer I do the mornings—I'm a teacher). I'm not about to wake up at the crack of dawn to go outside or something!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #8  
present!

S/C/G: 200/174/145

Height: 5'3"

I keep motivated by being accountable to myself and to others.
I tell friends I'm going to go do my activity and I would feel bad if I didn't do it and they asked how it went. I feel awesome after I workout, so it's win win... smiles.
I used to bike anywhere less than 4 miles round trip and am currently tuning up my bike so I can start that again.
I've also got an app on my phone that gives out points for workouts accomplished and you can level up and that's kind of silly fun, too.

I don't do exercise that I hate! That's a big one. It needs to be fun activity I look forward to. The only exception to this is running, I forced myself to like running because I knew I had to to get the body I wanted. I ran and ran and one day, I realized I didn't hate it... and another day I realized I missed it when I couldn't. But anything else, if I hate it it's out of the program.

I set long term doable goals because it works with my accountability thing. In January 2011 I pledged to run my first 5k at Thanksgiving, plenty of time to train and I enlisted a friend to run with me and I did it. ran the whole thing. You could walk one, or run a shorter one, I'm doing a 3k next month.

For workouts check out the resources you already have access to as well. I use the library like Neast suggested (although I'm #37 on the hold list for Zumba Cardio, it's going to be awhile).
I have a Netflix streaming account and sometimes do the videos there, I also have a Roku and get fit tv and a few other exercise things. If you have extended cable you get exercise channels there.
Online there are a lot more places that you can get fitness videos than YouTube, like hulu.com and specific types of workout websites like bodyrock.
I'm also on Meetup and there are a few local groups for bootcamp in the park and for let's just get out there and walk/bike/hike that are free or have a minimal membership (like $5.00 a year).

And use the support here when you need it. When I stopped checking in here was when I gained back a lot of my hard earned loss from 2010-2011, I learned the hard way that there is a reason for the maintainer's forum.

We're here for you!
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #9  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i just picked a starting point for what my body was capable of doing and went from there...i always wanted to run but had trouble getting into it, starting off too fast etc, hurting myself...and since it always rains in my alaskan rainforest, i spent some money on myself and joined a gym...getting up and out of the house is how i've always been able to work out, rather than if i have stuff at home to use, i never will because i'm always busy with mommy stuff...and i worked on weight machines, running intervals and climbing hills on the treadmill
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #10  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Library DVDs.

Go outside to walk.
Earn a PALA. https://www.presidentschallenge.org/index.shtml

Keep it simple. It doesn't have to cost anything.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 286/153/155

Height: 5'9

Find something you like doing and set a time aside for when you can do it. I do Leslie Sansone's walk away the pounds. I do it at the same time every day. That is my exercise time and I make myself do it. I don't always want to do it. Sometimes, I put my exercise clothes and shoes on and sit on to couch or check everything on the computer (including 3fc's) I eventually do it, start off slow and at the end feel great. Just get it into your mind that the exercise is going to happen and then make it happen.
Madame Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #12  

Zumba looks fun! Is it an aerobic class for weight loss or a program?
Gilliansoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #13  
Results>Reasons

S/C/G: 196/190/150

Am I the only person that watches Operation Osmin?

You can do an exercise no matter what you're doing. Gotta take a dump or pee on the toilet? Sure, it's your toilet...by why not squat while doing it. Watching TV? Okay...but sit on your exercise ball -- this stimulates your balance and core muscles.

Just doing little changes like that helps dramatically. Park your car in the back lot and walk (easier to get out and avoid the traffic jams...especially at Walmart.) Use the stairs once in awhile, not the elevator. If you have a medium-sized dog...bench press it. No I'm kidding. I'm still amazed that my Cocker still lets me do that without putting up a fight. Run to your mailbox...play tag with kids...etc. etc...
AriesNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #14  
I can do hard things.

S/C/G: 310/ticker,baby/160

Height: 5'7"

Sit on that exercise ball instead of the couch! I'm even taking mine to work to replace my office chair. Check out couch to 5K, too. It's amazing.
swanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slush View Post
Where the **** did you guys start? I did some work-outs I found on youtube, but there weren't many. I'm in between jobs so I can't afford any dvds or gym memberships yet. I'm just wondering where you started and how you got the motivation to wake up every morning with the "i'm going to exercise!" attitude. I want to do it, i just have no motivation to.

yea, i need some of that!
I created a list on the Get Movin' thread just for this purpose. There are a lot of resources on the net and this list help you get a good workout. There are some 90-day programs too like Befitin90.

Click here for the list
PhillyGirl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote